The Sycophantism Of Comedy Audiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sycophantism Of Comedy Audiences

Was listening to the radio this morning, and it was only from the laughter that I could work it was meant to be comedy. That was nothing funny about what was being said...at all.

Ditto an advert I've seen for some kind of Billy Connolly video or something. He is going on about Big Brother, and how people are "sitting in their houses watching people sitting in their houses". Cue an hysterical audience. Er..and this comment is funny in what way at all?

Apolyton has a few sycophants as well when some of the sacred cows get their comedial wit into action.

Why?
    www.my-piano.blogspot

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Who could those sacred cows be?

You obviously couldn't be one of them since everything you say is funny.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

The word you are looking for Stew is 'sycophancy'

Yeah, Friends is the best example. If it wasn't for the canned laughter I'd have no way of figuring out it's a 'comedy'
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

troll

And to think, so close to Christmas.
          I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

one post above him, actually.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05
              troll

Yeah, he only posted 2 before me
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Scary X-post type scenario
                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Friends..well, any American show is bad for it. But canned laughter is slightly different from people laughing at stand-up comedy shows, for example, when the "comedian" is only living on some somehow-formed reputation.
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

All the Billy Connely stuff I have seen is very funny, I can't vouch for his more recent stuff...I'd have had to have heard it...
                    Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05
                      troll

Are you calling me a troll?

Never been called on before.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Well, I for one can proudly say I have never watched a single episode of "Friends." *Cue wild applause...*

Although Rosanne had an audience who like mindless sheep laughed, hooted and hollered when told to do so, it's humor was actually funny. Even the actors had unscripted chuckles once in a while. Gotta' admire that...
                        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's
                          Friends..well, any American show is bad for it. But canned laughter is slightly different from people laughing at stand-up comedy shows, for example, when the "comedian" is only living on some somehow-formed reputation.

So Hilarious! Boddington Rules!
                          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

The best comedies don't have a laugh track.

"Andy Richter Controls the Universe" being the foremost one right now...
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I want to use this space to show my appreciation for the word sycophant. It just sounds cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X