Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could add one required course for all students what would it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Re: Ah, PC History.

Originally posted by loinburger

What was the content of the chapter, Tingkai, that I missed out on as a result of my professor cramming ignorance down my throat? Oh, that's right, you don't even know the name of the book, do you. Your audacity is appalling.
    I base my statements on the information you provide. This prof, according to you, did not say that the information was of poor quality. According to you, the prof simply said that the only thing you need to know about women in the west is that there were women in the west.

That's a completely assine statement. The prof is covering up his ears and eyes and screaming like a little child. Like I said, the prof is a twit. And if you believe that he is right....
    Golfing since 67

Comment

You are in college, you have a choice to study African-American history. More power to you.

We are talking about High School, where people should be taught the basic history of the country. That means more emphasis on the events and less on the minority groups view of things. If you want to learn in depth about minorities, there are college classes for that.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

And if you believe that he is right....

Like he said, it was she. Sorry if a woman not caring about women in the old west bursts your bubble about the evil white man .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
          I base my statements on the information you provide.
          And fill in the rest using your own biased assumptions?

This prof, according to you, did not say that the information was of poor quality.
          According to me, she said that the information was useless.

According to you, the prof simply said that the only thing you need to know about women in the west is that there were women in the west.
          According to me, the prof simply said that the only thing you need to know about the chapter was that there were women in the west.

That's a completely assine statement. The prof is covering up his ears and eyes and screaming like a little child. Like I said, the prof is a twit. And if you believe that he is right....
          "Her" and "She," not "His" and "He."

I'm still amazed that you know the exact content of the chapter without even having read the book.

Are you trying to see how deep you can dig a hole for yourself here? You're doing a pretty good job of it...
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Back on track.....

I'd make 'em read Demon Haunted World.
            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar
              I'd make 'em read Demon Haunted World.
              Haven't heard of it. What's it about?

Comment

Haven't heard of it. What's it about?
                One of Carl sagan's books. Basically, it talks about pseudo-science (Bigfoot,Atlantis, UFOs) and it's daners. Debunks a lot of stuff.
                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Physics
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

loinburger: Based on the information you provided, your prof is a twit. Particularly because it leads to students, like yourself, making the following comment:

"You know what women did in the Old West? Not a whole heck of a lot, that's what. That's why my prof skipped the chapter--who wants to learn about butter churning?"
                    And what you can't seem to understand is the content of the book is not relevant to my comments. No historian should say: "The only thing you need to know about these people is that they lived."

Based on your comments, I think the one required course for students should be logics/critical thought.

Enough said.
                    Golfing since 67

Comment

• Re: Ah, PC History.

'There were women in the Old West.' That is all I will expect you to know from this chapter for the next test. Now, on to the next chapter."
                      I notice that all of the offended individuals conviently ignored about four words from the above quote.

David
                      Any flames in this message are solely in the mind of the reader.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tingkai
                        Particularly because it leads to students, like yourself, making the following comment
                        The comment summed up the chapter. I already said that the book covered important parts of history, like Women's Suffrage, not unimportant parts of history, like butter churning.

And what you can't seem to understand is the content of the book is not relevant to my comments. No historian should say: "The only thing you need to know about these people is that they lived."
                        What you can't seem to understand is that she didn't say that. She said that the chapter was useless, not that women didn't do anything in the Old West. You're so arrogantly blind in your self-righteousness that you've completely ignored what I said--not particularly surprising, for if you already know the content of an entire book without having opened it I suppose you feel that you already know the entire content of somebody's posts without actually having to read them.

Based on your comments, I think the one required course for students should be logics/critical thought.
                        Based on your comments, you are apparently about the most presumptuous self-righteous poster on all of Apolyton. You assumed a. that the chapter we skipped was the only one in the book that said anything about women, b. that my professor was a man, c. that the professor skipped the chapter because he (actually she, but we're going off of your assumptions here) doesn't believe that women contributed anything and not because the chapter was, in fact, useless, and in conclusion, d. that my professor is a twit. You can perhaps be forgiven for your assumptions (despite how grossly inaccurate they are), yet you stubbornly stuck with your assumptions even when I corrected you on them. Simply incredible.

I think that we've jacked this thread enough, so if you want to continue to be a self-righteous airhead I suggest that you start a new thread for it. Give it a title like "I'm so damned omniscient that I can make snap judgments about anything I bloody well want to."

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dave
                          I notice that all of the offended individuals conviently ignored about four words from the above quote.
                          Some people will go to great lengths to ignore the truth if gives them something to be offended about. But I digress.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun

How presumptuous of you to think that courses on minority groups is bad.

I have enjoyed the African-American history course that I will be completing in a couple of weeks. A lot on this group that was not covered in the usual history courses.
                            I think that African-Americans have far more important history than others

most, like gay/bi, don't have enough to dedicate a chapter all their own in a general course (now of course I do think that gay/bi man should be covered if he was important, it is only that he should not be covered for being gay/bi, rather for what he did)

Jon Miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Jon Miller, there are entire books written about prominent people who could be argued that they were gay, lesbian or bisexual who lived from the ancient era, to those who are alive today.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• I know

but they have not been as important for being a culture group until recently

they were just gay romans or gay russians

they weren't there own culture

Jon Miller

I got a live one
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X