• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juggler
    Albania - (answer)
    Very good
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

It has something to do with the fact that it was Roman province
      Trajanus.

Comment

Aotearoa - much cooler than New Zealand
        be free

Comment

Germany in Lithuanian - Vokietija
          in Polish - Niemcy
          Last edited by Sonic; December 26, 2002, 21:08.

Comment

Norway: Norge (pron. Norr-geh). Some people say Noreg but don't listen to them.
            CSPA

Comment

Here's one of those "lost in the translation" samples.

Texas translates to Tejas in Spanish.
              Tejas translates to Roofing Tiles in English.

And we have a Free Trade Agreement with Mexico ???
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                Tsk tsk! Tedeschi are how germans are called in Italy, of course we call the country Germania, as the roman province
                I was close
                Mihai- aren't most of city names in Romania based on a legacy of the roman heritage? As Cluj-Napoca, Alba Iulia, Constanta?
                True only Napoca. I am not sure about Alba Iulia. Constanta is near the ancient greek city of Tomis. Damn greeks, they colonised all the coast
                "Respect the gods, but have as little to do with them as possible." - Confucius
                "Give nothing to gods and expect nothing from them." - my motto

Comment

I thought Alba Iulia was the name for city build above the ruins of Decebal's Sarmizegetuza, back at the Dacia times
                  I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

germany - a beloved child has many names
                    CSPA

Comment

Croatia = Hrvatska
                      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I live in Nederland, although in English it is often refered as Holland.

Holland is only a part of the Netherlands or "Low Countries" (since it is below sea-level), much like England is only a part of Great-Britain.

In Dutch, Germany is: Duitsland. Mark the similarity between Dutch and Deutch/Duits. Common ancesters

In most languanges, the Netherlands, if not refered to as Holland, bear names that do justice to its name: the low countries.
                        -Niederlande
                        -Pays-Bas
                        -Pajos bajos (sp?)
                        -Netherlands
                        -etc
                        -etc

I guess we are truly Native to this place

Yep, the best place to be
                        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Germans are called in Finnish Saksalainen, I guess their word for the country is simlar. Right?
                          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by germanos
                            I live in Nederland, although in English it is often refered as Holland.

Holland is only a part of the Netherlands or "Low Countries" (since it is below sea-level), much like England is only a part of Great-Britain.
                            England is a country in its own right though, unlike Holland.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

England is, um, England...Britain is...Britain...United Kingdom is...United Kingdom...

Does England really class as a country in its own right? A footie team does not a country make!

Wales - Cymru...I think that comes from Cwm, which is valley.

Comment

Sumoi.
                                Rossiyskaya Federatsiya.
                                Sovietskii Soyuz.

[QIPTE] England is, um, England...Britain is...Britain...United Kingdom is...United Kingdom...[/QUOTE]

I thought they called it America
                                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Working...
                                X