Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many planets would we need if everyone on Earth lived like you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'd need 3.

Category global hectares

Food 2.2

Mobility 0.1

Shelter 1.6

Goods/Services 1.5

Total Footprint 5.4
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

monolith, I think Osweld is pointing out that the minimum you can get, no matter what, is 1 planet, since that's what we currently have to work with.

What was the hectare outcome for the Malaysian Green?
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
        No Osweld
        If I lived the way I polled, and EVERYONE did, then I'm sure we could support another few billion. Heck maybe more than that.
        The quiz is about how much larger the earth would have to be to support your life style globally. If everyone lived green, we could all easily fit on one planet and would not need to have any more space.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

3.7 planets
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Hmmm I can't remember...
            Ah well I'm sure this whole ecology thing'll work out in the end.........
            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
            Drake Tungsten
            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
            Albert Speer

Comment

If everyone lived like you, we would need 3.8 planets.

Category
              global hectares

Food 1.6

Mobility 0.3

Shelter 2.8

Goods/Services 2.1

Total Footprint 6.8
              In comparison, the average ecological footprint in your country is 9.7 global hectares per person.

Worldwide, there exist 1.8 biologically productive global hectares per person.
              I got pissed after taking this BS test. Bah!
              Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
              *****Citizen of the Hive****
              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

2.3 planets. Add Mars and the moon, and we can just about fit that many people.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I rated 5.6 hectares which is only 60% of the U.S. average. I bike alot and I live in a city with excellent trolly service plus my car is a fuel efficient four cylinder.

It would take 3.1 earths for everyone to live like me. Fortunately, everyone doesn't live like me so I get to continue living the highlife.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                    So the Communist turns out to be the biggest burden on the planet so far... oh, the irony!
                    I got nailed on the apartment. I have a big 'un (1326 sq ft.). Plus I live in the hot, humid South.

Food 1.8

Mobility 0.2

Shelter 4

Goods/Services 2.9

Total Footprint 8.9
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

If everyone lived like you, we would need 1.7 planets.

Category
                      global hectares

Food 2.4

Mobility 0

Shelter 0.4

Goods/Services 0.3

Total Footprint 3.1

thanks
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Whomever made this quize....I oughta kick him/her in the groin for their stupidity. Once more:
                        Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                        Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                        *****Citizen of the Hive****
                        "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

8.1 compared to an average of 9.7. Mostly because I don't drive.
                          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I agree. From a scientific stand point this test is designed to shock people and not to be accurate. The numbers are inflated. Plus it didn't take into account heating energy; I live in southern California and almost never use the heater or airconditioner (I love that ocean breeze ) so wouldn't an ice bound canuk consume more then the quiz let's on?
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                              2.3 planets. Add Mars and the moon, and we can just about fit that many people.
                              Yah, but by the time we get around to colonizing Mars and the Moon, we'll need a lot more planets than that. Then where do we go?
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                                Ah well I'm sure this whole ecology thing'll work out in the end.........
                                How? Did you hear something about Dubya and the fat one stepping down?

Last edited by Carver; September 5, 2002, 21:58.

Comment

Working...
                                X