No announcement yet.

The College Bowl Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The NCAA SHOULD be more like the NFL. A playoff should be held now.

Outside of those 2 teams, USC didn't beat anyone ranked in thetop 25 since losing to Wash State...

There are many teams that played 6 ranked teams? And seeing their last two games they beat the #12 and #3 teams by a combined score of 82-30, I'd say they are legit.

Btw, Ohio State's strength of schedule is 20. And your stating that there are 100 teams indicates that one cannot play even a minimum amount of teams in order to say that they are the best team. Even if Miami wins, who is to say they are the best? Have they beaten Washington State or Kansas State? Maybe they would have lost to those teams?

Btw, comparing percentages to 117 teams is ludicrous. We all know there are around 30-40 teams that actually mean anything from year to year.

And teams change over the year. Some teams (like USC) get better over the year's passing. USC has by far been the best team in the last two months. If you combine that with their above average team in the first two months, I think you could make an argument for them being the best team over the entire season.

Btw, how many ranked teams Ohio State played? Yep, 3.
    Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; January 3, 2003, 18:29.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

LET THE RIOTS BEGIN

It's almost game time!!!!!!!!!!

I have my Buckeye jersey on.
      A case of beer in the fridge.
      Plenty of food in the house
      My car locked in the garage.

Everything is ready for the Ohio State victory

GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      God---He's my favorite fictional charater.----Homer Simpson

Comment

I'm not going to beat this to death... because that's already been done.

There'll always be debate. Look at the Raiders and Steelers bleating about being better than the Patriots last year. Playoffs won't end that.

The NCAA doesn't want to have players playing during exams, but apparently you may still get your playoff

Schedules are assembled some time before the season starts. USC probably had a difficult schedule which was made harder when ND overachieved. By contrast, Miami's sked with Florida, FSU, and Tennessee looked tough - but all 3 teams had off seasons. That's not Miami's fault. As I said, you can only beat who you play.

Yes, you COULD make an argument that USC was the best. And if they had beaten WSU and KSU, I'd agree with you. But they didn't, and I don't see ANYTHING like the controversy we had last year, when Nebraska got into the final. Like it or not, the BCS worked this year.
        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Look at the Raiders and Steelers bleating about being better than the Patriots last year. Playoffs won't end that.

Yes it will. The only reason anyone listens to the Raiders is because of a wierd rule. Everyone else has no argument.

Like it or not, the BCS worked this year.

No it did not. I am not convinced that Ohio State is better than Iowa, USC, OR Georgia. And their record STILL does not convince me. I do not think that OSU could beat Iowa, USC, or Georgia in a game. The BCS did not work, because we do not know if the two best teams are playing for the national championship (and they probably aren't).
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            The BCS did not work, because we do not know if the two best teams are playing for the national championship (and they probably aren't).
            Why wasn't this terrible controversy in the papers??

You and a few other diehards are pretty much alone on this, Imram. Miami and OSU are 1 and 2 in every poll.
            "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Why wasn't this terrible controversy in the papers??

It has been on ESPN. Plenty of the College Football folks believe the system is flawed. And of course it's been in the papers... when they speak of how flawed the BCS is and how playoffs are needed.

Comment

Here is something to consider.

BCS forming committee; playoff could result eventually
                By JOSH DUBOW, AP Sports Writer
                January 3, 2003

PHOENIX (AP) -- The Bowl Championship Series will form a committee to discuss changes that eventually could lead to a college football playoff.

One president from each of six conferences -- the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and Southeastern -- will be picked for the committee this month. They are expected to make a recommendation in 2005.

``There are four options. We can go back to the old system, we can stay where we are, we can tweak it, or we can go to a playoff,'' BCS coordinator Mike Tranghese said Friday. ``We're going to spend some time and talk about all of them.''

The BCS is committed to a second rotation of the championship bowls, which began Friday night with the Fiesta Bowl between No. 1 Miami and No. 2 Ohio State.

The next three title games will be in the Sugar, Orange and Rose bowls before the contract runs out after the 2005 season.

ABC, which has a $525 million, seven-year contract to televise the BCS games, has an exclusive negotiating period in the second half of 2005 to keep the games on the network.

The BCS was formed in 1998 in an effort to match the top two teams in a national title game. The system is not problem-proof and some people would prefer a playoff system.

``My presidents don't want to play football in December during exams and they don't want to play in the second semester,'' said Tranghese, the Big East commissioner. ``They ask if the regular season is healthy and the answer is a resounding 'Yes.' They ask if a playoff would affect that and the answer is 'Yes.' Just look at basketball.''

A more likely solution would be to add one game after the existing bowls to determine the national champion.

``It's not a home run like everyone thinks. A lot of issues have to be resolved,'' Tranghese said.

In three of the first five years, the BCS system worked smoothly, with a consensus over the top two teams.

But in 2000 and 2001, there were disputes over who should play in the title game, and this year the Rose Bowl was upset about not having its traditional matchup between the Big Ten and Pac-10.

In 2000, Miami believed it should have played Oklahoma for the title instead of Florida State. The Hurricanes beat the Seminoles in the regular season.

Last season, Nebraska played Miami for the title even though the Cornhuskers didn't win their conference.

This year, Ohio State went to the Fiesta Bowl, and the Orange Bowl picked Iowa with the first at-large selection, leaving the Rose Bowl with Big 12 champion Oklahoma against Pac-10 champ Washington State.

The Orange Bowl was dubbed ``Rose Bowl East'' for its matchup between Iowa and Southern California.

The Rose Bowl attendance of 86,848 was the lowest since 1944 in the 91,000-seat stadium. Tranghese said changes for the Rose Bowl will be discussed, but only if they don't hurt the other three BCS games.

``I think what transpired this year blind-sided them,'' he said. ``They didn't expect it. It will take some time for them to adjust.''

Tranghese doesn't see any sentiment for returning to the old system that had conference champions locked into bowls and led to three split championships in eight years.

``I think we had a system 10 years ago that was awful,'' Tranghese said. ``Ten years ago, Ohio State wouldn't be playing Miami. The BCS solved that.''

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
                  The NCAA doesn't want to have players playing during exams, but apparently you may still get your playoff
                  Funny... it doesn't stop every other division from holding a playoff during December. Places where academics tend to be more important than athletics...
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

They could just give University of Texas the crown on a yearly basis.
                    The Longhorns play tough teams all year every year.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      They could just give University of Texas the crown on a yearly basis.
                      The Longhorns play tough teams all year every year.
                      The operative word is play not beat tough teams.

ACK!

Comment

BCS is full of it.

What about the OTHER conferences? Like Conference USA or....the WAC? Just because they are smaller doens't necessarily mean that the conference is junk. I think that if they make a committee, it should have ppl from EACH conference instead of a select few.

BCS is full of s*** in my NOT HUMBLE opinion.
                        Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                        Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                        *****Citizen of the Hive****
                        "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

But I would prefer a play-off system instead of this stupid-a** points crap.
                          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically

Comment

Hi Franky, Do I really need to say anything?

ACK!

Comment

Kickoff coming up. Let's go Buckeyes!
                              "People sit in chairs!" - Bobby Baccalieri

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                                Hi Franky, Do I really need to say anything?

ACK!
                                what's up? I'm just stopping by.

....and NO, you don't need to say anything at all....stupid UH losing to Tulane.

Comment

Working...
                                X