No announcement yet.

Best performance by these actors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

De Niro I like for 'Godfather II'. My problem with de Niro for many of his recent films is that he seems to be playing de Niro playing de Niro.
    nice observation
    Tim Roth - Rosencrantz and Guildernstern Are Dead
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Everbody knows Clint's best performance was with the ape in Every wich way but loose.
      De Niro's finest hour- Rocky and bullwinkle of course
      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo

James Stewart - North by Northwest
        That was Cary Grant.

It WAS a great performance, but it just wasn't Jimmy.
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

oops....
          I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Re: Best performance by these actors?

Peter Sellers - Lolita. Clare Quilty brings out the menace that was always just below Sellers best comic performances, better than any other I can think of.

Marlon Brando - Streetcar Named Desire. The essential Brando persona, but with more depth and complexity than any other Brando film.

Robert De Niro - New York, New York. Hardly anyone has seen this (it bombed whan it opened, and "A Martin Scorsese Musical" doesn't exactly inspire confidence), but I think its the film in which he displayes his fullest range: violent, comic, even romantic. It's a brilliant performance, and an unjustly neglected film.

Clint Eastwood - Tightrope. Eastwood reaches deep down and desconstructs everything compelling about his own persona. He's completely brilliant in it.

Steve Buscemi - Resevoir Dogs. Just for the scen in which he objects to being "Mr. Pink." But I should say that I haven't seen Ghost World, which I've heard touted as his best work.

Morgan Freeman - Unforgiven. Can't say why, because he's great in everything; maybe just his rapport with Eastwood.

Sean Penn - Carlito's Way. He completely disappears into the character of the mob lawyer, and gives a performance that grabs the spotlight away from Pacino (who himself is very good in it) without ever being showy.

Robert Carlyle - Cracker, "To Be a Somebody." Manages to draw your symapthy and repulsion in equal measure, the whole way through, in a way I've never seen an actor do before or since.

Tim Roth - Resevoir Dogs, I guess; he just doesn't do that much for me.

Samuel L. Jackson - Jackie Brown. Charismatic and an a$$hole; smart but not as smart as he thinks he is. It's a great role, and he's perfect in it.

Gary Oldman - Sid and Nancy. Gets to show more range than I can think of in any of his other films.

James Stewart - It's a Wonderful Life. There are two James Stewarts: The easy-going All-American hero of films like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and the tormented neurotic of films like Vertigo. This is the one film in which he's both, an dto great effect.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
            X