No announcement yet.

Is it too early for nineties nostalgia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it too early for nineties nostalgia?

I'll tell you what is one thing it is not too early to nostalgize about. Tamagotchi! Remember those little beeping plastic pests? One minute, they're all the rage, everyone has them, everyone's taking care of them, beep beep beep in the classroom, and then - gone! Forgotten! Like the wind! The perfectest example of fad ever, I tell you!

Another thing of the nineties - Rwanda. At one time, the massacre of Tutsis by Hutus (or was it the other way around?) was the great tragedy of the time, and then - it was forgotten. The human suffering, now only occassionally remembered, in "Rwanda... Oh yes, that Rwanda" kind of way.

Any other examples of nineties nostalgia? Hey, it's the only decade many of us have nostalgizing about!
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Spice girls....gladly forgotten.

'Til now.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Backstreet Boys, Hooty and the Blowfish...many more, probably.

The last truely horrible looking cars were made in the early nineties.

Comment

Well I thought people would have forgotten about Iraq and Saddam Hussein... I mean it's been over ten years since Desert Storm but...
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Spice girls....gladly forgotten.
          On that note, Hansons. I don't think that Backstreet Boys count yet, since they're still in the collective memory. But the Hansons have been gladly forgotten.

Let me just say one (two?) word(s) that will cause much pain inside you: "Mmm-bop".

Another band: Rednex. Still remember that good ol' "Cotton-Eyed Joe"?
          "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
          "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

I never fell to tamagotchi, but I knew a girl who was called "mamagotchi" at that time ...
            The Rwanda thing - will happen to Afghanistan quite soon, I fear. And nostalgia is a positive memory which I don't have about Rwanda. I'd call this simply forgotten.

- My student life. Ended 2. 12. 1999.
            - Amiga computers. Preemptive multitasking when others fought with Windows 3.1
            Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Eroberor:

let's not forget Coolio and Sisqo...
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Stefu

On that note, Hansons.
                This is what happens when teenage angst is allowed to get out of hand.

Comment

- Amiga computers. Preemptive multitasking when others fought with Windows 3.1
                  YES! YES! AMIGAS! Once there was a time, when PC wasn't the only 'puter around, and the Great Wars weren't between operating systems but (gasp) between different computers! I remember having an Amiga 600 and arguing about it's superiority against PC users.

I also had a Commodore-64, before the Amiga.

Comment

This is what happens when teenage angst is allowed to get out of hand.
                    One of my friends had the opinion that Hansons would become a punk band after their voice broke. I think he severely overestimated their staying power.

Comment

There's a student pub that I visit quite often mostly 'cause I know others there and they got cheap kilkenny on tap. The drawback is that the people that's in the council there for the last couple of years are dominated by a bunch of girls that always want eurotechno and other music from the time they where young (as in 13-16 years old; early 90s). I swear, the next time I hear 'Pump it" with technotronics or anything by Gyllene Tider I'll kill someone.

Comment

Believe it or not, Rwanda and Bosnia are still big deals in the foreign-policy community. They may have dropped off the public's radar, but the planners are a different story...
                        If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Everyone remember Diana, Princess of Wales?

What a lovely person, not fake in the slightest.

Comment

Hey Finns! Anyone still remember Estonia? The boat, not the country.

How about Elisabeth Rehn? Or Apulanta? "EI EU"?

Comment

Star Trek's "Deep Space 9" ... that show ROCKED!!!

Gatekeeper
                              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Working...
                              X