Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many planets would we need if everyone on Earth lived like you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 planet with the surface area of... Jupiter
    Signature: Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
      CS,

Why, the kind where they have everything they need and want to eat, their own car at 16 or 17, reasonable gas prices, and basically all the creature comforts I enjoy, with added benefits due to technology.
      because we all know that's what's important in life
      "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

David Floyd:

I agree with you in concept... these environmentalists are ridiculous with their 'shocking statistics' that honestly mean little and there's no reason why any of us should go out of our way to protect the environment especially since I'm confident as technology progresses, we'll have no problem with pollution.

However, I'm still worried about the problem of decadence. A very very high living standard leads to sin and disrespect for one's fortune (rich whiteys from connecticut becoming free love hippies).

Although in all honesty, if I had money I know I'd be living large. Still, eventually I'd be ashamed of myself.

thanks
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I just wanted to add that I think that some of Dave's comments here are being taken a little too far. Him being a libertarian, I'm sure he favours a clean unpolluted world but he doesnt want the gov't legislating this. Little things that people do like start a car pool, recycle, etc. I'm sure he's all in favour of. So don't take **** like that more than 15 minute shower thing too seriously.

(I hope I spoke accurately for Dave and he was exaggerating a bit in his comments)

thanks
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Total Footprint 3.2
              In comparison, the average ecological footprint in your country is 4.4 global hectares per person.
              "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

nevermind. my bad
                Last edited by Al B. Sure!; September 6, 2002, 17:26.

Comment

The question is whether these 'shock values' are shocking us the right way. What they basically say is that if the average chinese wants the same standard of living as the average european, we would need like 2 earths, right? Shouldn't we be more concerned about the number of chinese than the european standard of living? If you halved the number of chinese and indians, all of a sudden we only need 1.5 earths. Count in all the people in underdeveloped countries, and we are all of a sudden doing fine.

And I'm not saying that we should kill people off. I'm saying that we need to work out a better solution... One part of the world started consuming a lot more than average, but on the other hand stopped their population growth. The other part of the world instead went for unchecked population expansion, up to the point where all these people are essentially doomed to poverty....

Not sure exactly where I'm going with this.... Except that we should send more condoms to India.
                  Gnu Ex Machina - the Gnu in the Machine

Comment

If everyone lived like me, we would need 2.9 planets.

Food 0.9

Mobility 0.2

Shelter 1.5

Goods/Services 2.6

Total Footprint 5.2

In comparison, the average ecological footprint in Italy is 3.8 global hectares per person.

Saluti
                    "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
                    The trick is the doing something else."
                    — Leonardo da Vinci
                    "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
                    "In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio

Comment

• Originally posted by CyberGnu
                      The question is whether these 'shock values' are shocking us the right way. What they basically say is that if the average chinese wants the same standard of living as the average european, we would need like 2 earths, right? Shouldn't we be more concerned about the number of chinese than the european standard of living? If you halved the number of chinese and indians, all of a sudden we only need 1.5 earths. Count in all the people in underdeveloped countries, and we are all of a sudden doing fine.

And I'm not saying that we should kill people off. I'm saying that we need to work out a better solution... One part of the world started consuming a lot more than average, but on the other hand stopped their population growth. The other part of the world instead went for unchecked population expansion, up to the point where all these people are essentially doomed to poverty....

Not sure exactly where I'm going with this.... Except that we should send more condoms to India.
                      I actually think you are right

It is not us that needs to live in poverty like the average Indian or whatever underdeveloped country

It's them who needs to stop reproducing like rabbits, and try to slowly diminuish their population

so that tere would be more resources for the people

We probably need to reduce the pop from the 6 billion we are now, to a more substainable 2-3 bilion

Saluti
                      "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
                      The trick is the doing something else."
                      — Leonardo da Vinci
                      "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
                      "In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio

Comment

• Originally posted by David Floyd
                        Why, the kind where they have everything they need and want to eat, their own car at 16 or 17, reasonable gas prices, and basically all the creature comforts I enjoy, with added benefits due to technology.
                        They're going to need air to breath to enjoy any of this. The right-wingers just don't get it. None of the money or material goods they value will mean anything if the planet dies. Idiots like Bush and people on Fox News talk about envoirnmentalism hurting the economy, slashing jobs, raising prices... guess what AIR IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN MACROECONOMIC GROWTH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giovanni Wine
                          It's them who needs to stop reproducing like rabbits, and try to slowly diminuish their population
                          Typical racist environmentalist BS. The problem is not the number of people in the world. The problem is that they want to live like us, and there simply aren't the resources on planet Earth to do that.

You can only live high on the hog fo so long. After that you get what happened to Rapa Nui.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Children are indeed the overwhelming main cause of poverty. The cosumme a lot and produce very little. Aslo younger adults earn less than older (non retired) adults.
                            One example it the common comparison between the incomes between too 'UNAMED RACIAL GROUPS' in the USA. When age normed, comparing only between same age person and families wiht the same age distrution, a large majority of the income disparity vanishes. I am not sure what the figure is now, but the last time a saw is some years ago over 75% of the income disparity was due to the differences in the age distribution in the populations, rather than discriminationor other factors, just do to reproductive strategy (or lack thereof), which itself (reproductive habits) is, of course, influenced by poverty.
                            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

• No need to go to extremes. Yes, we do need to learn to live more environmentally friendly, but that is mainly at a global perspective. Global warming is the main thing that americans should worry about...

But this footprint measures EVERYTHING. Including eating meat, which, if you live in the US, is absolutely pointless. Sure, you can feed ten people the grain it takes to make enough meat for one, but so what? That is just thermodynamics. We're currently buning as much food, calorywise, as we the meat we eat. It's economics, not irresponsibility.

As long as the US population stays stable (discounting immigration) I don't think the world has cause for complaint, except for global warming.
                              Gnu Ex Machina - the Gnu in the Machine

Comment

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                                X