Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beyond Nihilism:Kazantzakis and Plotinus on the Metaphysical 'One'That Does Not Exist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond Nihilism:Kazantzakis and Plotinus on the Metaphysical 'One'That Does Not Exist

When Kazantzakis claimed at the end of Askitiki that "even this 'One' does not exist," his emphasis was not on a nihilistic concluding void but on the metaphysical 'One' or 'abyss' that lies beyond ('meta') the material realm. As this 'One' lacks any ontological reference point, it cannot be said to 'exist'. Furthermore, Kazantzakis drew on his rich Greek heritage--the neoplatonist Plotinus--in prioritizing this metaphysical 'One'. Examining the thought of Plotinus makes it possible to draw on and develop recent claims that Kazantzakis's thought may best be interpreted from the perspective of apophaticism or 'negative theology'. Indeed, the apophatic approach of Plotinus enables us to see how Kazantzakis could have asserted that "even this 'One' does not exist" without being a nihilist. Nevertheless, like Shestov's interpretation of Plotinus, Kazantzakis warns that ascent to the 'One' is both sublime and terrifying.
    Would you agree?

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

No.
      "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Clear Skies
        No.
        Then you are an incurable pessimist

Comment

(It's quite fascinating really)

Comment

can someone translate that in to english please?
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

A bunch of twits wanting to appear deep
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

How can you " ascent to the 'One' " now that is the quastion.
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

What exactly is the 'one' they are talking about?

Comment

I'm not an incurable pessimist! I just disagree with ontological arguments when post-modern pragmatism is far superior.
                    That said I love Rousseau.
                    "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

I don't want to appear deep. It's not cool.

Onefoot it's in Askitiki read it.

It has something to do with eating a lot of grapes I gather.

(out of stock)

Comment

What on earth is "negative theology" and what does Plato have anything to do with New Age mumblejumble?

(\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

It's has nothing to do with New Age and Plato does not seem to be involved (at least directly).

I'll be ****ed if I know what negative theology is. Probably the search for the divine while negating the existance of God. But your guess is as good as mine.

Comment

POMO thread!!!
                            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                            Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

EXPAND your horizons.

Comment

Working...
                              X