X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
    Asher's help manual would be one line:

"If you don't know how to use this product its YOUR FAULT."

Comon, you have to admit being so overly verbose on the off-chance that some idiot doesn't know how to move windows/objects around in Windows ( ) is stupid.

If you're THAT pathetic at Windows, take the damn tutorial and stop wasting our time.

You NEED to know what objects are called in Windows if you're going to use the helpfiles effectively. Claiming to not know that it was called the "taskbar" is like using the index of a car instruction book and complaining that you didn't know it was called a "steering wheel".

Basics MUST be assumed to make an effective manual, do not blame your laziness and lack of knowledge of the basics on the documentation.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
      A computer is a much more complicated device than a car, yet drivers have to go through a learning process before they are allowed to drive by themselves.
      And there are resources that exist so that someone can go through the learning process with the computer...whether or not they choose to use them is up to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        The Windows helpfiles are there and easy to use and comprehensive providing you know the basics already.
        So why is the instruction on how to move the taskbar under "Locking the taskbar?" How does the average user knows that's the place to look?
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

So why is the instruction on how to move the taskbar under "Locking the taskbar?" How does the average user knows that's the place to look?
          Because when you search for how to move it, that's what comes up. (what a great concept!)

Obviously the keywords you searched for were in the document.

Please tell me you know how search engines work, UR...
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

And at least in my helpfile, the words "taskbar" and "drag" are highlighted so that when you click on them it tells you what they are.

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay37
              And there are resources that exist so that someone can go through the learning process with the computer...whether or not they choose to use them is up to them.
              Same old, same old, blame the user defense.
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

What this thread has degenerated into is:
                AH is trying to defend a rather blatant brainlapse.
                UR is trying to slander MS and MS' products without an informed basis.
                Last edited by Asher; April 29, 2002, 00:50.

Comment

Same old, same old, blame the user defense.
                  I would be absolutelly THRILLED to hear your solution.
                  How do you think AH's problem should be fixed in the future?

Do you want them to alias every possible keyword (even though it'd be incorrect) to this article for all words describing the taskbar?

This should be interesting. I want a good summary of your solution. If you don't have one, admit you've got no idea what you're saying and go away.

Comment

... or the people who ask about postage rates on e-mail.
                    This isn't something to joke about over here right now.
                    Australia Post is trying to grab a piece of that pie by requesting a surcharge on every piece of e-mail sent.

Comment

UR is trying to slander MS and MS' products without a misinformed basis.
                      You are absolutely correct. I am without a misinformed basis. I call a spade a spade.

Comment

UR is trying to slander MS and MS' products without a misinformed basis.
                        And Asher is defending Microsoft - which is like backing a sure loser
                        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I'm not defending Microsoft, I'm defending the sanity of software developers around the world.

What you're proposing is unreasonable, stupid, and would make using helpfiles far more annoying than they currently are.

Comment

I would be absolutelly THRILLED to hear your solution.
                            How do you think AH's problem should be fixed in the future?
                            The solution is to use common sense.

For example, fix the goddamn taskbar at the bottom of the screen so it can't be moved. That saves users lots of headaches with no loss in utility.

It also helps to reduce the number of useless features so they don't confuse users.

Comment

It would be better if the default were that the Task Bar was locked.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I'm not defending Microsoft, I'm defending the sanity of software developers around the world.
                                Hey don't act like you've been caught in the headlights of my speeding car.

You are defending Microsoft. That makes you a LOSER
                                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                                X