No announcement yet.

What if the American Revolution failed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the American revolt failed, there may not have been Napoleonic wars.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
      The UK would eventually move its capitol to New York (or Philidelphia, etc.).
      I thought the centre of government was already moved to Pennsylvania Avenue.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

If there was no American Revolution, there may have been no large-scale immigration by the Irish, Italians or other Europeans, let alone the Chinese. Immigration may have been limited primarily to the English.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

OMG, I am just playing a game of colonization, and guess what? I am not doing so good. Figures.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

well it didnt so you can thank the french again

Comment

yes it did and the french will join my side if I accumulate something like 5000 Liberty bells. This is ****ing impossible.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

I think there's a good chance that if the Revolution didn't occur when it did the eventual countries that came to occupy North America would be very different.

Just think for example of what happens if the Brits make significant concessions to the colonists in '73 and '74. The generation of great American statesmen is thus coopted into the Brit camp (the colonial governors Jefferson and Hamilton eventually hang Adams for treason). A politically conservative America watches the French Revolution in horror and draws even closer to Britain.

Perhaps the you get a Civil War of the American South against the Northeast and Britain, and as the South is crushed the North imposes Reconstruction on the South as a condition for being readmitted to the Commonwealth -- something without which the South would merely become a vast, underdeveloped, rural wasteland.
                It is much easier to be critical than to be correct. Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

Only have one port city. You will win every time

Defend it with everything you have and be focused on one port city. That way you won;t stretch your army AT ALL

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                    If there was no American Revolution, there may have been no large-scale immigration by the Irish, Italians or other Europeans, let alone the Chinese. Immigration may have been limited primarily to the English.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Are you assuming that there would never be an independent country (or countries) from the British colonies? I mean, Canada gained its independence in 1867 and we've had waves of immigration nearly on par (on a per capita basis) as those of the US.
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Well, if a USA would have been formed eventually, either by later revolution or by peaceful seccession, it would be much, much different, most likely not a world power. America would probably resemble Canada very closely, in population and society, as, while under British control for an extended period, mass open-door imigration would not have happened. Depending on when the US finally comes into being, it would probably only stretch from the Atlantic to the Mississippi; the lousianna purchase not coming into its possession, nor the significant land gains made in the Mexican-American war.

History, no matter how the US turns out at a later date, would definately be much, much different. The effect the US has had on the world has been immense, and by changing America you are changing that effect.

Kman
                      "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                      - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                      Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

I'm surprised that Stefu hasn't been here to recommend this book, which is a 1990-ish college history textbook set in a world in which the British won the Battle of Saratoga.

Comment

Can I play?

1. Slavery in North America would have been abolished earlier

2. Texas would be an independent nation

3. Without a US to sell it to, Napoleon would have kept Louisiana; without the financing that the Louisiana Purchase provided him, his warmongering in Europe would have been curtailed (but I'm not sure what that means; it's been years since I've known that history well)

4. In all likelihood, no on would ever have heard of Washington Irving, Edgar Allen Poe, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Herman Melville, Ralph Waldo Emerson, or Henry David Thoreau

BTW, thanks for the book rec JohnT; it looks interesting.
                          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

If the American Revolution had failed, we'd all be speaking English right now, dammit!

Gatekeeper
                            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                              Can I play?

2. Texas would be an independent nation

And Mr. Bush president of Texas and not The US.
                              First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

I'm surprised that Stefu hasn't been here to recommend this book, which is a 1990-ish college history textbook set in a world in which the British won the Battle of Saratoga.
                                I meant to, but then I sort of forgot about it.
                                "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                                "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Working...
                                X