Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greeks ban computer games! and mobile phones!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeks ban computer games! and mobile phones!

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5206

ONE OF THE SO-CALLED CRADLES of European civilisation appears to have got its Aristotles all in a twist over computer gaming. And mobile phones, for that matter.
    The Greek government appears to have lost its marbles.

The government wanted to prevent its people from wasting their money by using electronic slot machines but the democratically appointed government has banned all computer games everywhere by mistake.

And now the cops are raiding Internet cafes to enforce the said SNAFU.

The law, according to our Greek correspondents, prohibits any kind of game that is played on any kind of electronic equipment.

And it appears to have been drafted so loosely that that includes mobile phones.

Theoretically, the cops could bust into people's homes but so far apparently they have arrested Internet cafe owners and customers who were fighting a few rounds of Q3 CTF.

Next thing, the cops will be creeping up on people using their mobile phones just to make sure they're not playing a quick game rather than using them for their real purpose.

Here are some details of the **** up in Greek.

And there's more details about this at the Greek Net Cafe organisation.

Give us a glass of hemlock, Socrates! µ

So Markos; stop playing Civ; you are breaking the law .
    Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
    Waikato University, Hamilton.

if it was a mistake then why don't they fix it?
    "Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy

Comment

Since this is a "computer gaming forum" so to speak, does that mean that Apolyton could be raided at anytime now?!

Comment

When games are outlawed, only outlaws will play games! Which is good, because then they'll spend all their time honing their Warcraft III Battle.net rushing strategies instead of committing murder and recreational pillage.
        "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
        "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

20th century madness...
          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

You know, say what you will, Turkey's never banned games.

They've banned freedom of speech, but you can't have everything, right?

Comment

This is outrageous.... Greece is actually a dictatorship.
              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I hope this means they'll close Apolyton.

Comment

Dear God!

Something must be done about this Greek place.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

EASY PEOPLE!!! The server is in Texas, so we are cool.

Markos might be arrested though......
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Markos, get out of that backward country! Maybe Turkey will be more tolerant.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

"The Greek government appears to have lost its marbles. "

There in good hands with mother england now

Comment

I hope they won't say games are evil and attack us .

Why can't people waste their money on slots etc? I thought democracy was about choices..
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

korea's always a good bet too, markos:

good food, and computer games have professional leagues there...
                            B♭3

Comment

Wouldn't it just be a hoot and a holler if it turned out that they accidently banned the Olympics too? I mean, the Olympics are televised and televisions are electronic aren't they? We can't have the Olympics without television cameras can we? It only stands to reason that the Athens Olympics must go!
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                              X