Star Wars is not Sci Fi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars is not Sci Fi!

Most people would agree with the statment that Star Wars is the biggest Sci Fi blockbuster series EVER! I wouldn't. Star Wars is hardly Sci-fi/

Wait, you say: Star wars is filled with spaceships, robots, aliens, and so ofrth. How coulkd it not be sci-fi? Well, beause sci-fi doesn't need robots, spaceships or aliens, and their existance does not make something science fiction. Notice the name of the genre, the prominance, the centrality, of science. Star wars, as we are told, was set long, long ago, in a galaxy far far away. The characters are not even human (we never find out what they are, the humanoid looking ones), and the movies are certanly doen't give a damn about science.

So what makes science fiction? Personally, the most important aspect of sci-fi is the theme of how science and its applications influence other basic human themes. Take Frankenstein: a great piece of science fiction: in it, we see an exploration of how science could give man the power of creation, and it explores how man could handle this power, and its reprecussions. 1984 is in some ways science fiction, as the oppresive regime is only possible due to the exstance of mass media and the total control of information that modernity (and its handmaiden, science) make possible.
    The themes of sace travel and robots are very important for modern sci-fi because they open all sorts of possiblities. What would be man's relation, both practical and moral, to sentent creations of his own? HOw does incorporating mechanical bits change what man is? How would man change after leaving home (earth)?, so forht and so on. Star Wars then, is a fantas tale in space, with all the characteristics of sagas and myths, not those of science fiction!
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

I agree.

It's time to close this thread.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

yes
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Seriously though, I didn't know that "Star Wars" is considered to be Sci-fi. I always thought of it as of a fairy-tale, similar to the fantasy books of these days.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Most people I know see Star Wars as Science Fantasy more than Science Fiction.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel

It's time to close this thread.
            Tha's so unkind, you scrooge! and so near to Christmas!

Comment

Isn't Star Wars just cowboys and Injuns in space?
              Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
              And notifying the next of kin
              Once again...

Comment

HEY! Case Closed means CASE CLOSED!

Hueij: that was supposed to bed star-trek.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  Most people I know see Star Wars as Science Fantasy more than Science Fiction.
                  Ditto - but then, Sci-Fi and Sci-Fantasy are usually grouped together by the general public.

That said, I completely disagree with Gepap's reasoning - Sci-Fi does not have to concentrate on human beings and, while Sci-Fi usually tries to be technologically plausable, there are many themes that as far as we know, are not (ie, time-travel, warp drive, other technolobable gobilty-gook put in to make stories more interesting/dramatic/whatever). Sci-Fi that does concentrate on making stories using plausable futuristic science is known as Hard Sci-Fi.
                  "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
                    Isn't Star Wars just cowboys and Injuns in space?
                    Nonsense. Cowboys and Injuns are merely Star Wars in the old west, but without the cool lasers.
                    "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Hueij: that was supposed to bed star-trek.

Huh?

Nonsense. Cowboys and Injuns are merely Star Wars in the old west, but without the cool lasers.

So Star Wars is merely C&I without the cool John Wayne?
                      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                      And notifying the next of kin
                      Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Edan

Ditto - but then, Sci-Fi and Sci-Fantasy are usually grouped together by the general public.

That said, I completely disagree with Gepap's reasoning - Sci-Fi does not have to concentrate on human beings and, while Sci-Fi usually tries to be technologically plausable, there are many themes that as far as we know, are not (ie, time-travel, warp drive, other technolobable gobilty-gook put in to make stories more interesting/dramatic/whatever). Sci-Fi that does concentrate on making stories using plausable futuristic science is known as Hard Sci-Fi.
                        I never said that somehitng has to be scientifically plausible: many great sci-fi stories deal with time travel, which most physicist say is impossible. BUt making good time travel stories is hard,since you have to keep in mind paradoxes and logical issues, which most writers can't. As for sticking to humans: no writer can write anyting not related to human beings: we are human and so is our conciousness. At best, we can try to come up with some reasoning as to how a non-human being would think, but even then, we are limited by our own sentience and our own experiences. Perhaps my statement about Luke skywaker being some Star trek like 'humanoid' that for some reason walks, talks, and acts like a human being was taken out of context.

As for Star wars being 'Science-Fantasy', what' 'Science about it?' lasers? It taes artifice to make swords too, just as it takes artifice to make lasers, but I would never call LoTR science -fantasy.

Comment

Demand the return of the Yub-Nub song!

Boycott the SW DVDs!
                          I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

The term "Sci-Fi" has lost it's meaning in the past year, manly due to the fac that the Sci-Fi channel aired Braveheart.

This I can tell you first hand, has caused a ripple effect in the Sci-Fi community. Some are asking for the Sci-Fi's programmers heads, others are willing to accept such nonsense.

It's a Mad Mad Mad World.
                            I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Hueij, a spelling error by me.

I meant to say that the first star trek was cowboys and indians in space, With the ship docking in all kinds of saloons of sort, etc.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X