Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C-sharp
    like the music note
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Pointer arithematic is technically permitted in the language, but that's because there's two modes of operation for C#: Mid and high level. The mid level is much like C++, which allows you to use pointers and the like, the high level is very similar to Java.
      Any extension to C is still C, and C isn't a high level language.

Originally posted by Asher
      Garbage collection and the fact that it runs interpreted are indeed traits of high level languages, defining traits at that. Maybe the definitions have changed since you've gone to school.
      Maybe only in your book, Glonkie. Suppose I write a C interpreter, does that make C a high level language?
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
        Any extension to C is still C, and C isn't a high level language.
        C# isn't an extension to C in the same way the Java is not an extension of C. They're both extremely similar in syntax but are differnet beasts.

Maybe only in your book, Glonkie. Suppose I write a C interpreter, does that make C a high level language?
        No, but if you wrote a C interpreter that had garbage collection, didn't let you access machine specific stuff like pointers, it would be. Hey, do you know what that's called? QuakeC. And yes, it is a high level language.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Prolog 0%

My least favourite language.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

C/C++ is it, of course. C# is from Microsoft and therefor has to be trash, per definition . Java is a nice language to write portable "Hello World" samples and Minesweeper clones, but if one tries to write larger applications, they quickly get big and clumsy. Almost all operating systems and graphical desktops (such as Windoze) are written in C or C++ with a small part in Assembler. So are most of the games and newer business applications. Pascal has been good language for students, but in the last years lost this role to Java.

The other languages are of less importance or merely script languages. An exception are probably Cobol (not on the list) and Fortran, because of the large number of old business, banking and scientific applications, which still exist and are to maintain (yea, those that created the Y2K problems).

And my secret favorite (ANS Forth) isn't even on the ballot .

Comment

C/C++ is it, of course. C# is from Microsoft and therefor has to be trash, per definition

i thought C++ was also a Microsoft thing.

Java is a nice language to write portable "Hello World" samples and Minesweeper clones, but if one tries to write larger applications, they quickly get big and clumsy.

Except for some GUI parts maybe, i don't see why they would get bigger and clumsier then a C++ program.
              <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
              Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

C# is correctly pronounced "D Flat".
                Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy
                  Shhhhh! Bjarne Stroustrup could hear you.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy
                    It's the Visual *** that is TinyLimp stuff.
                    The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Rah,

I suppose you don't like SPSS then.

Yes, I hate it. And the Ironic thing is that even though I hate it and rarely use it, I'm the primary SPSS support person in the Company. I handle all the contracts and we spend 10x the money on SPSS over SAS

RAH
                      Sometimes when I'm feeling evil and people call will SPSS questions/problems, I just say use SAS. Somehow though, they don't appreciate my humor.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

But why use both? You should use your position of head geek to do something about the situation
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: Anyhoo, I might as well repost this...

Originally posted by loinburger

Unix:
                          Code:
                               % ls
                               foot.c foot.h foot.o toe.c toe.o
                               % rm * .o
                               rm: .o: No such file or directory
                               % ls
                               %
                          Oh dear, I've done stuff like that many times, and I've still got rm aliased to rm -f...
                          yada

Comment

But why use both? You should use your position of head geek to do something about the situation
                            Head geek can't control clients. If they want SPSS datasets or tables, they get SPSS datasets or tables.
                            But all the hardcore programmers are directed to use SAS. (which they follow happily) None-programmers(brain dead people) prefer SPSS.

Unfortunately our call centers use other SPSS software applications that feed data to SPSS better.

But as far as I'm concerned. SPSS is just SAS lite.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                            X