Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why turn your back on the wisdom of the ages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bah, "Moderation in all things" easily predates Aristotle, albeit he talked about the virtue in some detail.

Socrates uses "Moderation in all things" in his trial, and then he refers to it as an old saying. According to Thuycisidies in 432 AD the Corinthian's attempt to persuade the Spartan's that by keeping at peace with Athen's they are not exercising moderation in all things (since the Athenian's are gluttons in their appetite for power).

Bottom line, the saying is a great deal older than Aristotle and is probably just an ancient proverb with no clear author.

Comment

"Moderation in all things" is actually an ancient Greek idea and summarises their philosophy of life

Some ancient Greeks, Horse .

I believe it was first articulated by Heraclitus.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

BTW, someone mentioned the 'natural religious bent' of 'primitive' man.

I think it is more 'spiritual' than 'religious'.

I think that the most pristine, uncontaminated early cultures could actually teach us a lot about living in harmony with each other.
        "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
        "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Working...
        X