Should Saddam be toppled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Saddam be toppled?

The President has given the executive order for his removal. Senators have started to back his plan. Some even support military action.

Personaly, I think that he should go, but not yet...not until Pakistani/Indian relations are somewhat mended...the U.S. should keep its focus on preventing escalation.
    The U.S. should go all out
    38.89%
    The U.S. should get help from other countries first
    18.52%
    The U.S. should do nothing at this moment
    24.07%
    The U.S. should do nothing about Saddam
    18.52%
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Absolutely not. Not only is it not worth a single American life, but it is absolutely none of our business.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

I say go after him.... with everything. He is a threat. He could have nukes in five years... it is scary.
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Leave him. There are other dictators just as evil.

Comment

just where did my post go?

I guess I voted on the poll instead of submitting it.

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon
            Leave him. There are other dictators just as evil.
            but not other dictators who are as anti US

if we did not want to topple him then we should never have entered desert storm, as it is right now we have to eliminate him

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

As it stands, the United States would be in violation of international law in any attempt to oust Saddam. We currently have no provocation. We have to let him make the first move.
              "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
              "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
              "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

I think we should think about the other Middle Eastern countries first. Just because he's anti-US doesn't give us a right to get him. If we obtain evidence that he plans (or has planned) attacks on the US or any other country regardless of affiliation, we should go in and kick his butt.

What he did to the Iraqi Kurds was despicable and for that he should be punished. But that's why they have the Crimes Against Humanity court.

But again, just because he's anti-US doesn't give us a right to get him...only if he has tangible evidence that he means to do harm against other countries should any one go in there.
                Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                *****Citizen of the Hive****
                "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I would love to see Saddam gone, but I don't think the U.S. can afford to violate international law or piss off our allies around the world by just going in gung-ho. If we can't build a coalition to isolate him and remove him, then we're just going to have to thwart his evildoings by other means.

The-Ends-Justify-The-Means mentality we seem to have is wearing thin on pretty much the entire world. Without evidence and a legitimate casus belli, we should stay out.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Kirnwaffen
                    As it stands, the United States would be in violation of international law in any attempt to oust Saddam. We currently have no provocation. We have to let him make the first move.
                    International Law, International Shmaw. We shouldn't wait for him to build up his WMD arsenal or hinder US efforts in anyway. Especially if we don't actively go to war, our Allies will make no serious reaction if Saddam is removed.
                    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

He should have been toppled in 1991. Great call, Mr. Bush Sr.

But as of right now...It's not worth the effort, unless Saddam does something stupid.
                      DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS

Comment

Originally posted by JCG
                        Too bad the folks running the show back then are the same ones running the show now.

You can thank Mr. Powell for that boneheaded move.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Someone on the radio said the order specifically allows special forces to kill Saddam only in self defense.

Kinda begs the question...
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by JCG

But as of right now...It's not worth the effort, unless Saddam does something stupid.

Funny, Bush was following the UN mandate and made the 'popular' (among the Muslim nations) decision to not take Saddam down. Similar conduct today is demanded by the rest of the world and many Democrats in the US. Be consistent people.
                            "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

It doesn't help that Bush is constantly being fed information about possible nuclear attacks on the US. It not an easy position to be in. Do nothing, and you run the risk of seeing millions of your own people killed. Do something, and you end up in a war where no one supports you. Bein' President ain't a day at the ranch.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X