The Chinese "problem"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chinese "problem"?

Is China going to be a problem for the west? Will China become a superpower anytime soon and will there be a new cold war?

A friend of mine once said that China should be destroyed before they get too powerful. Even today they can probalby easily conquer half of Russia and most of Asia if they want to.
    And of course theres the environmental questions like what will happen when all Chinese families get cars an so on.

Or is everything gonna be allright?
    CSPA

Substitute "China" with "America", and take a look at your post again.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Someone suggesting destruction of a nation just because they are powerful should be destroyed. If they were aggressive, OK, but China has had nukes for years and could conquer lots of countries but does not.
      And don't worry aboyt Chinese cars.
      If all Chinese used cars the way Americans do, after one year there would be no oil left on the planet so the pollution wouldn't accumulate for a long time.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Re: The Chinese "problem"?

Originally posted by Gangerolf
        A friend of mine once said that China should be destroyed before they get too powerful. Even today they can probalby easily conquer half of Russia and most of Asia if they want to.
        This isn't a computer game.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

We're just waiting for that huge frigging dam to fill up then we're going to torpedo it!

Superpowers bore me.

Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Re: The Chinese "problem"?

Originally posted by Gangerolf
            Even today they can probalby easily conquer half of Russia and most of Asia if they want to.
            When the Chinese stuck their big toe into northern North Vietnam, the NVA stomped on it good and sent the Chinese scurrying for home.

Comment

The following is a complete list of invaders that the Vietnamese haven't sent scurrying for home...
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I think your bloodthirsty friend has little to worry about. China seems more interested in space exploration, maglev railways, agricultural biotech, and the like than invading anybody - which is more than can be said for a great many nations of smaller military stature.

As for superpower status, it's hard to see that far into the future. Certainly China is well on the way to "great power" status. If they can sustain the present rate of development (a formidable challenge) they may well, in some decades, attain superpower status.

Right now China is completely pre-occupied with its whirlwind internal development. Please inform your rather simple-minded friend the he may sleep peacefully, at least for the foreseeable future.
                Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Also, tell your blood-thirsty friend that if the US and China ever come to war, it would be of apocalyptic proportions where the US can forget all their population centers west of Mississipi.

The only winner of this war would be Osama bin Laden and his fundamentalist brethrens.

Comment

China!
                    Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

China will be a superpower again, no matter what the West nor anyone else does about it. Historically China has been the most powerful nation on Earth, and the last two-three hundred years are just a period when they were overtaken by external barbarians. The Middle Kingdom will rise again.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Yes, but with a nicer face .
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

One hopes.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Perhaps as China modernizes, its development will help drive the scientific effort to find a better energy source for humanity than oil, coal and fissionable nuclear energy. After all, an industrialized nation of 1 billion plus people — combined with America, Russia and Europe — would surely deplete the coal and oil resources fairly rapidly.

C'mon, fusion power! We need a breakthrough there!

Gatekeeper
                            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I agree with those who have said that China does not appear to be a threat in the immediate future. However, China's demographic trends are a nightmare and I'm worried about what's going to happen a generation or two down the road. Let's hope it all works out all right.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X