No announcement yet.

Abolish US Electoral College?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what already happens, BTW. My riding votes ~90% Liberal, and has for the last 30 years. That means squat to me. It's not taking 3/4 of my vote away from me just because I happen to live in Quebec like the US' system would.

Yes, by the way. I have difficulty thinking "outside my box". I'm like an 8 year-old and haven't figured out that the Golden Rule is the basis for all reasonable ethical systems.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I agree with Asher .

Comment

You openly admit that there are no safeguards at all to protect provinces being assraped under the current system, and you're absolutely okay with this since you live in the 2nd largest province in the country

The US' system of checks and balances has been carried so far that they have difficulty doing anything at all. It might explain why they've gone from being the most progressive country in the world to reactionary in the space of the last two centuries.

We should have done with it and amalgamate the West into one giant province. Then you could quit your whining about how you live in a small province and are overlooked.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Only a Central Canadian could defend Canadian democracy (?) the way a Central Canadian can.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Or even better, we could split Quebec and Ontario into 10 new provinces.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

The US' system of checks and balances has been carried so far that they have difficulty doing anything at all. It might explain why they've gone from being the most progressive country in the world to reactionary in the space of the last two centuries.
              This is a GOOD thing. The government shouldn't act on the impulses of ONE SENILE OLD MAN like Canada does. It's that reason why Canada has $1.50 per CD-R in tariffs or $20 per GB on digital media player that go directly to the record companies. It's a REALLY REALLY DUMB IDEA.

I'd rather have the US' system of checks and balances keep a just system across all states, as well as prevent stupid laws such as the stuff the Liberals are trying to pull (successfully, since they control everything in the government).

We should have done with it and amalgamate the West into one giant province. Then you could quit your whining about how you live in a small province and are overlooked.
              Yes, because you know Alberta and Manitoba have the same political views. Genius.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                Only a Central Canadian could defend Canadian democracy (?) the way a Central Canadian can.
                I'd never vote for a government that would have me as a supporter.

Or words to that effect.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Or even better, we could split Quebec and Ontario into 10 new provinces.
                  That wouldn't matter for the long haul if the PM remains a dictator for 4 year terms.

/Edited to add the quote. Damn I hate these tail chase dog threads.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Yes, because you know Alberta and Manitoba have the same political views. Genius

So we divide up provinces according to their political views?

According to that, Quebec needs to be split into at least 2 (maybe three) provinces.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

That wouldn't matter for the long haul if the PM remains a dictator for 4 year terms.
                      5 years.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

So we divide up provinces according to their political views?

According to that, Quebec needs to be split into at least 2 (maybe three) provinces.
                        No, but we don't merge the existing provinces for arbitrary reasons like you want to, especially when you know they have completely different political viewpoints.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The secret KH, is balance. Real power to balance the power of the PM. Why are you allergic?
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

Asher, you're bootstrapping.

What would be your problem with dividing the big provinces into little ones? We'd be breaking the back of your imaginary giants, and I'd go along with it 100%.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The secret KH, is balance. Real power to balance the power of the PM. Why are you allergic?
                              I could deal with a real Senate, but not one that is simply an excuse to give the 140 000 people of PEI as much say as the 10 000 000 people of Ontario.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Asher, you're bootstrapping.

What would be your problem with dividing the big provinces into little ones? We'd be breaking the back of your imaginary giants, and I'd go along with it 100%.
                                Because there's no change in ANYTHING doing that. Those same regions will more or less vote for the same damn party anyway, but they'd simply get MORE senate seats to represent the same geographic region which would completely miss the point of having a balance senate.

Comment

Working...
                                X