.edu: say it or spell it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .edu: say it or spell it?

I say most Internet suffixes -- "dot com," "dot org," etc. -- but always spell out .edu -- i.e., "dot e-d-u" instead of ".edu". Yesterday, however, I heard a colleague say "edu" instead of "e-d-u". I need to establish who's right and, based on my long standing admiration of mob rule, have decided to do so with this poll.

Choose!
    It's"dot e-d-u"
    48.57%
    It's "dot edu"
    45.71%
    It's spelt "e-d-u" but pronounced "banana"
    5.71%
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

e-d-u

And Canada's is dot-c-a, not dot-cah. (.ca)
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

no, .ca is "dot-kay" silly
      I always say . ee dee you regardless
      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
      Drake Tungsten
      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
      Albert Speer

Comment

If .ca was "dot-kay" then most people hearing it might assume it meant "dot-k" (duh ). Or .ka. Or whatever
        Everyone here says "dot-c-a", and that's what matters.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

it should be "Dot Eh?"
          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

hey, I'm the only one who calls it "dot edu" so far!
            http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dot e-d-u dot a-u

I don't think I have ever heard anyone saying dot edu.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

dot e-d-u.

Same thing with .us, .uk (don't think you pronounce it as "ook" ), etc.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

dot-see-eh?

it's ee dee you
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

edu as in ubu

Comment

it's dot e-d-u

Of course if you are in Canada it would be dot e-d-eh unless you are in Alberta where it would dot edu, unless in calvery where it's "period e-d-u", but only on a tuesday. The rest of the week they say "spot 'eww' - 'dew' - 'you' ",
                      I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

dot edu. You don't say dot Cay-Oh-Em, or Oh-Ar-Gee
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

That's because they are one syllable, not two.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

i'm conf-e-d-used
                            "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                            You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

yeah 2 syllables is just too hard. Saying the letters is 3 syllables.

Comment

Working...
                              X