Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which set of revolutionaries do you have the most respect for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which set of revolutionaries do you have the most respect for?

There have been many revolutions in history, some successful, some failed...which of these revolutions do you have the most respect for - as in the people who did them, the goals that they wished to accomplish, the means by which they accomplished their goals, the oppression they had to fight to accomplish their goals, etc.?
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

All of 'em.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

None of 'em
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Some of 'em.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I'm with chegitz.
          "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Okay, having actually thought about the answer I'll have to say that the Khmer Rouge and Sendero Luminoso are not among those revolutionaries that I respect.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I think Gandi is definitely one of my top revolutionary-type people.
              "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

I know too many revolutionaries to be able to answer this in a quick way, and I don't feel like doing all the work to give it a fair answer and then defend my answers for the next three days.

Comment

Martin Luther King Jr., Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee, Rosa Parks -- these revolutionaries I greatly admire.

The other revolutionaries I admire -- those American abolitionists who also believed that blacks and whites are equal.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The ones who overthrew a worse government than they created.
                    Any fit that description?
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Why only the American ones, Mr Fun?
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I like Rage Against The Machine

I think of them every time I see Chegitz Guevara's name.
                        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Let's see.

First of all, democracy's always a pretty important thing. Democracy might be flawed, but it's the best we've invented so far. And revolutions are, by themselves, undemocratic. At basis of each of them is an armed mob, or at least an armed faction, willing to use those arms to achieve their agenda. Rule by cartridge box instead of ballot box.

So, one of the biggest qualifications for revolution is that it happens in a situation where aims of the supporters of revolution could have been achieved via other means. Revolution as a last resort, in other words. Popular support of the revolution is also important. Of course, even if the government is undemocratic, revolution can lead to something worse - evil pretender trying to dethrone good king, for example - and there are other things that mark a good revolution, such as minimum bloodshed and so on - but revolution as a last resort would be the dividing line.

Thus, among good revolutions, I'd have to count such revolutions as Velvet Revolution - non-violence, except from the part of the oppressor, naturally, counts as a plus - and assorted changes of power related to fall of Soviet Empire. Non-violent, mostly led to more or less democratic governments, and didn't exactly happen to the nicest bunch of people available. French Revolution was justifiable, although it's results werent. And on the other end of scale, we have military coups, especially ones which happened in democratic nations - though whether coup is much of a revolution is a different question.
                          "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                          "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                            Why only the American ones, Mr Fun?
                            Just because I do not make an entire laundry list of all the revolutionaries and revolutions I admire, does not mean that I only admire American ones.

For instance, I also greatly admire the Haitian Revolution against slavery and French rule in early 19th century.

But the French Revolution in Europe was a failure that ended in a mindless blood-fest orgy.
                            It unleashed many new ideals though for other European leaders to strive for.
                            But the French Revolution in of itself, failed.
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Even though the Haitian Revolution resulted in genocide? All the French were killed.

Comment

Working...
                              X