Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The official Apolyton Movie Thread

Use this thread to talk about any movie you want. Preferably good movies

I mentioned in the Nemesis thread about a new Spike Lee movie called 25th Hour. While I don't like Spike's recent movies this movie might be pretty good. The Yahoo box office results only show it in 5 theatres. You can bet none of those are in Las Vegas. I will have to wait until next year for that one.

Has anyone seen Adaptation? It's supposed to be from the guy who did Being John Malkovich. Spike Jonze I guess his name is. I don't think that is his real name . That looks pretty good.

Box office results: http://movies.yahoo.com/boxoffice/latest/rank.html

Downloading It's A Wonderful Life right now
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

Ice Age is a must see. Its so funny, and best of all its coming out in the US on DVD just in time for Christmas.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I'm watching It's a Wonderful Life right now.

I fully admit I have never seen this film before

Comment

Bah!

Does no one go to movies anymore?

I guess I'll have to see these movies and review them myself.

Anyone seen Road to Perdition? I may see this one when it comes out on DVD rental. I don't think it's in the theaters anymore.

Comment

Tomorrow (the 25th) I'm seeing LOTR: The Two Towers
            The 26th I'm seeing Catch Me If You Can
            The 27th I'm seeing ST: Nemesis
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

ahh good, someone who watches movies

Comment

It's been a while and I gotta play catchup.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Hmm.....I've seen only a couple of movies in my life. Hunt for Red October, Beginning of that other psuedo-russian submarine movie, sum of all fears, beautiful mind, and a couple of others I can't remember. The only two I liked were Hunt for Red October and A Beautiful Mind.
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I feel free to recommend:

John Sayles's The Secret of Roan Inish, a beautiful tale set in the isles off Ireland, concerning the mysterious seal folk and a family who have a connection with them. The landscapes are ravishing (so are some of the men) and it's a marvellous story all round- with a happy ending too.

Peter Weir's Picnic at Hanging Rock- one of the defining films of 70s Australian cinema, about the strange circumstances of the disappearance of some girls from a school picnic at Hanging Rock. Many people believe it to be based on a true story, but as the information centre at Hanging Rock points out, Joan Lindsay's novel is fiction. It's simply that the novel and film are so good, they convince people of the reality of the fictional worlds they create.

Euzhan Palcy's Rue Cases Negres- a young boy and his grandmother trying to survive in the racially divided milieu of a French Caribbean island. His education in life and school is filmed so humanely and perceptively it transcends 'racial' boundaries. If you liked Central Station, you will enjoy this film.

Night of the Demon- classic black and white British horror/ghost story based on the M.R. James short fiction, 'Casting the Runes', with Dana Andrews and a host of British character actors. Similar to the original 'Haunting' in creating an eerie atmosphere with the minimum of special effects. A ghost story for Xmas is traditional, after all...

Feliz Navidad and a Happy Christmas to all.
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Has anyone seen the Gangs of New York? It looks like it could be a great movie - except for the fact it has deCrapio starring in it.

I saw LOTR: THe Two Towers yesterday, which was damn good - much better than the first, and the new Star Trek movie the day before, which was pretty crappy.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

Actually I think DeCaprio has redeemed himself. I'm so glad he didn't start making romantic films and such.

I do want to see gangs of New York. Probably next week for me.

Comment

I finally got around to watching Oceans 11 on HBO today. Not a bad movie. I'd say it is good. I'm from Las Vegas so this is basically required viewing . The security setup seemed a bit too extravagant. I can't imagine they would have that much security. I work for a company that has $6.5 million poorly guarded... That gives me a plan...

Anyways it was a decent movie. Although Julia Roberts didn't impress me. But she never does. I've never been a fan of hers. The only movie I liked from her was Flatliners. She is starting to look old. Such is the way the world works I guess.

Comment

Dissident: ME TOO . We probably watched Ocean's Eleven at the same time . Pretty damned fun movie, I thought. George Clooney, Brad Pitt, and Matt Damon are three 'heartthrobs' that actually make cool movies and don't play pretty boys.

I really want to see 'Catch Me if you Can'. Leo DeCaprio is starting to do that Brad Pitt / George Clooney thing: turning from a heartthrob into an actor that does cool films.

And of course, the Two Towers! I'm waiting until I get back to Atlanta, so I can see it with my friends.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I don't get the catch of someone actually going to the cinema... You can see this stuff from TV after couple of years...

Comment

Working...
                              X