Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only person here who hasn't read LOTR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Far better than that classical Shakespeare or Odyssey ****, that's for sure.

You're a tool.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I really wonder what they're going to be able to take out of The Two Towers movie. In Fellowship they could take out the Old Forest/Bombadil, and Return of the King is shorter anyway (and a lot of the stuff after Mount Doom is useless in a movie.) But I can't think of a lot to edit out of Two Towers to get it a manageable length.

Comment

You're a tool.
        What can I say - I like what I like, and have absolutely no culture or taste. Operas are boring too, and I wouldn't set foot near a theatre.

Unless it's with a girl, of course.

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
          It's Bilbo.

I've read it 3 times, in 3 different languages.
          Common, Elven and the dialect of Mordor??

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew1999
            I really wonder what they're going to be able to take out of The Two Towers movie. In Fellowship they could take out the Old Forest/Bombadil, and Return of the King is shorter anyway (and a lot of the stuff after Mount Doom is useless in a movie.) But I can't think of a lot to edit out of Two Towers to get it a manageable length.
            I suspect that they'll fit 3/4 of Two Towers in the second movie, and put the remaining 1/4 of Two Towers and the entirety of Return of the King in the third movie.
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Some people are missing the point of Tolkiens books here... it's not the regular crap sci-fi or fantasy here..

he made a couple of languages of which 2 are complete and he made a big story around it, and doing that he got a lot of inspiration from scandinavian sagas and the 'Vedda' or whatever it's called..

it's just a marvelous piece of writing, especially when he describes the landscapes and all... and it's interesting to see how people can be affected by the promise of power (Saruman for example), don't see what's boring about it... it's quite exciting to me..

and there's actually something behind it, something deeper, it's not just some guys fighting orcs and carrying a special ring..
              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Exactly...part of the appeal of LOTR is not only the rich, developed world it is set in (and Tolkien really DID make the Elvish language, which is a real language, not just a bunch of gobblydygook), but also the "deeper meanings" throughout the books.
                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

There are many reasons to appreciate TLOTR, but for me Frodo is the most important. Tolkien understood bravery. I guess he saw some in the trenches in WWI
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I've always liked the whole "powerful bad guy immune to powerful good guys but defeated by weakling good guy," which is far different from most of the "powerful bad guy defeated by powerful good guy after laying waste to hordes of weakling good guys" plots in most fantasy literature (including Tolkien's own notes that were compiled into the Silmarillion, in which Morgoth was finally only defeated when all of the other gods ganged up on him).
                    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                    X