This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finbar

I'm honestly not sure what the margin should be. The ABs' margin over the Boks was a lot more than the Wallabies', which is probably the major factor to take into consideration. But the Boks are always stronger at home. OTOH, they're playing at sea level. (I'm really not sure, anyway, how much of a factor playing at altitude really is) Look, I reckon, after due consideration, I'd give the Boks 7 points start.
    Crikey.
    This is the Aus/RSA match this Sat right?
    I would've given the Wallys a half-dozen points or so ... The Boks were beaten fairly convincingly by both NZ and Aus so I would have thought both teams would still start as favourites against them, even in SA?

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
      About a RL filter, I agree but Toulouse is also a town hosting a fine RL team (the Spacers) which has won two French championship titles in the last years. To my defence, the Spacers are playing in front of a few hundreds spectators only.

I hope that supporting the "Stade Toulousain" which earned something like six French Championship titles in the last decade protects me from this filter. Do it ?
      Okay, Tamerlin, we'll give you a special log-in to bypass the filter, but only if you promise to "streak" at the next Spacers game with france telecom painted across your body.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat

Nonsense, that's just us flankers getting the job done right and well. Not that I've ever been offside or anything
        Yeah, and sides of bacon might fly!
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
          I don't know about encouraging players to push the envelope any either. I'd think they might even be more restrained playing under the officiating of someone they knew fairly well. I don't have anything to back that up mind you, its just an impression.
          That's why I pose the question. There are arguments both ways.

Comment

Crikey.
            This is the Aus/RSA match this Sat right?
            No, it's the ABs -v- Boks this Saturday night. Wallabies -v- Boks on the 17th. We need to decide a margin - if any - pretty soon.

Comment

No, it's the ABs -v- Boks this Saturday night. Wallabies -v- Boks on the 17th. We need to decide a margin - if any - pretty soon.
              OK. After returning to primary school - relearning how to read - then rereading your post - you did say you'd give the Boks a 7-point start (which I cleverly managed to read as a 7 point margin *ahem* ).
              That sounds pretty good but I should probably abstain from guessing on AB's matches though.

Comment

but I should probably abstain from guessing on AB's matches though.
                Consensus rules around here.

Comment

Agreed again. But it raises an interesting question. How "familiar" should players be with refs and vice versa? I've noticed that some refs tend to call the players by their christian name on the field. I've even heard some players call the ref by his christian name on the field. At what point, I wonder, does this sort of familiarity impact on the policing of the game?
                  As far as I know, the only player that is supposed to address the referee is the team captain and the referee is to always be referred to as "sir". But than again if it's a more relaxed setting, such as a club and everybody knew each other I could see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat
                    As far as I know, the only player that is supposed to address the referee is the team captain and the referee is to always be referred to as "sir".
                    That's how it used to be at international level. Times seem to have changed. Though you do still get some skippers using the "Sir". Another of rugby's wonderful little idiosyncracies.

Comment

I'd think they might even be more restrained playing under the officiating of someone they knew fairly well.
                      Actually, I think the referee might be more intransigeant (picky, if the former word is not Emglish), with players they know.
                      I have refereed a few times, and I ended up penalising players I knew more than others. Considering I have given an average of one penalty per match to my current captain/president for opening his big mouth, that may be yet another reason why he won't let me play scrum half?

7 points for Boks? Or do you mean 7 1/2?
                      Clash of Civilization team member
                      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                        Considering I have given an average of one penalty per match to my current captain/president for opening his big mouth, that may be yet another reason why he won't let me play scrum half?

7 points for Boks? Or do you mean 7 1/2?
                        Yes, sorry. There should be the half point. How about 7 1/2? What are your thoughts on the margin, LDiCesare?

Edit. I just checked one of our Sports Betting outlets. They have given the Boks 5 1/2 points start. That organisation is traditionally pretty careful.

Comment

I didn't see the boks play, so I am a bit uncomfortable with giving a margin myself. I think 5 1/2 is a bit generous. I'd expect the blacks to win by a bit more, if only because the local kiwis will be unhappy if they don't redeem their defeat a bit. 7 1/2 sounds better to me. Then I will bet on the boks and be damned when they lose by 6 points.
                          Clash of Civilization team member
                          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Tamerlin's last post

Okay, Tamerlin, we'll give you a special log-in to bypass the filter, but only if you promise to "streak" at the next Spacers game with france telecom painted across your body.
                            Not a chance, as Caligastia said it earlier I'am too kind and won't take the risk to offend the female spectators with my naked skinny body.

This is something to which Tamerlin referred a month or so ago...
                            Hum, hum, I plead guility. I have not forgotten you Finbar, as soon as I have the time I send you a little translation.
                            "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                              I didn't see the boks play, so I am a bit uncomfortable with giving a margin myself. I think 5 1/2 is a bit generous. I'd expect the blacks to win by a bit more, if only because the local kiwis will be unhappy if they don't redeem their defeat a bit. 7 1/2 sounds better to me. Then I will bet on the boks and be damned when they lose by 6 points.
                              Yes, I think the 5 1/2 is a bit generous, too. The ABs should be favourites, I think, but it should be a bit of a challenge to back them. Otherwise there's no fun in it.

How does everyone else feel about 7 1/2 points start for the Boks?

Comment

Re: Tamerlin's last post

Originally posted by Tamerlin
                                Not a chance, as Caligastia said it earlier I'am too kind and won't take the risk to offend the female spectators with my naked skinny body.
                                Okay, we can wait till you build up the pecs!

Hum, hum, I plead guility. I have not forgotten you Finbar, as soon as I have the time I send you a little translation.
                                No worries, Tamerlin, I wasn't having a shot at you. It's just that now Havak seems to be talking about the same thing and I'm really really intrigued. As I've said, I've never heard of anyone in this part of the world seriously suggesting it. They'd be off their heads if they did.

Comment

Working...
                                X