Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Sports Discussion (ie, Apolyton US Sports Bar)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    FSU just sacked Chris Rix for the Sugar Bowl for curfew violations

Actually it was for missing a final. I wonder how you do that?
    Apparently his grad student was sick that day.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Sorry my sarcasm doesn't translate well.

Ah, the problems of the web . No harm, no foul.

Apparently his grad student was sick that day.

Isn't Rix a senior too? What the Hell was he thinking? I mean, he knows that he's the starter now!
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Players:

Curt Flood
        Bobby Bonds
        Gil Hodges

Composite:

Marvin Miller
        Whitey Herzog
        Walter O'Malley

Comment

• Miller has to go in, doesn't he? Whether good or bad he made the MLBPA as strong as it is.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Rix missed his exam because he overslept!

LOLOL

Comment

• I haven't been keeping up so this may have been mentioned.

I think Philadelphia has a QB controversy. If I were coach I wouldn't put Donavan McNabb back in. They are doing better without him.

Comment

• Naw, I think McNabb will start when he comes back.

--

Oh, so the trial for Bonds' 73rd HR is over and the judge said sell the ball and split the proceeds among both of them. Wow... a good trial result!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dissident
                  I haven't been keeping up so this may have been mentioned.

I think Philadelphia has a QB controversy. If I were coach I wouldn't put Donavan McNabb back in. They are doing better without him.
                  This isn't the same as the Warner-Bulger deal in St. Louis. It's not the backup QB that is making the difference in Philly, it's playing like a team, which will only help when McNabb returns.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Bump! The Border War tommorow. #12 Illinois vs. #10 Missouri in the "neutral" Kiehl center in St. Louis. One of my roommates stood in line for 6 hours to get a ticket for that game...

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Rix missed his exam because he overslept!

LOLOL
                      This just in from FSU.

It was two exams he "slept" through.

Allegations abound on a gambling ring being busted. Too preliminary at this point to know if players were involved but police are pressuring suspects to name names including players.......hmmmm......

Was McPherson's blank check done simply to cover his gambling debts?????

Inquiring minds want to know?

(I call for Bobby Bowden to resign immediately. This way JoePa can step down as well and retain his winningest Coach status. )

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Braves save $10 million by trading Millwood for some catcher. What I don't understand is, if you're going to dump him, why not dump him in the AL and not in your own division? Kelly Ligtenberg wasn't offered a contract either.

sigh

But... we did get 17 game winner Paul Byrd and Russ Ortiz, so it's not as if we've been fire-selling only. Regardless, the NL East is going to be an interesting division to watch this upcoming season - it might be the best race of the year.

But probably not, as the Mets collapse again and the Phillies hang on through August, only to slowly let it slip away.

Comment

• Hey guys:

And I dunno if Byrd and Ortiz are going to win as many games again .

Comment

• I'll just cut 'n paste my comments to that thread and delete them from this one. Sorry 'bout that.

But don't open a new thread until the other is closed!!!!

Comment

• I want to use this space to talk about running/scrambling QB's. I'd like to hear you guy's thoughts.

Thinking back to the last few superbowls, you don't see a lot of them make it to the superbowl or win a superbowl. New England- Tom Brady, Baltimore- Trent Dilfer, St. Louis- Kurt Warner, Denver- John Elway, Green Bay- Brett Favre, San Fransisco- Steve Young, Dallas- Troy Aikman. All great passers (except maybe Trent Dilfer- I can't explain how they won the superbowl ). No doubt running/scrambling QB's lead good teams. And win a lot of games. But they are missing something. Fact is you still have to be a decent passer and have a good passing game to win a superbowl. Steve Young may have been a scrambler but he was a very, very accurate passer.

Look at Randal Cunningham. He was close being 1 field goal away from a superbowl. Gary Anderson missed after being so accurate that year (he got the game winner today though ). But I still think Denver would have stomped his team. Dante Culpepper isn't much better. Michael Vick will never go anywhere until they get some good recievers and have a strong passing game.

These thoughts came about because of Philadelphia's performance of late. They are doing better without Donavan McNabb. Now you can say the team has picked up their game to compensate for their fallen QB. But for 5 games? I have never heard of a team elevating their game for that long. Fact is I think they have a better shot of winning a superbowl with A.J. Feeley.

Of all of them Aaron Brooks is my favourite. If it weren't for the crappy New Orleans defense they might actually have a shot at a superbowl. The reason why I like Aaron Brooks is of all the runner/scrambling QB's in the game today I think he is the best passer. Passing should always be the reason to pickup a QB not running.
                              Last edited by Dis; December 22, 2002, 03:01.

Comment

• Hmmm....

On the other side of the coin the most prolific pocket quarterback Dan Marino never had the balanced offense that allowed a run game to wear out an opposing defense. As a consequence you could see the games unfold in typical fashion. Miami defense would be on the field too long and would be tired, Opposing teams scores late causing the need for a Miami miracle led by Dan the Man.

(Ok I've really digressed)

Running quarterbacks absolutely are the thing. That means tho' that the running quarterback must first and foremost be accurate and be able to go through his read progression properly first. Pass first then run. The threat of run will normally cause D-coordinators to have a linebacker to spy him (if he is any good) thus normally allowing a dump off to a RB out of the back field.

All in all much more difficult to defense and will continue to be increasingly more and more effective.

The only thing that concerns me is the running QB has the same tendency to be injured that a pocket QB has (i.e. a blind side blitz) but then also has the chance of injury when running downfield. I worry that the trend of running QB might increase the amount of QB injuries (ala Young, McNabb, Cunnigham was never healthy, McNair was dinged up, Vick this year). it just seems to me that the running QB is much more susceptible to injury and if you have all your eggs in a Mike Vick-like basket you may be asking for trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X