College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apocalypse

There are many state schools (Texas A&M, Virginia Military Institute) with average SAT scores in the mid 1200s. That isn't really anything to brag about.
    I didn't say it was something to brag about. What does mean is that it isn't a crappy school and it isn't deserving of a snooty comment like the one Kepler made about it.
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Re: College

Originally posted by Caesar the Great
      Well applications are due January 1st and I still don't know where I want to go.... still have tons of work to do on them... great way to spend christmas vacation I just have two questions for anyone who knows more than me...

Firstly, has anyone had any experience with the following colleges? I haven't visited a single one, but I'm applying to them: Chicago, Dartmouth, Wash U, Tufts, Rochester, Union, SUNY Geneseo, SUNY Buffalo

Lastly, how do I send the applications?
      I've found that as far as the college, it doesn't really matter. They're all the same, just different buildings. Unless of course one has some particular special program that you like... but I think you'll find that doesn't even matter. Nitpicking over what one college has over another seems alot more important in high school than when you're actually there.

I think its all about location. Choose the school thats in the city or part of the city that most appeals to you. Your location will affect the next 4 years of your life alot more than what your classroom looks like in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi I didn't say it was something to brag about. What does mean is that it isn't a crappy school and it isn't deserving of a snooty comment like the one Kepler made about it.
        Shi --

1. It's a crappy school and a toilet paper degree. Better to go to a HVAC training school where you might actually learn something marketable.

2. Sorry if you have a problem with certain schools being better than others. The guy who posted the question should know that degrees carry baggage and are also reflective of real differences in the education you get. To say "they're all equal" is horrendously inaccurate and bad advice.

3. If you are looking for pompous, look at the top of the thread, where some ignorant imbecile decided to gratuitously throw in the usual dittohead mush about liberal bias and blah blah blah.

4. Now go finish up your degree. This nation is facing a critical understaffing at Wendys.
        It is much easier to be critical than to be correct. Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

go to SCU! santa clara baby!

and as for certain schools being better than others, its really what YOU do in college, not where you go. You make your college experience.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

"1. It's a crappy school and a toilet paper degree. Better to go to a HVAC training school where you might actually learn something marketable.

2. Sorry if you have a problem with certain schools being better than others. The guy who posted the question should know that degrees carry baggage and are also reflective of real differences in the education you get. To say "they're all equal" is horrendously inaccurate and bad advice."

Have you been to SUNY- Geneseo? Unless you have, or you know someone who has been there and has heard, shut up. Princeton Review for one, seems to have to a more positive outlook:

Academics
            Future undergrads seeking a small-school experience at state-school prices would do well to consider SUNY Geneseo, the competitive liberal arts campus located in one of the system s northern outposts. Gushes one student, "Geneseo s greatest strength is in academics. I was warned that it would be hard to access professors at a state school, but at Geneseo, nothing could be further from the truth. My class sizes are small, my professors all know me personally, and they are always available to discuss anything with their students. The academic work is incredibly challenging it requires a lot of time and effort to succeed here. I m proud of the rigorous academic standards at Geneseo." Other students warn, however, that "professors vary by department, and it s very clear that there is a bias toward specific departments that the school is known for." The school s most prominent programs include "excellent" dance and theatre programs, a "great" school of business, and popular psychology and biology departments. The best professors here "take time to get to know you on a personal level and are extremely accessible inside and outside of the classroom. Because our university is geared more toward the undergraduate as opposed to the graduate, the professors will bend over backwards to help you." The administration, "particularly when it comes to financial aid and bills, is somewhat lacking, but I guess compared to other schools is average."
            If I were CtG, I'd give those student's opinion alot more weight than a psudeo education expert snob from Oregon. As for feeling that a degree from a prestitigous university, I don't think there'd be one gudiance counselor at my high school would place very great consideration into prestige of the degree, and my school was one of the top 10 public high schools in Maryland, sending large numbers of students to ivy leauge and ivy caliber schools. I remember hearing from them back then the studies have shown that the same person who went to an elite university would not earn less if the same person had attended a state university. (while it would be true the average Harvard grad would do better then the average Geneseo grad, but that's due to the fact the average person who goes to Harvard tends to come from a wealthier background and is more achievement oriented). For Graduate schools, admission tends to be more numbers based and it won't matter too much where you went to undergrad school. If you want an Apolyton example, Imran went to Rutgers University for undergrad, a not too presitgious New Jersey State School, and is now attending Emory Law school.

"3. If you are looking for pompous, look at the top of the thread, where some ignorant imbecile decided to gratuitously throw in the usual dittohead mush about liberal bias and blah blah blah."

Except Liberal Bias, while not the point of this thread, is a well documented fact at colleges. If you really want to hear about that go ask Boshko who goes to Wesleyan. Leftist professors far outnumber Conservative ones. I have definitely encountered it here at my university(except in my economics class). My Sociology class was basically left wing propoganda, the textbook seemed to basically conclude that all of society was a conspiracy by corporations to keep the worked down.(I still managed an A+ in the class).

"4. Now go finish up your degree. This nation is facing a critical understaffing at Wendys."

I am sorry my family doesn't have the money to blow on a fancy university for undergrand. . I am on a merit-based scholarship at a solid state university, and am in the honors college there too. But I will be able to get out of school debt free and be able to attend grad school fine.

CtG, honestly, I reccomend check you better sources then the off topic of a gaming website. Get some college guide books that are out there, talk to guidance counselors, go check out what they have at www.review.com But don't rely on pompous windbag fools such as Kepler for this important decision.
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Hey I'm applying to University of Chicago. I'm almost done with the app. Ask me some questions.
              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

When you are a student, you may suffer from countless assigements as I do. I ave found a list of good topics at this page https://thesisleader.com/engineering-essay/ also a lot of recommendations on how to make your writing successful. It's a really good place for every student to get help. As engineering essayThis essay will make you change your routine, focus on writing, use all your concentration and energy to do proper research, collect all your knowledge in the field of engineering, and only in that case you can account for high grades for your engineering essay. is not easy to compose, so you cannot just spend half an hour to draft a text and submit it easily being sure that your exerted efforts are enough for excellent results.

Comment

Working...
                X