Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reccomend some good "rebuilding civilization" books.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reccomend some good "rebuilding civilization" books.

A random event triggered a 10 years old memory of Jules Verne's "The Mysterious Island" and I got a strong urge for some similar (but more modern) book.

Do you have anything to reccomend?
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Das Kapital
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Last one of the style I've read... The Postman by David Brin. Some nice thinking about how humans tend to be swept away by the greater trends of events. I'm still not sure if its ending is cool or corny, though. Tells about a guy deceiving people into thinking that a new postal system and a government has been established in a post-nuclear war US and finding out that people fall for it so well that they actually do establish a government and postal system.
      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

I'd heartily recommend A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr. It deals with the thousand-year reconstruction of civilization after a nuclear war. It's got a fascinating element in that the Catholic Church is the agent that preserves the few remnants of civilization that exist -- but in their efforts to preserve, they of course interpret through a religious lens, and so they make a lot of mistakes about what various things mean. It's not an action-packed book, so if that's what you're looking for then this isn't for you. If you're up for something thoughtful and reflective, though, you might enjoy it rather a lot.

I would also recommend Earth Abides by George R. Stewart and even Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank.

I hope that helps. Enjoy!

**Edited for capitalization**
        Better living through tyranny

Comment

Originally posted by Ubergeek
          I'd heartily recommend A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. MIller, Jr. ...

I hope that helps. Enjoy!
          Hehe, Chris 62 just offered the same on CFC. With two people saying it's a good one, I guess i'll start reading it.
          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Didn't "The Postman" novel end on an Amazon-ish note?
            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I feel sorry for David Brin. I've read some of his books (Uplift series) and thought they were pretty good. Then I noticed a note on the About the Author section at the end of one: "David Brin's novel The Postman is currently being made into a major motion picture starring Kevin Costner"

You poor, poor bastard.

Comment

Ah I remember that book. A classic. And damn fun too.

Comment

LOL, yeah The Postman was just about as bad as a movie can be and not actually kill the viewers outright. I remember the brouhaha over Waterworld and I actually liked that movie a lot, so I went into The Postman thinking, "How bad can it be?"

Unfortunately, I learned how bad it can be. I couldn't even finish watching it, I turned it off about a third of the way in.
                  Better living through tyranny

Comment

Read the book well before the movie came out, and enjoyed it enough to anticipate the movie. hahahahaha
                    MOVIE SUCKED REAL BAD.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

"Z for Zacariah"- Robert O'Brien
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

'The Postman' is a very good book - it's a shame about the film.

A good one to read is Stephen King's 'The Stand'.
                        STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X