No announcement yet.

Englands Group in the World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why? they qualified and Holland didn't, you have to regionalize the qualifiers or you's have european players having to jet off to play in China on a wednesday and get back to play league football on the saturday, the clubs (who pay the wages) would never stand for it.

Exactly! And for a World Cup, you'd prefer to have countries from all over the world compete... especially if it is being held outside of Europe.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      And for a World Cup, you'd prefer to have countries from all over the world compete... especially if it is being held outside of Europe.
      Erm...no, I don't.

Comment

how else is the rest of the world supposed to catch up to Europe and South America, but to play them at the highest level?

Look how poor the African nations were until 1990, they got better by playing competative football against the best teams in the world.

PS BTW Senegal were runners-up in the African Nations this year, so they are due some respect!

Comment

Originally posted by Chowlett
          Scotland aren't in because, and as a Scot I can say this, we are a type a Muslim, minus one 'i'.

And for those who are confused, that Musilm is "Shiite"
          Whew!! I thought you meant Sunni!

Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

would you make like to make an exception because we KNOW the Dutch can play better?
            Yes. They are called wildcards. There are used in many other sports, so why can't they be used in soccer? Plus, Europe is grossly underrepresented in the World Cup, considering they have the world's best teams. It's a cup in which only the best teams in the world are allowed to compete. Well, that's clearly not the case here. It's not about Holland as such, cause I'd feel the same way if China was allowed to play but, say, Germany wasn't.
            Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

I think dutch people should shut up already. You did worse in qualifying than Iran, for ****'s sake. Iran actually managed to beat the republic of Ireland, something Holland was unable to do. And since China, etc. beat Iran, based purely on qualifying Holland is worse than all the asian teams. Purely objectively.
              Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
              Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Marcus

Yes. They are called wildcards. There are used in many other sports, so why can't they be used in soccer? Plus, Europe is grossly underrepresented in the World Cup, considering they have the world's best teams. It's a cup in which only the best teams in the world are allowed to compete. Well, that's clearly not the case here. It's not about Holland as such, cause I'd feel the same way if China was allowed to play but, say, Germany wasn't.

FIFA are trying to develop the came in so called third world countries and this is their way of doing it, also teams like Germany, Italy and Holland are given a starting advantage in the qualifying groups because they are seeded, and don't have to play against the other top teams, so if they still can't qualify, well tough!

Comment

I agree with Snapcase. The Netherlands should be nuked.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                    I agree with Snapcase. The Netherlands should be nuked.
                    OK, no Amsterdam meeting then I suppose.

Comment

That was a joke, not a reason to get personal and quit meeting plans.

Comment

No offense intended, but I'm sick of the "Holland should be in, because Costa Rica is in"-vs-"Holland doesn't deserve to be in, because Costa Rica is in"-discussion.

Louis van Gaal is an idiot, that's all.

Comment

Where's the people complaining that Austria isn't in?
                          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Austria has a football team?
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Let's see if he gets this one...

Austria is not a country. Austrian players could try and run for Germany

Comment

The really funny thing about the group is that the runner up in the group will meet the winner of France's group. This means that if England (or Sweden) manages to grab a hold of the second position in the group (I am asuming that Argentina will win the group), they will most likely meet France as their first play-off opponent. Doesent sound like England or Sweden will have a very succesfull world cup this year.
                                No, wait, if we build this large wooden badger......

Comment

Working...
                                X