Help for Universities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for Universities

I am doing a search on the American universities, and I'm very interested in the universities on the east coast.

I have already contacted some universities there (NYU, Syracuse, Princeton, Boston, and a few others) although I would like to know from the various Apolytoners who lives in that area if they know of some good (and possibly not too expensive) universities, which offer some good computer courses.

Thanks a lot

Saluti
    "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
    The trick is the doing something else."
    — Leonardo da Vinci
    "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
    "In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio

Yuck, the east coast sucks! Why would you want to go there? It hot and humid or its freezing cold. There never seems to be any thing inbetween.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Well, the east coast is widely aknowledge as one of the best places for universities, so I was just asking if some people knew of some cheaper universities which can offer just about the same as the more expensive ones.

Plus, another reason for the east coast over the west coast is that from the East Coast to Italy is 8 hours of flight, from the West Coast to Italy is 14 hours

Saluti
      "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
      — Leonardo da Vinci
      "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu

Comment

We have such awesome universities in Italy and you're going to fill the pockets of yankee obese teachers :
        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I'm also looking at the Politecnico here in Torino and in Milano, and some other Computer universities around Italy and Europe... it is just that I want to have a full view of all my possibilities before choosing which university to attend .

Saluti
          — Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Well alot of this depends on how much $ you have. All those universities you mentioned are private schools, and there is a huge cost of paying tuition to go to one, though I don't know what scholarships you may be eligible for. Aren't there any good universities in Italy for you to go to?

I see we cross-posted. If there are good universities in Italy and money is an issue you might want to stay in Italy.
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

MIT?
              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Seems like a good choice orange, but how much would it cost him to study there?
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

California has a ton of great school. Stanford, the seven campuses of the UC system, the 19 campuses of the CSU system, Caltech, plus a couple of hundred others. As an added benifet the weather is nice, the girls are prettier, and if you enroll as an exchange student you won't pay any more then you would in Italy.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

MIT: About $36,000 a year, including room and board. This seems like a good price, considering that MIT spends about $56,000 educating its students.
                    Last edited by DanS; January 6, 2003, 19:16.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

My brother went to Syracuse, NY for a year. Seemed to enjoy the experience.

Doesn't really help in the comparison of the universities though.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I wanted as well to study abroad- but studying tough courses in a foreign language where perfection is needed.. that's too much

EDIT: crap grammar due to lack of sleep and tomorrow school restarts after xmas break
                        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Re: Help for Universities

Here is a page that appears to rank grad programs in computer science. Note that while a good grad program doesn't neccisarily mean a good undergrad program (or vice versa) but it's a good place to start (unless you find rankings for undergrad programs, which would be better).

From that list, I see the following on the east cost:
                          MIT
                          Carnegie Mellon
                          Cornell
                          Princeton
                          Harvard
                          Brown
                          Yale
                          Univ. of Mass.
                          Columbia
                          Univ. of Penn.
                          Rutgers
                          Univ. of Rochester
                          Suny - Stony Brook
                          etc.

All of which probably have good undergrad programs (you probably want to check out the department websites for the school to see what classes they offer, and how regularly they offer some of the classes (particularily in the area you're interested).

BTW, of the above, the state universtiies (Univ. of Mass, Univ. of Penn, Rutgers, Suny) will likely be the cheapest, although they'll probably still be expensive cause you'll be from out-of-state.
                          "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

University of Pennsylvania is not a state university.
                            Old posters never die.
                            They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Smith
                              University of Pennsylvania is not a state university.
                              Oops. Silly me.
                              "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Working...
                              X