No announcement yet.

Captain Beefheart - god?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with Beefheart is that his most novel work (Trout Mask, etc) was so novel that it's become a bit of a sacred cow, and that clouds the fact that a lot of the songs on it aren't very good- bordering on self-indulgent and unlistenable crap in places.

As a straight blues singer he was dynamite, but that's hardly being innovative or influential.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Safe as Milk is a gorgeous, gorgeous album expansively incorporating lots of lovely genres in a brilliant, interesting way.

Then Zappa, that bastard, got hold of him.
      Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
      Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
        Safe as Milk is a gorgeous, gorgeous album expansively incorporating lots of lovely genres in a brilliant, interesting way.

Trout Mask Replica is what happens when two mad geniuses get together. Safe as Milk is a wonderful album too.
        "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
        —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

The problem with Beefheart is that his most novel work (Trout Mask, etc) was so novel that it's become a bit of a sacred cow, and that clouds the fact that a lot of the songs on it aren't very good- bordering on self-indulgent and unlistenable crap in places.
          It's a fair point to make Laz, but nevertheless a good many people think Trout Mask is one of the greatest albumns ever made, myself included. For years I found it physically painful to listen to when it was forced on me in friend's houses... I eventually borrowed it to listen to on my own and slowly slowly fell madly in love with it. There is not one bad note played on the whole albumn, it all connects, geegegeegehheeeeehhhhhhh.

I was under the impression the circumstances were quite different.... Beefheart and Zappa were long time friends but although Zappa produced Trout Mask Replica all the music was written by Beefheart, and Zappa didn't really dig a lot of it.
          I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
          Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Graag, I had a similar experience.

When I first bought Trout Mask Replica (TMR), I immediately put it on my stereo and listened to all four sides straight through. I got such a headache. I vowed I would never listen to it again.

But, since the record was so strange, I would play some of the songs for friends when they came to visit. Everyone I played it for agreed it was strange, but the music was solidly performed. The album had a magnetic quality. I couldn't ignore it for too long. I had to listen to it.

Now, here it is seventeen years since I first bought TMR and I still listen to my favorite cuts regularly, but now on CD.

Listening to TMR the first time compares well to my first taste of Scotch. The first time the flavor is overwhelming and struck me as as offensive, but on subsequent tastings, I overcame the shock and settled into enjoying the taste very much.
            "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
            —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Listening to TMR the first time compares well to my first taste of Scotch. The first time the flavor is overwhelming and struck me as as offensive, but on subsequent tastings, I overcame the shock and settled into enjoying the taste very much.
              Good analagy... an aquired taste, certainly. I'm very surprised so few apolytoners have heard of him (let alone like him!)
              I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
              Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Working...
              X