No announcement yet.

Holy ****: 33 pounds of weapons-grade Uranium discovered by Turkish police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they burned up whole kurdish villages. how is this "shielding"?

anyway you're discredited by your apathy for the slaughetered by turkey little children and women.

have to go now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
      Yeah, and I'm sure your country Fez, has impeccable human rights throughout history.
      HOLD IT RIGHT THERE.

Did I say anything about my country? My country's human rights record sucks. You want to know about the inquistion? My stomach literally turns about the crimes the old theocratic state committed.

But we have a new government in power.

Paiktis, your favorite Kurdish militants use human shields. Shows how much guts they have.
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Is there some way that we could take Fez's and Paiktis' avatars and animate the arguement that they're having now? It would be highly entertaining.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

33lb of weapons grade uranium? Very unlikely. Do you have any idea how much that would weigh?!

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

33 lbs?
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

That was meant to be a joke Frogger, alas, it went straight over your head
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

What sort of joke was it meant to be?
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

A bad one?
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger

If I knew the activity of U235 I'd be able to do some order-of-magnitude calcs for this...
                      There is also the problem that 30 pounds of that stuff may be a critical mass. The exact amount apeers to be classified but its around there, maybe as much as 50 poounds.

The stuff isn't just a beta emiter. Its an alpha emitter PLUS it fissions spontaneously. Now it could be that the total package weighed 30 pounds including the lead. Fraud is possible as well.

Comment

Its minimum critical mass assumes you've put it into a sphere (best geometry). If you've spread it out a bit (even in such a limited space as that under the front seats of a car) then it will not go critical.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I wonder who was driving the car.... 'Yeah , sure, sitting on top of that much weapons grade U235 isn't dangerous at all. Your kids will be all right- whats three eys and such...."

Well, if the physicists here think its a load of crap, that just confrims my suspicions. Too auspicious a finding for some folks.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

And if you were worried about that, packing it into a few beryllium cases would be enough (IIRC, beryllium has a very high neutron-absorption cross-section)
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Drudge has this image up:

Anyone know what it is? I'm assuming it's the container.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Does that container say "Made in Germany"?

Damn that Schroeder!
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X