Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends on the kind of music, and it depends on the version of the codec.

WMA 9.0 (which came out today [Jan 7th, 2003] actually as a final version) is really good. A lot of people don't really understand how WMA works and ***** about how it has digital rights management features built in, but all you do is don't enable DRM and all of the stuff you encode with it won't have DRM. Simple stuff.

OGG is also really good. It's the only one that I know of that's free of all patents and is open in just about every sense you can think of, but in my personal experience it's not as good as WMA9. Your mileage may vary.

I've heard great things about AAC. Dolby made it, it's supposedly a tweaked Dolby Digital codec...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Graag
      Which do you use/recommend?
      Where do I find the requisite encoder?
      I rip all of my CDs in WMA9. The encoder is Windows Media Player, which is free.

You can also use the WinXP Plus pack for an MP3->WMA converter, but whenever you convert from one codec to another it ALWAYS sounds worse. You're taking the disadvantages of BOTH codecs this way.

Winamp also has a plugin that converts whatever file you open with it into a WMA7 audio file. WMA7 is also better than MP3 (IMHO of course).
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

WMA and AAC are also the only codecs I know of that support more than two channels (stereo), which means they support 5.1 surround and even higher (both can have unlimited amount of channels)

Comment

Originally posted by BustaMike
          With over 18 gigs of mp3's and hundreds of CD's I feel that I am qualified to say that EVERYONE should encode at at least 224 kbps. Maybe that way I could get higher quality stuff from Kazaa more easily.
          Tell my friend who has over 65GB of it.

(\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Oh duh.

WM9 encoder! yay
            encodes WMA9 and WMV9

Comment

WMA 9.0 (which came out today [Jan 7th, 2003] actually as a final version)
              Good to know, had alot of probs with the beta version.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

And there's WMA9 demos (WMA9 vs MP3 comparisons too)

Comment

Thanks Asher, I shall look into these formats further... all sound good. I'm a big fan of freeware, so OGG sounds good, but I'll probably end up bowing to Big Bill and using WMA.
                  I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
                  Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Doh, more research I need to do... guess I'll end up using WMA anyway, so might as well not bother.
                    I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
                    Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Graag... a few too many threads today. Read my PM and please follow the guidelines in the future.
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                      X