No announcement yet.

Tips for staying up late for work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
    Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Now I remembered something which really makes me freak out a bit.

I knew this spanish girl in my post grad studies.
      She had some kind of medecin pack on her desk.
      Turns out it was medication that old people can take who suffer from mild "dementia" or simply weak mind from old age. It supposedly "perks up" their mind somewhat.

She was taking it! To help her study she said!
      What an incredibly stupid proposition.
      I had also heard horrour stories about some Brit girls taking amphetamins during the exams "to help them go through them". Although in the latter situation I'm not sure wether they were speaking the truth or they were just trying to act "cool" (or what they thought was cool anyway).

To complete the complete idiocy of all of this the spanish girl told me that her dad, who is a doctor-she made a point of underlying that fact, also took them during exams and that they were perfectly harmless...

Pathetic sight I have to say.
      Never understood it. Just do your planning, drink a few greek (or even turkish) coffees and you'll be fine.

Drugs to study... jezaz

Comment

A word of warning on caffeine pills:

When I was in the army, we had a guy who took caffeine pills to stay awake for long periods when we were out training in the woods. After several days of relying on the pills, he decided to take a crap. He went to the latrine pit, squatted over, and while in the process, his fix suddenly wore off. He just keeled over into the pit, woke up a few moments later, and came back smelling really, really bad.
        "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
        - Lone Star

Comment

drink a few greek (or even turkish) coffees and you'll be fine.

Drugs to study... jezaz
          Last time I heard caffine was a drug. I can see the moderate use of amphetamines as a useful aid in studying, at least as useful as coffee. And if you know your body and your own tolerance to amphetamines I would venture that a reasonable dose could help loosen you up in exams. I've certainly argued extreamely well on speed before... it can help you access your memory better (for people with an awful memory like me). Though this may be just my case, as my memory has partially been ruined through drugs, more drugs give you a brief glimpse of all that I've forgotten.
          I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
          Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Originally posted by Graag

Last time I heard caffine was a drug. I can see the moderate use of amphetamines as a useful aid in studying, at least as useful as coffee. And if you know your body and your own tolerance to amphetamines I would venture that a reasonable dose could help loosen you up in exams. I've certainly argued extreamely well on speed before... it can help you access your memory better (for people with an awful memory like me). Though this may be just my case, as my memory has partially been ruined through drugs, more drugs give you a brief glimpse of all that I've forgotten.
            I just think of these things as being crutches (is this the right word in english? like walking stick to help you walk).

I'm sorry if this sounds conceited but that's how I really feel about them.

I also think of it as incredibly stupid.
            To take drugs (fine, drugs stronger than caffeine) to... study?
            To ruin your organism... to study?

I just don't get it, I guess

Comment

I just think of these things as being crutches
              Perfect use of the word, and I agree entirely
              Though that said most things people do are crutches; TV, meaningless conversation, posting on Apolyton etc. etc.

To take drugs (fine, drugs stronger than caffeine) to... study?
              To ruin your organism... to study?
              LOL, again I quite agree... why waste drugs on studying when you could be having fun?!?!?
              And besides, I'm sure the vast majority of people who try just end up learning bugger all and writing ****e.
              Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Drink caffeine, ingest caffeine(pill) according to you then it is the same thing. Caffeine pill is not good for you IMO.

I stick to coca-cola. It's the best. Coffee is too strong for me and it just makes me pee frequently. (Which ruins my concentration)

I only use sleeping pill if I have a 8:00AM final (you DONT want to miss that) and I am having a case of insomnia again... Or either that if I'm just bored....
                :-p

Comment

Though that said most things people do are crutches; TV, meaningless conversation, posting on Apolyton etc. etc.
                  I agree with that too With the exception of meaningless conversations maybe.

LOL, again I quite agree... why waste drugs on studying when you could be having fun?!?!?
                  Precisely my point. I mean drugs are supposed, or at least that should be their primary function, to make you have a blast
                  Not... study

Although I have to say I never did any drugs, for whatever the purpose. Just never saw the attraction to them, that's all.

(here is where you can tell me that alcohol is a drug too and I'll agree again )

Comment

You'd like pot, but then everyone does.

And hey, alcohol isn't a drug, its a drink!
                    Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

You'd like pot, but then everyone does.
                      Nah, I think I'm too old for that now Besides, I had my chances.
                      Fate had it, I had easy access to that in all my life after 18 years old...
                      In University some friends were smoking, hell even in the army (service mandatory in Greece) it was right at the next bed.

But I have to say some of the most interesting and fun to be around people were smoking it.
                      OTOH it did break apart a nice gang of friends at Uni.

In any case, when you're in Amsterdam and what you order is a capuccino, you know you'll never puff the herb in your life

Comment

In any case, when you're in Amsterdam and what you order is a capuccino, you know you'll never puff the herb in your life

Different strokes for different folks. I'm no pusher, but I've yet to meet someone who didn't enjoy it the first time. Ok so maybe I am a bit of a pusher, I just love the look on people's faces the first time they try it. . Kind of like that.

That said I have met a couple of people who really really freak out when they tried it first (only once was I witness, thankfully). I figure some people just can't handle the truth.
                        Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

I have to say most people I've met who were into it, were a bit of pushers. Some more, some less. Which indeed was kind of off putting in what in every other respect they were great guys

Besides, if you want a competition on who would get more totally smashed I can take you down with one hand (or not).

Comment

I have to say most people I've met who were into it, were a bit of pushers.
                            This does tend to be the case, but to be fair to the tokers, its because we think it is so great it is sad that non-tokers don't get to enjoy it.
                            To a large extent the motives are quite altruistic - to spread the joy and love. On the other hand they are also to reinforce the toker's belief that pot is purely a force for, good and that it will not **** them up (which it often does).

Besides, if you want a competition on who would get more totally smashed I can take you down with one hand (or not).
                            You are probably right as far as alcohol is concerned... I have my moments though
                            As far as other drugs go I think I've been more smashed than most people can imagine. Though sometimes in a quite a bad way. Thats the price you pay.
                            Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Different strokes for different folks. I'm no pusher, but I've yet to meet someone who didn't enjoy it the first time. Ok so maybe I am a bit of a pusher, I just love the look on people's faces the first time they try it. . Kind of like that.

That said I have met a couple of people who really really freak out when they tried it first (only once was I witness, thankfully). I figure some people just can't handle the truth.
                              I guess overall I enjoyed it but I dont do it anymore. Frankly I get too paranoid and cant enjoy the experience fully, if I'm not in a comfortable setting. And even small things can trigger Paranoia attacks. (I'm normally paranoid so it probably amplifies it)

Drug of my choice is smokes and booze. Nicotine and alcohol i think actually reduces my paranoia and relaxes me in general.

Or sleep deprivation. Notice that conversation two tired people have sounds exactly the same as 2 high peopl talking?
                              :-p

Comment

I guess overall I enjoyed it but I dont do it anymore. Frankly I get too paranoid and cant enjoy the experience fully, if I'm not in a comfortable setting. And even small things can trigger Paranoia attacks. (I'm normally paranoid so it probably amplifies it)
                                I am a very, very paranoid person, with or without pot. I tend not to get paranoid when smoking pot, as long as I am with friends. Though I have no doubt pot can cause extreame paranoia in heavy users (from personal experience).

Drug of my choice is smokes and booze. Nicotine and alcohol i think actually reduces my paranoia and relaxes me in general.
                                Some would say (well me really) that the paranoia you experience when not smoking and/or drinking is caused by the fact you are not smoking/drinking. I say this as an extreamly heavy cigarette smoker (40-50 per day) and a heavyish drinker.

Or sleep deprivation. Notice that conversation two tired people have sounds exactly the same as 2 high peopl talking?
                                Yes! I think the two states are quite comparable. IMHO sleep deprivation is widely misunderstood and undervalued generally... much wisdom can come from it, as can much sillyness and general fun. Recently I've gotten back into my old lack of sleep patterns (i.e. insomnia), sleep deprivation can be so much fun at times! That said, at certain times you don't half get pissed off at everyone and everything with sleep deprived.
                                Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Working...
                                X