No announcement yet.

Time Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd go to the future, give myself some kickass powers (like lasers that shoot out of my eyes and kevlar woven into my skin), and build a huge Mecha that looks like Cthulhu. Then I'd go back to the past (around 4,000 to 2,000 BC) and go on a rampage, sink my Cthulhu mecha somewhere, jump forward a coupla decades/centuries, bust out my Cthulhu mecha and go on another rampage, repeating as necessary.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I'd go back a few weeks before 9/11 and similar disasters, and warn the appropriate people ahead of time...
      With that you'll certainly have no success -- it happened. Everything you can do in the past with a time machine already happened. You can't change things you know that happened. It would give a marvellous way to blame the appropriate people, though.
      Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

I'd go back 7 days and pick different Lotto numbers.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

To afterhistoric
          money sqrt evil;
          My literacy level are appalling.

Comment

I'd go to the early medieval times, before the turks invaded the balkans, and give the serbian tsar Lazar the knowledge of gunpowder and chemistry. Then design war weapons to repel the coming ottoman invasion and stop the coming 500 years of slavery...

And maybe then threaten Byzantine and Bulgaria into submission
            ... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality...
            ... Pain is an illusion...

Comment

Originally posted by muxec
              To afterhistoric

Comment

Maybe he means after the Rapture or something.
                Walking around, not much happening. Kind of Twilight Zoneish. "All the books I ever wanted. Ooops. MY GLASSES!"
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Two more places I'd like to go:

Norman sicily under Roger. Successfully blending arabic, greek, and latin culture, under Roger, Sicily became one of the strongest nations in Europe.

The Caliphate of Corboda: Seeing the glory of muslim spain (before the barbarian spanish to the north invade it) would be a sight. Especially the library.

Comment

Originally posted by Adalbertus

With that you'll certainly have no success -- it happened. Everything you can do in the past with a time machine already happened. You can't change things you know that happened. It would give a marvellous way to blame the appropriate people, though.
                    We are assuming that a time is possible. What you are doing is assuming it isn't possible. Do you think the Universe or the laws of physics cares about human history? Going back in time would displace atoms. Just taking a step would move soil. That is changing the past right there.

The only way time travel would be possible is if the multiple universe concept is real.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

quote:

Originally posted by muxec
                      To afterhistoric

Maybe he is a Marxist. There is peculiar and inhereintly meaningless concept in Marxism ; The End Of History.

Just another reason to consider Marx as a man of questionable competence.

Comment

I agree with ethelred.

Comment

Of course time travel will probably always be physically impossible, but we're just saying if it was possible, "What would you do?"
                          "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

First, I would think of the person I hate most in the here and now (probably my neighbor or something). Then, I would study up on Latin and write a "prophecy" that would predict many of the major catastrophes in the last several hundred years (Napoleonic Wars, WWII, cancelling of Seinfeld, etc.).

At the end of the letter, I would say that all of those events were just signs of oncoming Apocalypse and that the Antichrist would rise up in my time to destroy the world. Then I would name the person I hate most as the Antichrist and say that he must be killed at all costs, lest the world be destroyed.

With letter in hand, I would go back to 15th century and deliver the prophecy to the Vatican. I would tell the Pope that it was for his eyes only and then leave. Upon returning to my time, I would just sit back and enjoy watching my most hated enemy get capped by a Catholic hit squad.

Surely I can't be the only one who would use a time machine to destroy his enemies?
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

it's likely they wouldn't get named that name then, would they?
                              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Say that the letter wasn't to be opened until 2002 or something like that, and then they find out who the name was. It could work.
                                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                                X