Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WorldCom Finds $3.8 Billion Error, Fires CFO

WorldCom Finds $3.8 Billion Error, Fires CFO

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - WorldCom Inc., the No. 2 U.S. long-distance carrier, on Tuesday said it had fired its chief financial officer after uncovering improper accounting of almost $4 billion in expenses, in the latest financial scandal to rock Corporate America.

WorldCom also said it would cut 17,000 jobs, or more than 20 percent of its work force, starting on Friday, a cost-cutting move expected to save $900 million on an annual basis.

The Clinton, Mississippi-based company said that accounting irregularities involving expenses misrecorded as capital expenditures had inflated its cash flow and that otherwise it would have reported a net loss for 2001 and the first quarter of 2002.

The accounting irregularities, which did not conform to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, included transfers between internal accounts of $3.06 billion in 2001 and $797 million in the first quarter of 2002.

Accounting firm Andersen, whose role as the auditor of Enron helped lead to the energy trader's collapse, had audited WorldCom's financial statements for 2001.

Shares of WorldCom had plunged in after hours trading on Tuesday following a report by CNBC that the company had uncovered accounting irregularities.

The stock fell to 20 cents a share on the Island system from a close of 83 cents on Nasdaq. The previous closing low was 87 cents, while the stock had traded as high as $16.06 in the past 52 weeks.

WorldCom also said it had fired Chief Financial Officer Scott Sullivan and accepted the resignation of David Myers as senior vice president and controller.

"Our senior management team is shocked by these discoveries," said John Sidgmore, WorldCom CEO for less than two months.

"I want to assure our customers and employees that the company remains viable and committed to a long-term future. Our services are in no way affected by this matter," he said in a statement.

WorldCom said it had notified the Securities and Exchange Commission ( news - web sites) and had asked auditor KPMG to undertake a comprehensive review of its financial statements for 2001
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

I saw it was 3.9 billion...

Just look at where that took the greenback vs. Euro
    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Worldcom provides almost as much entertainment value as Enron. Well, should be about the only value it provides....

DT at 8.63 euros. Might be worth a little gambling....

Comment

Btw, "error" is a nice euphemism for "goddamn screamin' fraud".

Comment

Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
          Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Copycat thread
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Looks like we'll get exactly the panic reversal that will **** up things the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                Copycat thread
                Of which thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Roland

Looks like we'll get exactly the panic reversal that will **** up things the most.
                  So it's "hard landing" after all

Crash and burn baby, crash and burn.

Comment

Hard landing for the dollar. US economy is for now hanging in a limbo between imploding stock market and industry trouble, and the kicking housing bubble with the consumer side.

But hey, uncle Alan will save us today. Say that he will, please.....

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
                      Of which thread?
                      This
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Does the news report have a technical error? They claim that the accounting manipulation inflated the cash flow. That doesn't make sense. EPS should be affected but not cash flow. Cash flow would reflect the expenditure wether it is capitalized or not.

Comment

I think I read it inflated EBITDA by that 3.8 or 3.9 billion $. Anyway I assume the whole thing has to be a bit more complex. It can't be so simple to hide 4 billion $ just by slapping a new label on it....

Comment

When you're a huge, evil, greedy corporation, what's another 4 billion, hidden from the prying eyes of the government?
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Watching the dollar/euro rate is more exciting than Brasil - Turkey IMHO.

Seriously, it's not a pretty sight, and GE and Fannie & Freddie haven't even cracked yet.
                              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Working...
                              X