No announcement yet.

Bill of Rights trashed in "war" on terrorism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fine, but its not "completely unreliable".
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giancarlo
      CNN is leftist.

And 100,000 votes for yes is enough for me to make up my mind.
      Ok, you admit to being swayed by polls. So we know you have a weak mind. 100,000 votes out of 250+ million people, and not a random sample. Duh.

CNN does an okay job when it came to those percentages because that is pretty much the opinion of the center, and center-left.
      No, it's only the opinion of people choosing to participate in the poll on the Web. There is no way of ever determining the political bents of those participating.

It's an inaccurate "snapshot" poll. It has no validity in determining actual public opinion.

What country are you living in? Somalia? Because anybody can walk right into a internet cafe and get access to computers paying for several hours which costs almost nothing.
      Huh? Ok, what Joe Schmoe factory worker in the Midwest is going to spend is time in an internet Cafe on cnn.com? Or an urban single mother?

You're basically saying that only the opinions of the middle- and upper-class matters in America. Well, that is quite a Republican attitude...

Common knowledge: In order for a poll to be an accurate representation of public opinion, it has to be a random sample. Period. This is not a random sample, ergo it is not an accurate poll.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH
        Fine, but its not "completely unreliable".
        It is completely unreliable as a guage of national public opinion.

It is only reliable as a guage of the opinions of 100,000 people who have access to computers who visited the CNN.com web site and decided to vote in the poll.

Even then, it is not reliable, as all one has to do to vote multiple times in the poll is move to a different computer. That makes it even more unreliable.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Ugh, and it keeps and going and going and going, nothing stops the energizer bunny...

I feel America is backing Bush overwhelmingly and I still think that is the way it is.

You're basically saying that only the opinions of the middle- and upper-class matters in America. Well, that is quite a Republican attitude...
          ERR Wrong. I never said that. A republican attitude? How about you neglecting the people a tax cut? Now that is the democrat attitude...
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Giancarlo: When did I ever "neglect" the people a tax cut? You're assuming I believe something that I've never stated here. For all you know, I could be 100% in favor of the tax cuts.

And what does a tax cut have to do with the accuracy of this CNN poll?

You're just thrashing about aimlessly now.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov

It is completely unreliable as a guage of national public opinion.
              I agree, but then so are all polls on "national public opinion". Its ludicrous to believe that sample sizes of 500->1000->50,000 (and I've never seen one that size anyway) are representative of 280M people in such a diverse country as the USA.

Even then, it is not reliable, as all one has to do to vote multiple times in the poll is move to a different computer. That makes it even more unreliable.
              I'm sure it happens but would you bother? I wouldnt and I dont think many others would either.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH
                I agree, but then so are all polls on "national public opinion". Its ludicrous to believe that sample sizes of 500->1000->50,000 (and I've never seen one that size anyway) are representative of 280M people in such a diverse country as the USA.
                Actually, such polls, when the proper methods are employed, tend to be very accurate in guaging opinion. Look at the Zogby presidential poll in 2000. The day before the Election, it predicted Gore - 49%, Bush - 48%. It was right on the money. That's because they used a good random sample of not elligible voters, but likely voters, based on past voting history.

For a poll to guage national opinion accurately, it merely needs a completely random sample. If the sample is truly random, even a 600-person poll can produce a pretty accurate result. Of course, they all have their percentage of error, and the more you poll, the lower that percentage goes.

But to compare a voluntary Web poll's accuracy to a random sample is apples and oranges. A random sample is, indeed, far more accurate, even if it isn't 100%.

I'm sure it happens but would you bother? I wouldnt and I dont think many others would either.
                You'd be surprised at how far people would go to express their political opinions...
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• In the case of the presidential election there was no biased wording in the poll to complicate the choice and the choices were limited (in more ways than one). Even so the "margin for error" on such small samples is usually plus and minus 3-4% which meant that they actually predicted Gore 45-53% and Bush 44-52% which is not really a prediction at all.

The CNN poll

Comment

Working...
                  X