No announcement yet.

This subject scares the heck out of me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This subject scares the heck out of me!

From Newsmax

The value of our currency is not based upon anything of intrensic value, but rather on the full faith and confidence of the Federal Government, and our economic ability.
    Social Security and other entitlements currently represent an 8.7 trillion dollar unfunded liability. http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/social-security/

American businesses are currently under investigation for deliberately mis-reporting income, and other financial frauds, as never before in our history.

Our trade deficits are at record all time highs. As a nation, we purchase far more than we sell to outside countries.

What will happen to the value of our money, and inflation, when it becomes widely accepted that the country is broke, and hopelessly in debt?

Serious informed comments will be appreciated.

A serious answer. Dead serious.

At your FIRST opportunity, convert about a fifth of your personal worth into hard cash.

Hard cash is not dollar bills and quarters. It is pre-1964 silver currency, and gold. You can buy what is called "junk silver" by the "bag". These are US silver coins. They are sold at very nearly silver value/weight, with the premium being added by the fact that they are easily recognized worldwide as silver.

If you are a *****in' gambler, you could mortgage yer house, car, and wife, buy a buncha junk silver... and then when the balloon goes up, pay off your mortgage, get yer car and wife back -- for one thousandth part or less of what you got for them.

In Germany, (1922) people bought houses, then paid for them at a ten-thousandth of a cent on the dollar a month later.

Timing, for this kind of thinking, requires a bona fide time machine.

For serious planning, though, do Paragraph 2.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

I don't quite get the point, but I think this is a good time to invest money, now that everything is down. Just be careful you don't buy stocks of a company that might be insovlent tomorrow

Comment

If you have much money, you can invest. If you have little money, you shouldn't invest. If you have no money at all, you must invest. - Andre Kostolany

Comment

A paper bill or a silver coin has value for the exact same reason--everyone else thinks it has value. There's no real reason for gold and silver to be considered valuable. You can't eat a gold bar, or burn it for warmth, or live in it. I suppose you could make it into bullets to defend yourself, but that's about it. Silver collapsed several years ago when everyone realized it was just another metal, and gold looked like it was headed the same way until recently. There's no certificate from God in a vault in Zurich that says "Gold is valuable." The only investment I can think of with real value is real estate, and that's if you can convince people that the piece of paper you have means you own the land it says you do.

Comment

Bad advice. The US will either try to inflate its way out of this mess, but just as easily it could fall into deflation.

If you mortgage your house to the brim you'd have debt that stays and an imploding nominal house value. Not good.

Comment

When the entire world collapses the only things that are of any real value are food, clean water, fuel, and land. Possibly seeds of crops. Things that people need to survive. Anything else don't mean a thing. During hard times a steel knife is worth a lot more than a gold bar, or even 10 gold bars.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

But what if you have a situation in which only the monitary system collapses, and everything else stays more or less intact? Gold and silver could still be valuable because they have uses, for example gold is used in the manufacture of computers.
              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

You end up with a bartering system when money doesn't mean crap. That happened in a whole bunch of countries including China (ROC to be precise) when a person need a cartload of banknotes just to get a loaf of bread.
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Caligasta, you just realized all of this? This topic is like the DUH of economics.

IMO, you shouldn't just get money for the sake of having money. You should get money and buy stuff with it. My goal is to buy some land in New Mexico, and become totally self-sufficient (buy solar power cells, grow my food hydroponically). I'll simply invest a little money to pay property taxes, water costs, maybe a vehicle, and for simple maintenance. Of course, I'll have to buy a stockpile of weapons just in case there's some sort of major collapse .
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
                    But what if you have a situation in which only the monitary system collapses, and everything else stays more or less intact? Gold and silver could still be valuable because they have uses, for example gold is used in the manufacture of computers.
                    Would it still be at $300/oz though? I don't know exactly how much copper and aluminum trade for but they're priced in cents per ton, not dollars per ounce.

Comment

The monitary system of the US will collapse when it collapses militarily. As long as people can be thrown into prison for refusing to accept US currency, it will be accepted.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                        You should get money and buy stuff with it. My goal is to buy some land in New Mexico, and become totally self-sufficient (buy solar power cells, grow my food hydroponically).
                        And you're going to share it with Lexa?

Comment

People survived the the 20s and 30s, even in Germany.

Some People always has to be so dramatic and dig down in preparation of the apocalypse.

Comment

I still think the worst case scenario for the US economy now is Japan II. Still a lit better than the great depression.

Comment

Another melo-dramatic thread.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X