• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really hate programming now

Well, after 20 years of programming computers I've
    really beginning to hate it, stress, artifical deadlines
    no paper manuals (CDs), just another clerk these
    days.

No doubt where I working is a major factor.

Just a thought for all you computer science wantabes.

Hmmm.... So is this what I'll say 16 years from now? Not very encouraging, especially since I've just finished the project I was working on and I am not in a very good mood.
    The monkeys are listening.

Comment

Programming can be a real drag depending on what you are doing.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yep, been doing it for 25 years. Screw on-line/cd manuals. I try to have paper manuals for most of the software I use. On-line services are only good when you're running into error messsages that you aren't familiar with.

Yes, where you're working is the biggest determination.
        Some places are so strict on coding methodology that it squeezes all the fun out of it. One place actually had a rule that you couldn't us goto statements. Granted, I usually don't use gotos but in rare circumstances it just makes things a lot easier.

Change Management control is another way to stiffle your fun. In one place I worked, a long time ago, I needed to make a DSN change in some JCL for a production job. It took 10 seconds, but then required 3 days and 15 processes to get it through Change Management and get it into production. The 3 day delay cost the company over 100,000 dollars (I didn't last very long at that job. It was either quit or kill myself)

But the most important thing is the people you work with. Most companies suck by definition. It's the people that you interact with every day that make it a good experience or a living hell. If you find a good group of people, it makes up for a lot of crap.

RAH
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well like any other job than
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by rah
            But the most important thing is the people you work with. Most companies suck by definition. It's the people that you interact with every day that make it a good experience or a living hell. If you find a good group of people, it makes up for a lot of crap.
            RAH
            Yeah, your right, I should rephase that,

I really hate programming HERE.

Been a long time since i worked at a company
            with good compenent people.

Time for a change

Comment

Originally posted by rah

Change Management control is another way to stiffle your fun. In one place I worked, a long time ago, I needed to make a DSN change in some JCL for a production job. It took 10 seconds, but then required 3 days and 15 processes to get it through Change Management and get it into production.
              I have that plus the added bonus of then having to tell the poor grunt who finally gets to make the change how to do it.

Comment

I once gave an assigment to a programmer that was of equal simplicity. He told me it would take 4 hours. I was so pissed that I kicked him out of his chair, sat down, made the change in about 2 minutes, and then asked him what the F*** he planned to do with the other 3 hours and 58 minutes. His time estimates after that were considerably shorter.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Test it?
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Post on Apolyton?
                    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

A lot of people have programming jobs not because they are interested in programming or any good at it, but because it is "hot." You do need a particular kind of brain structure to be a competent programmer.
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Back in the old days, knowing the syntax of your programming language was enough to be a good programmer.

Now, you have to know the API's of workflow, document management and other huge systems to incorporate into your code.
                        You must know how to use WSDL's, UDDI's, ASP, JSP, XML, UML, ...
                        The list just goes on and on.

It is getting too much.

Comment

That's why I like assemblers.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                            A lot of people have programming jobs not because they are interested in programming or any good at it, but because it is "hot." You do need a particular kind of brain structure to be a competent programmer.
                            I started as an assembler programmer before computers
                            were cool, writing programs on punch cards.The "culture" and "respect" have really taken a nose dive.

Mainly because most of the managers now are more akin to factory floor foremen in attitude. (Projerk Managers) Oh, being a manager sucks too. (Senior Management sees to that)

RAH, I had a manager do that to me once, After his
                            masterful change and cinical remarks, he ran it.

We had to do a full restore of yesterday's data.

When he asked me to work overtime to fix the
                            remaining data errors, The answer was "No".

Comment

He didn't get fired for that?

Comment

Working...
                              X