Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do non-1st language English speakers put a space between their punctuation marks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JEANNY, WO BIST DU!?!?!
    Attached Files
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

WO BIST MEIN GROSSE BANANE!?!?!
      Attached Files
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
        Someone please show us the banana thread!
        I couldn't find it with the on site search engine but maybe someone else might be able to. As long as you're going to be delving into Apolyton's past you might also want to enquire about area 19 a.k.a. the G-Spot.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
          next questuion: numbers.

how come places like china/japan use abarbic numerals today? what did they use before?
          Chinese characters. What else?

Speaking of which, Chinese characters are still used in formal writings for numbers.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Puupertti Ruma

You probably ment that comma is used to mark the decimal point, no?
            I think everyone is confused.

English speaking countries usually use the comma as a '000 seperator and period as a decimal point: e.g 1,352,562.632562
            Curiously commas do not appear after the decimal point.

It can get very confusing for Anglos when you you see €5,36 - or €5.000 - the second being more expensive than the first.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

English people use quotation marks 'strangely'.

They write like this:
              "This is a model sentence," he said.

Whereas, at least Finns, write:
              "Tämä on mallilause", hän sanoi.

I tend to use Finnish punctuation rules when writing English, and I guess it isn't a big deal since no one has complained about it.
              Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

No we don't, the comma comes after quotation marks if at all.

Comment

I didn't know you put the comma before the closing of quotes...hmmm.

Well there is the alternative: use spaces to separate 000s which saves the confusion all round

1 000 000 000.8937897324

or, if you are really strange 1 000 000 000,8937897324
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

S.D. is right. Unless the comma was in the original quote then you don't put it in the quotation marks. Or you're not supposed to any way.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

SD, PH, odd. I think every single book I've read has this way of punctuation. I'll have to go and check...

1 000 000 000,8937897324
                      That's how Finns would put it...
                      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I think every single book I've read has this way of punctuation.

Its an American influence, and so the books probably American. English and English influenced nations are logical with their grammar.

Edit - did a search and found this.

Universal American usage places commas and periods inside quotation marks. British usage does so only if the logic of the quotation requires it.

Comment

Its an American influence, and so the books probably American. English and English influenced nations are logical with their grammar.
                          From the Oxford Dictionary and Usage Guide to the English language, bought from a little quaint shop in the Lake District:

The comma at the end of the quotation, when words such as he said follow, is kept inside the quotation, e.g. 'That is nonsense,' he said. The commas on either side of he said, etc., when these words interrupt the quotation should be inside the quotation marks, e.g. 'That', he said, 'is nonsense.' But the first comma goes inside the quotation marks if it would be part of the utterance even if there were no interruption, e.g. 'That, my dear fellow,' he said, 'is nonsense'.

And yes, this book does separate American and British spellings, and favours the latter...

Then again, from SD's link:

Since most of my international students were taught in schools that followed the British system, I tell them to continue placing their commas and periods as they were taught.

Oh well. I suppose a Finn has no business arguing with a Brit about grammar.

Comment

Why bother with commas with quotations, I mean, some issues of punctuation are so complicated, and quite frankly, superfluous...
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Most people don't even bother with question marks for questions anymore, do they.

Comment

Periods and brackets then?

I put the period outside the end bracket if it's pat of a sentence (like this is).

(If it's a complete sentence, I put the period inside the brackets.)
                                Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                                Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Working...
                                X