• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Korea will hold presidential election tomorrow

I heard it is hotly contested.

Who will win?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

LOL it's actually pretty funny, some of the candidates are funny, Kim gil sung!! (the Buddhist monk candidate)

A female FLT who works here actually got to meet, in person, whoever candidate #1 on the poster is.

Tomorrow is Election Day, a national holiday.

They are driving these vans with loud music and dancing girls at all hours now.

VOTE KIM GIL SUNG and end meat eating!
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Who is leading? And is the current President running again?
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Is Hussein helping to count?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
          Who is leading? And is the current President running again?
          The two leading candidates are in dead heat. No the current President isn't running again.
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

UR: do you agree with the idea that NK is attempting to influence the election via its threats (restarting its nuke program, etc), and if so, which side do you think will benifit in the elections?

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Do you live in Korea comrade UR?
              http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

IIRC, he's Chinese. From HK, I think.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Ah, how interesting. I never knew that. We are certainly a diverse lot here at Apolyton.
                  http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Arrian,

It is entirely possible, but certainly not necessarily for the better. The candidate from the ruling party vows to continue the current "Sunshine" policy towards DPRK, while the opposition pushes for a hardline diplomacy.

Along the same lines, the US troops in South Korea is another point of contention. The ruling party will take a hardnosed stance while the other side is pro-US.

David,

I'll just have to kill you now. Nothing personal.

Comment

Do we have any reason do doubt that Roh will win?
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I heard they are in dead heat, that's all.

Comment

Well, counting is still continuing, and it is extremely close, but it looks like Roh is the winner.

I don't know how he can expect to be successful while hitching his star to an erratic character (at best).
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It would seem that anger vs. the US beat out worries about NK.

I say to hell with it, pull out the troops. They are pretty clearly no longer welcome.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Dan,

I don't think Kim Jung-il is erratic - he is very calculating. I see that the re-opening of the nuclear reactor as nothing more than bargaining chips. I am not sure how he views reunification, but he is warm to the idea of getting DPRK rich, evident in his willingness to setup "special economic regions."

Comment

Working...
                              X