College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College

Well applications are due January 1st and I still don't know where I want to go.... still have tons of work to do on them... great way to spend christmas vacation I just have two questions for anyone who knows more than me...

Firstly, has anyone had any experience with the following colleges? I haven't visited a single one, but I'm applying to them: Chicago, Dartmouth, Wash U, Tufts, Rochester, Union, SUNY Geneseo, SUNY Buffalo

Lastly, how do I send the applications?
    I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Re: College

Originally posted by Caesar the Great
    Well applications are due January 1st and I still don't know where I want to go.... still have tons of work to do on them... great way to spend christmas vacation I just have two questions for anyone who knows more than me...

Firstly, has anyone had any experience with the following colleges? I haven't visited a single one, but I'm applying to them: Chicago, Dartmouth, Wash U, Tufts, Rochester, Union, SUNY Geneseo, SUNY Buffalo

Lastly, how do I send the applications?
    My HS sent my applications. I think there is some expesive College directory you can pick up at the book store that lists where send this stuff. The one I go to I could just take a 3 minute drive to reapply every semister.

Also, if you are a liberal, any college will do. If you're not, then you're stuck. Be ready to be brainwashed. Even the one I goto which is in the sticks makes Berkley more like a conservative college (oxymoron).
    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Well I'm moderately conservative... but far from religious so I'll definitely have a hard time finding my own kind

What do I mail the applications in?

For chicago I've got at least 7 pages to mail... and thats a bit much to stuff into an envelope
      I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar the Great
        Well I'm moderately conservative... but far from religious so I'll definitely have a hard time finding my own kind

What do I mail the applications in?

For chicago I've got at least 7 pages to mail... and thats a bit much to stuff into an envelope
        Even moderate conservative would have a hard time.

IDK, all I did was show my college my Soph & Junior year report cards and I got in, with a somewhat low SAT score (can't recall what it was, but I can say I total bombed the math).

I guess "big" colleges are different. Have you checked their website and looked around to see how you apply. I'm sure they have to do that.
        I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

my first instinct is to put it in an envelope and mail it

but then it gets all folded and i'm afraid they'd frown upon that (i need all the help i can get to get into some of those places)

anyway, i don't think the post office is open tomorrow so i'll have to wait until after christmas to mail them... assuming they're done by then

Comment

You can always put it in a large envelope.

Furthermore, some of the colleges (such as Dartmouth, IIRC) you can apply online.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

have you talked to your conselor at all? they really are there to help you and can answer almost every question you'll have

Comment

Well if they are due Jan.1 it's a little late to ask the gudiance counselor. Check the websites of the universities you are interested, they should give you an adress to mail your applications into. Some universities allow you to apply online.
                "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

CtG, just remember to be disappointed and bored with Uni beforehand, it'll save you a lot of time when you get there.
                  I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
                  Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

I'm sorry if this is old news, but I followed the link in Thrawn's sig http://www.araboilboycott.com/ . Anyway, if you feel ike a giggle, check it out. If I was a patriotic American citizen, I would stop using my car or any electricity immidiately.

I particularly enjoyed the links that informed me about the history and culture of Islam. No more in the darkness will I flounder.
                    I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
                    Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

Re: Re: College

Originally posted by Thrawn05
                      Also, if you are a liberal, any college will do. If you're not, then you're stuck. Be ready to be brainwashed.
                      ROTFL. For "brainwashed" substitute "learn to question unsubstantiated beliefs," but I agree that would be difficult for conservatives, who have never been very good at objective thought.

But that's OK. That's why there are C's.

As for the colleges listed, it depends a great deal on what you might be interested in:

+ Chicago -- excellent all-around school; top flight esp. in social sci.
                      + Dartmouth -- typically excellent Ivy, extremely artsy.
                      + Washington U. -- strange place; can't decide whether it wants to be another Chicago or another Reed or Bard.
                      + Tufts -- very good school near the best college city in North America.
                      + URI -- excellent in optics (go figure) and other applied sciences, don't know anything about it otherwise.
                      + Geneseo -- a safety? Drinking school, automatic A if you show up.
                      + SUNY Buffalo -- fairly weak, but if you're a NY resident it's a great price. You might consider SUNY-Albany instead; it's a better school all around.

All of the above have the caveat that if you have a specific interest in one particular field, then it all comes down to the department. Generally speaking, a Chicago, Dartmouth, WU (if you work in the midwest) or Tufts (if you work in the east) degree will help you. The others have no profile outside of NY.

Good luck!
                      It is much easier to be critical than to be correct. Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

"ROTFL. For "brainwashed" substitute "learn to question unsubstantiated beliefs," but I agree that would be difficult for conservatives, who have never been very good at objective thought.

But that's OK. That's why there are C's."

See, it's comments like this that can make people look like pompous *******s. Making broad assumptions that people who disagree with you are revealing of an infantile understanding of people.

Anyway, I'd ignore Kepler's advice on education. Look at this:

+ Geneseo -- a safety? Drinking school, automatic A if you show up.
                        It's no Harvard, but that doesn't mean it isn't a decent school. According to www.review.com it has average SAT score of over 1200. I reccomens you check out that website anyway for information on colleges you are interested in, it's better then asking people here. If I could give you any on advice, don't base too much of your decision on the prestige of the school you go to. That doesn't really make too much of a difference. Go for what you feel is suited to you and where you will get the best education.
                        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

I thought Wash U was a pretty decent school, and for a smaller uni it has a decent post grad reputation.

Mail your apps by US Postal express mail: they have full size envelopes so you won't have to fold anything, it only costs a couple of bucks for two day delivery, and you get a confirmation number that allows you to track delivery. Just like FedEx but at 20% of the cost for just a day slower.
                          Be the bid!

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                            It's no Harvard, but that doesn't mean it isn't a decent school. According to www.review.com it has average SAT score of over 1200. I reccomens you check out that website anyway for information on colleges you are interested in, it's better then asking people here. If I could give you any on advice, don't base too much of your decision on the prestige of the school you go to. That doesn't really make too much of a difference. Go for what you feel is suited to you and where you will get the best education.
                            There are many state schools (Texas A&M, Virginia Military Institute) with average SAT scores in the mid 1200s. That isn't really anything to brag about.
                            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                              It's no Harvard, but that doesn't mean it isn't a decent school. According to www.review.com it has average SAT score of over 1200.
                              Any self-respecting school will demand at least that.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X