Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New nuclear power plant to Finland!

On 24th of May, 2002

The finnish parliament has voted for the construction of fifth nuclear power plant to be built in Finland. The vote was tight: 107 for - 92 against.

What do the fellow Apolytoners think about the desicion to build nuclear power plants? Should they be done, or shouldn't they?

Comments, if you have any?
    Yes, build them more, more, more :)
    56.41%
    No, they are doomsday buildings :mad:
    30.77%
    I think we need BANANA-POWAAAAH -plants. :p
    12.82%
    Last edited by aaglo; May 24, 2002, 06:22.
    I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

I'd rather see nuclear power than oil or coal power.

Of course, don't dump the nuke plant's glowing radio-sludge near my house.

Comment

The first thing to do is to increase energy efficiency. When that cannot be improved then you consider building more power plants.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Krhm.

WOOHOO! GO, SCIENCE! IN YOUR FACE, ECO-HIPPIES!

After that burst of gloating it out of the system...

Yes, I think that nuclear power is the best way to solve the coming need for energy. It's more eco-friendly greenhouse-gas-wise than coal or oil, and less expensive than gas or solar power or other options (and gas isn't that atmosphere-friendly, either, in case of a leak.)

Also, to correct aaglo, it wasn't fifth nuclear power plant we're building, but fifth nuclear reactor. Currently, Finland has two power plants and four reactors, and this decision is about adding one more reactor to one of those plants.
        Last edited by Stefu; May 24, 2002, 06:31.
        "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
        "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Excellent, now lets hope for meltdown
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

You Finns must get through a lot of energy to need 5 nuclear power stations. What do you do with it all?
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Sure, build them more.
              You need at least 20 of them. * *

Wait a minute Finland is about 200 km from St. Petersburg.

Comment

PH, we heat our homes. Where did you think the word RADIATOR comes from?

Comment

UR, Finland is already one of the most energy-efficient countries in the world. (Or at least that's what some poster claimed in Iltasanomat.fi discussion board. )

Provost, it's cold in here in winters.
                  "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                  "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

No... St.Petersburg is 200km from Finland. Your perspective is faulted

Comment

I think Russian reactor at Sosnovyi Bori is more threatening to St. Petersburg than any of Finnish reactors. Heck, Russian reactor at Sosnovyi Bori is more threatening to Finland than any of Finnish reactors.

Comment

You are only a country of, say, 3 million people...and nuclear power stations kick out a lot of power. Yorkshire has a population of about 3 million, but there aren't that many power stations inside it; 3 I think.
                        Speaking of Erith:

Comment

...and they are coal.
                          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

PH, you don't know anything about power and it's consumption

Finland pop is about 5 million. And I bet that there is much more industry in finnland than there is in Yorkshire.

And Yorkshire might get quite a lot of power imported from somewhere. But so does Finland (about 50 % of energy used, from which 50% comes from Russia). Now, we cannot rely on imported power - thus the powerplant.

And BTW, the older plants aren't so big, only about 850 MWh (or was it GWh) - but anyway, they aren't big for nuclear plants...

Comment

Finland has 5 million people, you nincompoop.

Comment

Working...
                              X