Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Sports Discussion (ie, Apolyton US Sports Bar)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you figure is the 2nd biggest football state?

Georgia? Florida? California? Pennsylvania? New York ?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• best football state? college or pro?

I have to say Florida I guess. They have top notch college football teams and 3 decent pro teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
        What do you figure is the 2nd biggest football state?

Georgia? Florida? California? Pennsylvania? New York ?
        I'm assuming your infering Texas as #1.

Hmmm goood question. If we talk from high school up through Pros and in general just the passion about football.

Western PA, the old steel town, and mining town areas are fanatical football areas. Good solid college programs with up and down years in PSU and Pitt. Steelers and Eagles are good solid teams.

Florida has great atheletes and tremendous college and Pros teams. I really don't know enough of their local programs to know if their is a huge high school following.

New York has a faithful following at the pro level some good but not great college programs in Syracuse.

Georgia has a good college following in Tech and Georgia but quite truthfully their pro following is lacking. (no rabid Eagle like fans down here)

Califronia has some good to great college teams but come on they can't even hold enough interest in LA the largest market to have a Pro franchise. No way Cali.

So of the ones you mentioned above I would prolly rate it something like

1. TX - The only state that has mom's kill so their daughter can make the cheerleading squad.
        2. FLA - Given the edge over PA for 3 Pro teams vs 2 pro teams.
        3. PA
        4. NY
        5. GA
        6. CA
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• some of the midwestern states are big at the high school/college level. Like Nebraska and Iowa.

That's all they have to do out there.

Comment

• Yeah, as is my habit I put out half a thought.

Football is king in Texas. From youth leagues through high school and into college.
            I, and most, like baseball; and we've lerned to like hockey and basketball.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• In the Alamo Bowl...
              #4 Georgia 35
              #13 Marshall 30

Marshall's upset bid ends with a minute left at the UGA 35, after losing a yard on third-and-inches, and then QB #7 being sacked on 4th-and-2. When asked about the wide-open field to his left, easily enough room to pick up 7-10 yards before going out of bounds, QB #7 replied, "It was weird, like suddenly my leg was injured really bad. I would've needed the offensive line to carry me downfield."

Meanwhile, with one quarter remaining in the Sun Bowl, an upset is brewing, as Colorado State leads USC, 17-7...

...and it's over. USC failed to recover an onsides kick with 0:20 remaining, and #12 Colorado State held on to a 24-21 victory over #5 USC.

Five games so far, and conference champs have won four of them, with the fifth game not involving a conference champ. I hearby declare my system a perfect success, neener neener neener, kiss my butt.

Okay, maybe that's a little premature.
              Last edited by Guynemer; December 11, 2002, 23:46.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer

Too late; look up a few posts, and you'll see a final of Buckeyes 63, Horned Frogs 21.

That game is an instant finalist for the annual Lame-ass Mascots Award.

Doh!

i can't believe you had Iowa losing

Comment

• Football is king in Texas.
                  Pretty ridiculous, given that high schools and universities apparently make football their number one priority. Jesus Christ, it's a stupid sport! Don't ****ing close off parking lots, in which I PAID for the ability to park, just so drunk alumni idiots can go watch a stupid game.
                  Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                  Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Gee David... you find everything you can complain about.

This is a sports thread... what did you expect
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• It's their lot, David, they have the right to do with it whatever they want. Apparently, one of the things they want to do with it is sell high-priced parking to alumni for 36 hours (6 home games, at 6 hours parking a piece) a year. That leaves you 8,724 hours to park in your precious lot, ok?

Comment

• David is one of those split-personality manic depressive bi-polar NUTS.

Isn't that right, David ?

Comment

• Btw, breaking news:

If John Dowd had more time to investigate Pete Rose 13 years ago, he likely would have unearthed an even more damaging account of the all-time hits leader's gambling habits.

Report: Dowd says Rose 'probably' bet against team

--

Does this change anything for y'all?
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Gosh, Imran. You're just eaten up with Rose aren't you?

IF he bet AGAINST his team, I would be for sanctions against him.

Comment

• Well, I don't want to talk about DeBron James .
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Pudge is gone from the Rangers.
                                Let me look and see if there's a crying and throwing wall-eyed fit "smiley". Nope.

Comment

Working...
                                X