No announcement yet.

Fiera's 60s Thread Strikes Back. Again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's listed as Pure Michael in my list. But you're right, it was a duet.

I still think you should be able to guess the "correct" person. You of all people should.
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

It has to be Paul McCartney. One solo hits I can think of is "Pipes of Peace", the duet is "Ebony & Ivory" with Stevie Wonder, the group of four is obviously The Beatles, the group of 9 could well be a thing he recorded with The Christians, Holly Johnson, Gerry Marsden, Stock Aitken and Waterman, and the unvelievable big group could well be Band Aid.

He got a #1 with Wings and Mull of Kyntire, but I'm not sure whether that's the group of 5 or 6.

So I still have to think about the trio, and either the quintet or the sextest.

But I am into something, aren't I?
      "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
      - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Of course you're entirely right. You also nailed The Solo Hit, the Duet Hit, the Quartet Hits, the Nine-Piece Hit and the Huge Crowd Hit. And Mull of Kintyre is one of the remaining three.

Comment

Ferry Aid's "Let it Be" must be the sextet, while "Mull of Kyntire" with Wings was most likely a quintet. Cookie for me?

And I can't for the life of me think of the trio hit... damn!
          - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Well I've told you too much, since if I say Mull of Kintyre is not the Quintet you'll get the right answer straight away.

The Wings, in their sixth incarnation (the one that released Mull), were in fact just a Trio. Correct on Ferry Aid.

Now guess the Quintet.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiera

You're wrong again! As a matter of a fact, the only thing I've been able to find is a 1982 #1 hit by Goombay Dance Band, a German/Montserrat collaboration effort according to my references.
              Quite right. They hit #1 with a song called "Seven Tears". I wonder if it was a song about crying or ripped fabric. There have probably been more Montserratians in the charts. I have a list in the back of one of my books that details hits by nationality. Unfortunately, they classify Montserrat as British.

But your question was mean, anyway.
              Why should today be different? Anyway, the answer is Arrow, a male vocalist. He had two chart entries - "Hot Hot Hot", reached #59 in '84, and "Long Time", reached #30 in '85. The latter proved not to be prophetic. The former seems to have been relased on his own label - which speaks volumes - and the latter was released on the London label.

PS. I hope you weren't anywhere near that bomb, were you?
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapcase
                Well I've told you too much, since if I say Mull of Kintyre is not the Quintet you'll get the right answer straight away.

The Wings, in their sixth incarnation (the one that released Mull), were in fact just a Trio. Correct on Ferry Aid.

Now guess the Quintet.
                Yikes! I sleep in one morning, get to the computer late and discover Fiera answering everything!

Hmmm. I'll go back to the long song and album titles.
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Ha, I got it!!! The Beatles with Billy Preston, "Get Back"!
                  - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Cross Post. Yes, of course it is.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar

PS. I hope you weren't anywhere near that bomb, were you?
                      I could have been, had I decided to go earlier to the stadium! It was the Champions League semifinals today, you see, but the blast was fortunately almost four hours before the match. I couldn't go and hang out with my friends near the stadium, as I'm wont to do, 'cause we were all quite scared. Bastards...
                      - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Oh, and you expected me to guess a guy from Montserrat whose greater hit was a #30... You overstimate my knowledge, if such a word exists in English...
                        - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

I have to say, Fiera - and please don't take this as patronising - but your English is now astonishing. Full of all sorts of idiosyncracies. I reckon you're just about ripe to acquire some Australian-isms!

Of course, they'll set your English back about 20 years ...

Comment

Originally posted by finbar
                            I have to say, Fiera - and please don't take this as patronising - but your English is now astonishing. Full of all sorts of idiosyncracies.
                            Thanks, that's great to hear! I've been working on it, of course, and I can tell you that your posts provide me with a lot of new words (ie, ripe), but I must keep on improving- I plan on spending next year in LA (I must especially improve my spoken English but that's another story). So feel free to correct me whenever I make a mistake!

Oh, and in case you're wondering, tomorrow is a holiday too, but only in Madrid!
                            - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

I don't know that you need a great deal of English to get by in LA. You see, they can't spell over there. They - the lazy buggers - omit the letter "u" from a lot of words. Like, for example, "colour", which they spell "color". I'd just stick to Spanish.

I assume the holiday relates to the football result!

Comment

Wrong, the 2nd of May is the day the people of Madrid opposed resistance to the troops of Napoleon, in 1808, thus beginning the War of Independence (or Peninsular War). We are full of nice traditions!
                                - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Working...
                                X