Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many planets would we need if everyone on Earth lived like you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Floyd
    Osweld,

And how many of those do you think are in the US? Not all that many
    Enviromentalists aren't a sub-species of humans. My point was that people are capable of caring and thinking of something else other then themselves - despite what you may think. Of course, you're probably so self-centered that you can't even realise this.

On the other hand, I would not cut down on food consumption or car use or 15 minute showers or anything of the sort.
    Why in the world would you even need to spend longer then 15 minutes in a shower?
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

how odd...
      as a korean, only 3.6
      as an american, 4.2

this with the same options, mind you.

very odd.
      B♭3

Comment

This must be the most rigged test I have ever taken.

laughable.

What can I say, I am not Green enough to believe it
        insert some tag here

Comment

CS,

I'm just curious as to whether you intend at some point in the future to have children, and if so what sort of world you'd like them to live in.
          Why, the kind where they have everything they need and want to eat, their own car at 16 or 17, reasonable gas prices, and basically all the creature comforts I enjoy, with added benefits due to technology.

Osweld,

Enviromentalists aren't a sub-species of humans. My point was that people are capable of caring and thinking of something else other then themselves - despite what you may think. Of course, you're probably so self-centered that you can't even realise this.
          No, I can realize that. I just tend not to worry about things and let problems I don't understand or can't do anything about solve themselves

Why in the world would you even need to spend longer then 15 minutes in a shower?
          Why, because hot water is relaxing, of course.
          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

My number of planets is 1.6. Not too bad.

Food 1

Mobility 0 (I simply walk everywhere)

Shelter 1

Goods/Services 0.8

Total Footprint 2.8

Comment

8.4 planets - 15.2global hectares

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Hmmm. 98.6 planets. I guess I am going to have to kill all of you to make enough room.

Tata, mortals.
                Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

wow -- shelter size is huge in this thing-- I increased apartment size from a middle setting to the largest one and saw the score go from from 4.2 to 6.5 planets

Its a funny test-- I live in canada and of course we will use more energy than most of the world-- you know to avoid Freezing to death-- Thats accounted forin the numbers somehow . . . but if Everyone in the world lived like me . . . well thats illogical since there is no way someone in a tropical rainforest would ever have our heating and shelter needs
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                    2.6 hectares, requiring 1.4 planets. I got major reduction in points due to my transportation situation and living in NYC.
                    Same here, I got exactly the same.
                    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Food 1.2

Mobility 0.2

Shelter 2.3

Goods/Services 2

Total Footprint 5.7

Its a bit of a crappy quiz because so much of the score is for a big house. But clearly this depends on where you live - someone living in Tokyo is clearly going to have a different sized place from someone living in Siberia.

Comment

Poorly designed test. Question 10's options are particularly ridiculous.

5.3 Hectares for me, 2.1 planets total. Not bad.

Comment

The test makes certain assumptions it shouldn't make, but given that it's particularly short, let it slide. I'd like to see a more in-depth, more balanced view, but this is kinda fun and gives you an idea.

BTW, Flubber living in more Southerly climes doesn't mean you have lower energy bills. Where I live, we may only have to turn the heat on for a month or so, but for six months of the year, the air conditioning is on.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

7.4 hectares and 4.1 Earths.

Comment

If everyone lived like you, we would need 3.2 planets
                              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                                how odd...
                                as a korean, only 3.6
                                as an american, 4.2

this with the same options, mind you.

very odd.
                                Not so odd.

Compare a rural area in the US to one in Korea. In the US, there will be lights along the roads, more paved roads. There are probably better sewage systems, etc.

I don't mean to imply that everyone in Korea is poor or anything, but the average American's car has air-conditioning, electric radios, etc.

I would guess that travelling 5 miles in the US consumes more resources than travelling 5 miles in Korea.

I'm guessing that the country selection somewhat reflects that.

Comment

Working...
                                X