No announcement yet.

What are the best pieces of Literature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the best pieces of Literature?

Anyway, I've just started reading (and getting into) Doestyevsky's Crime and Punishment. I was just wondering what you, Apolytoners, think is the best piece of Literature ever written. Oh, and just for fun write the worst as well .

Mine:

Best: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

Worst: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Well, going by what I've read, it's:

Best: Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Worst: My Life as a 10-Year Old Boy by Nancy Cartwright
    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

i recommend '1984' by George Orwell
      "Per Ardua ad Astra"

Comment

i recommend 1984 by George Orwell
        "Per Ardua ad Astra"

Comment

The thing about The Scarlet Letter is that it reflects the times.
          It wouldn't make my Must Have list, just noting.

Peter Pan, LOTR, Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.
          I'm reading Sin Killer by McMurtry now. First in a 4 part series that seems to me will be made into a movie.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by huntergatherer
            i recommend 1984 by George Orwell X 2!

So.... are you recommending 1984 by George Orwell?

Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Oh, I know, Sloww... I just didn't like it. The internal thoughts there bothered me, while in Crime and Punishment it just brings me in.

And actually I just made this poll to see which books I should pick up from the library to read this summer . My motives are not just a fun thread this time .

I do wonder if Don Quixote by Cervantes is worth reading.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Blood Meridian or the evening redness in the west by Cormac McCarthy.

Comment

To Kill a Mockingbird

Uncle Tom's Cabin

Voltaire's Candide is some nice fluff.

Two Years before the Mast is interesting from a scholastic point but doesn't have a good writing style.

I tried Crime & Punishment, War & Peace and Moby **** but couldn't get into them.

I'm currently working my way though Edward Bellamy's Looking Backwards...but I don't have great hopes for it.

For some really well written current literature: Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier and The Shipping News by C. Annie Prolx.

Comment

The best. Tough one there. Either The Guide or LotR. Of course, bestness is always in the eye of the beholder.

The worst... hmmm, a scifi novel written by me would probably be on that scale, since it's absolute suckiness can't be passed on even by trying to be bad (and thus, funny)... then again, I was rather young (13) when writing it.
                    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

To Kill A Mockingbird IS great.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Anything by Jean Pierre van Rossem!!
                        In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
                        In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

Ooooh yeah. George Orwell!!

"Keep the Apadistra Flying" and "Down and Out in Paris and London"--from the days when he was a communist.

"1984" and "Animal Farm"--after he became an anti-communist.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                            I tried Crime & Punishment, War & Peace and Moby **** but couldn't get into them.
                            This autocensor thingie is getting more hilarious day by day.
                            Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              I do wonder if Don Quixote by Cervantes is worth reading.
                              No! Read the Cliff Notes...the book isn't worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X