Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "US will liberate Iraq", says Bush

From BBC.

Sometimes the retorics get so steriotypical you can't help but smile a bit. Maybe it helps that I just read about the russion-finnish winter war where the russions said they attacked premptively to counter finnish agression . Note: I am not saying that all the Bush administration talk is crap, only some of it.

"Send the Marines" by Tom Lehrer seems very appropriate here.
    When someone makes a move
    Of which we don't approve,
    Who is it that always intervenes?
    U.N. and O.A.S.,
    They have their place, I guess,
    But first - send the Marines!

We'll send them all we've got,
    John Wayne and Randolph Scott;
    Remember those exciting fighting scenes?
    To the shores of Tripoli,
    But not to Mississippoli,
    What do we do? We send the Marines!

For might makes right,
    And till they've seen the light,
    They've got to be protected,
    All their rights respected,
    Till somebody we like can be elected.

Members of the corps
    All hate the thought of war;
    They'd rather kill them off by peaceful means.
    Stop calling it aggression,
    Ooh, we hate that expression!
    We only want the world to know
    That we support the status quo.
    They love us everywhere we go,
    So when in doubt,
    Send the Marines!
    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Everyday Bush scares me that little bit more.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Yep. Sounds to me like the country that needs liberating is the US.
      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Well, Iraq is in need of liberation.

It's the "how do we go from Point A to Point B" part that is really scary.
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

11 years in the making, guys. 11.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

More than 11, if you include the years that the US used to consolidate the regime.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I just love the way that Bush is seemingly using external aggression to mask internal problems. By keeping the American public's attention fixed firmly on the "Axis of Evil" he's hiding his flawed domestic programme.

Or maybe it's just that he's a mad son of a ***** who just wants to go and kill as many Iraqi's and North Koreans as possible.

Regardless Bush worries me immensely and Blair isn't exactly impressing me with his loyalty act. Following a madman into the chasm because you're being loyal is rather stupid indeed.

Where next? Iran? Are they going to "liberate and democratise" all the middle eastern countries? China & Turkey have human rights issues, is he going to attack them to "help" them too?

Wonder how much a bomb shelter costs?

Comment

Maybe you can room with David in the Sudan.

Comment

I just love the way that Bush is seemingly using external aggression to mask internal problems. By keeping the American public's attention fixed firmly on the "Axis of Evil" he's hiding his flawed domestic programme.
                    Say "hitler" and media will make up some story about you, forcing you to resign.

Comment

I am growing more and more skeptical that a war will actually break out. The inspectors don't seem to be finding anything, and it's questionable whether UNSC approval can be gained. Without either of the two polls show support for a war at only 20%, which is just too low support. I think it is likely war will be averted.
                      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

The problem is that Bush is painting himself into the corner with the war rhetoric coming out of the administration.

The DPRK's squirreliness is timed to coincide with the Bush focus on Iraq, so if Bush doesn't thump either ones ass, and doesn't come away with something that can be at least semi-convincingly spun as a favorable diplomatic resolution, then two of the three nations in his axis of evil will have played him for a chump on the world stage.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Bush resigning could only be a good thing surely? His attitude, which seems very hawkish indeed, really does scare me especially with the potential of it going nuclear in North Korea.

The whole "Axis of Evil" speech was a masterstroke by Bush. He managed to destroy years of patient diplomacy with these nations in 10 mins or so. Good work sir!

Wonder what would have happened if he'd been the US President during the Cuban missile crisis. You've gotta suspect that we'd not still be around and the cockroachs would be ruling the world by now with their axis of evil...

They always said that Bush was weak on foreign policy before he was elected. Guess he hired himself Rambo as his National Security Advisor.

Comment

Bombs are going to fall, I know that.
                            Can't tell you how, I'd have to kill you.
                            Wait a sec. Maybe this will work out after all.
                            I think MtG is right about N Korea's timing.

Comment

Originally posted by Demerzel
                              The whole "Axis of Evil" speech was a masterstroke by Bush. He managed to destroy years of patient diplomacy with these nations in 10 mins or so. Good work sir!
                              The DPRK "diplomacy" was a joke - they admitted having a weapons development program in place that was a clear violation of the agreed framework, thinking they'd bargain it away for more aid. That weapons program predated the Axis of Evil speech by two years, so there goes any pretense of good faith there.

Saddam's been defying the UN and playing games, and bought plenty of time to mothball and hide his weapons programs, if any. There's no "diplomacy" with Saddam's continuous defiance, I just don't see an adequate casus belli to justify the cost and extent of the US military commitment necessary to thump his ass.

The US negotiated with the Khatami side of the Iranian government, but while Khatami said (and no doubt wanted to do) one thing, Khamanei and his cronies did their thing. I think it was stupid on Bush's part to publicly insult the Iranians, because that undercut Khatami domestically, and forced him to kowtow more to the Ayatollah crowd that he can't be rid of yet, but the other two countries are useless thugocracies. Just not enough so to go to war over.

They always said that Bush was weak on foreign policy before he was elected. Guess he hired himself Rambo as his National Security Advisor.
                              That would be "Ricebo"
                              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
                              X