I met a guy once...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I met a guy once...

Tell a bit about the exceptional people you've met, both guys and dolls but keep it clean please.

Meet Oleg...

I first met Oleg in the Zone chatroom where we were finding new Civ2 games to join. We got in the same game and became allies and we got chatting. He was single, from the Ukrain but living in Philidelphia. I mentioned my house in the Phils if he ever wanted to travel, and even meet a nice gal. We also got on each others friends list for communication. The next day he sent me a message asking for more info about the Phils and some of Dolores's friends who wanted pen pals. He wanted to go and since Dolores was about to head home they traveled together.

After the flight Dolores told me that he was a tad odd...He had gotten a butter on the plane in a plastic and foil package, and after considering it he announced he was going to give it to one of his pen pals.

Though odd, Oleg was harmless, professed his faith now and again, dropped all the nice catholic friends of Dolores and announced he would only be interested in baptists, which would require another trip as there wasn't time left to find elusive baptist women in this prdominantly catholic country. This is how I got to meet him, on the next trip.

A couple of years later Dolores and I went together for a 6 month stay in our almost finished house. Oleg came to visit and look for baptist churches which might contain baptist gals. He was a good guy, brought his laptop along and we played 'Bombing the Reich' or something like that. He also gave us a container of Tang which was mostly ruined as it had been left open and the humidity had turned the rest into orange rock. Oleg was getting the rep of a gifter of bizarre and useless items.

Well, he didn't find that perfect someone and was there again this last trip. Now this trip was during the war on terror and the Mulims in the Phils were doing their nasty part. The bastards had kidnapped a catholic Philippine nurse doing aid work among the moslem population on the southern island of Mindanao and were holding nurse Yap for ransome along with 2 american missionaries, the Burnham couple.

Anyway, Oleg went to the papers and offered himself to the moslems in trade for nurse Yap, it was a big story in the Phils for a few days. He felt that as a christian it was his duty to follow in the footsteps of Jesus and offered his life up so that the innocent might be spared.

There was a reaction from the moslem leadership, but before the ball got rolling the whole idea was nixed by the Philippine government which had enough on it's plate. There was even a statement from the commander of American forces whom Oleg got to meet. The story did quell some of the negative press created in the Phils by american efforts on behaf of the Burnhams which never mentioned nurse Yap. Here was a guy ready to give it all up for a Philippino.

Anyway, Oleg was never joked about as a giver of useless gifts again, and continues to look for the right gal in the Phils, though gossip is he's courting someone special these days. Nurse Yap and Mr Burnham were killed in a rescue operation. Mrs Burnham will continue her misionary work after a rest.
    -------------------------------------------

Meet anyone interesting?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

I'll take it as a sign of the times that there have been 30 page views and nobody has ever met anyone interesting...

Comment

.... meet..... people....
      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Your long and detailed story has scared people away.

We all have met interesting people before, but we don't have the inclination to write a story comparable to yours.

Comment

Yah, a potential martyr. I don't think anyone hear can really beat that. We're all pretty anti-social people, that's why we're here. Odds of us meeting anyone are slim... and someone like that, no way.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

If I had such a thrilling life I wouldn't waste so much time on poly, huh
            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Well in a few minutes, I'm heading out of town to visit my best buddy from high school...who's now a girl and his--I mean her--wife. That's way more interesting than anything I'd ask for.

But in the past, he stuck by me in some really tough times, and in fact probably saved my life. Now, he--er she--is out of work and pretty much socially ostricized. So I'm off to pay back part of the all the things she's done for me over the years.

Comment

Mmm. For some reason, I got to thinking about this one kid that I, for a relatively short time, knew in elementary school. We were maybe ten, weren't really friends but chatted a couple of times. His family had immigrated from Rumania - he spoke pretty good Finnish, so I guess he either was born in Finland or the family immigrated when he was a baby. His name was Marius. And boy, did Marius tell huge, entertaining whoppers.

There was, let's see, where to start, his Nintendo. Super Nintendo. According to him, he had built it himself, from the scratch. He had also built all the games. One of them was called Super Marius. It had him (naturally), and the game also had his classmates, and this girl he had a crush on, and stuff. Of course, if he ever got bored with his Super Nintendo, he could play in his ninja costume. He, naturally, had a complete ninja costume and had been trained by a ninja master.

Then he had a joystick which he used to move the Earth and dodge the meteorites, a clock which he could use to measure human temperature and heartbeat and whatnots, he knew where the strongest weapon in the world was (it was, IIRC, a dagger which could CUT THROUGH ANYTHING), not to forget the time when he was attacked by Indians (the Native American type) in his bedroom and had to fight them off. He told these all as a stone-cold truth. I mean, lots of kids pass stories off as truth (I remember hearing a story about how one classmate had shagged his cat and how two others had had bumsex) but Marius put energy in his creations.

Oh yeah, and there was the time when there was a solar eclipse, and hysterical Marius was running around and shouting that the world was going to end.

Then he moved to somewhere. It might have been Oulu.
                "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

It's not really that I met one particular person who was outsandingly odd, but more that most of my friends are quite a bid odd, in a nice way, but not as odd as THAT guy!
                  "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                  Drake Tungsten
                  "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                  Albert Speer

Comment

Zkribbler, I commend you on your loyalty to your friends. Btw, are you sure you don't live in SF? Gotta be California anyway. Good luck to you and your mission, it's going to be...emotional.

Stefu, that sounds like the guy on the night clean up crew at the store I work graveyard at. According to this crapper cleaner he was going back into the airforce, they wanted him to flew jet fighters, though he prefered choppers. "I'm not a fixed wing kinda guy" He was also a great chef, in fact he had been washing dishes at his previous job from which he got canned. He was just too wierd and they canned him from store too. Never knew what was going to come out of his mouth next.

Good story Stefu.

Guys, don't worry if you think your interesting guy doesn't measure up to Oleg, nobody measures up to Oleg...

Comment

The Philadelphia, and Phillippines is confusing. Up to the end of your story I was wondering why I never heard of people kidnapped by Muslims in Philadelphia.
                      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Eli, your post is hard to read, please mispel in the future, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X