Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Theory of Evolution Should have never been a part of this game!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Draco aka Se7eN
    Asher i wasnt saying i wasnt a teenager i was saying its foolish to assume that i know nothing because im a teenager.
    He's not assuming you know nothing because you're a teenager, he's assuming you know nothing because you've demonstrated you know nothing in this thread.

And your remark about my grammer is also foolish. I am not arguing with one person, i am probably now arguing with 6 or 7 people trying to respond as fast as i can.

IF you cant understand that much then how can you understand much of anything?
    Oh, bull****.
    I constantly am outnumbered in debates but can still spell properly. Typos are fine, but fundamental spelling errors make me wonder.

Two words come to my mind when i think of evolutionists. Biased and denile
    You're a regular George W., inventing a word like that.
    And it's not evolutionists that are biased and in denial.

Please stop confusing my argument for an argument that religion is right. Im not here for that.
    It doesn't matter, what you're saying hinges on religion being right, so it's a natural extension. Deal with it.

Im here to argue that Evolution is false. IF you were willing to be patient i could however put a rather long post together based on several books i have read.
    By all means, go for it. No more posts until you have your big post.

I would like to add that Provest harrison said somewhere along the lines of that i have been brainwashed.

Well i am turning the tables, i am saying that EVOLUTIONISTS have been brainwashed.
    That's like saying the Jews were the oppressors in world war 2.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

I don't know for sure, but there's zero evidence in favor of it and plenty of evidence against it.
      If there is no way of knowing, then how can there be evidence against it?

There's no proof of it, and if God really was all-powerful and he cared for me he would have done something to show me the way.
      He did (Not Jesus death BTW) but you arent interested. Dont worry though, he wont hold that against you.
      I already know if there is an afterlife I'm going to hell, so I'm hoping there's not and I'm living my life "in the now".
      Hell (as in lake of fire) does not exist.
      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

fossle evidence
        I love you. You are, far and away, one of the best and most disciplined trolls I have ever come across. The way you totally dis' evolution without screaming of creationism from the high heavens, while at the same time promoting creationism is just, well, amazing.

I'm being absolutely serious here. Obviously I don't "agree" with you, but I still admire your work. Even your choice of forum to troll is nothing short of admirable. Thank you sir, thank you for brightening my day.

Comment

Draco, you are now in the OT. Let's face it, there are a lot of kids in the Civ3 forums, that is why I left when the game came out because of it. Here reside the true brains of Apolyton. You'd better know your stuff, or you're toast. Looks like I'm too late, the only question is, should I put butter or margarine on you
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Re: Evolution is still a hypothesis

Originally posted by danimal

What an idiotic statement...Copernicus theories are scientific facts!! Evolution remains a hypothesis...just like creation. However, I will place my wager with Pascal...I will bet on the watch maker.
            I'm sure Odin will be amused. (But not as much as Eris.)
            |"Anything I can do to help?" "Um. Short of dying? No, can't think of a |
            | thing." -Morden, Vir. 'Interludes and Examinations' -Babylon 5 |

Comment

Well, first there's Pascal's wager - in which case your belief is merely a Practical Belief and not a Spiritual, Divine, etc. Belief. I could equate this with telling you that if you went outside right now you would probably get $100 dollars - you would go out there to look, but in the back of your mind you'd be saying "Why am I doing this, there really isn't any money there." Your belief was merely practical and so if tested against an omnipotent God it would surely see through that and you would end up having wasted your short life.

Anyways, on to evolution. IIRC the big sticking point for the Creationists in the other thread was that there are flying squirrels which, given enough time will probably gain the true ability of flight. So, there is an example of an "inbetween" species - one of a very few I might add. At least one of a very few that Creationists might accept. Humans and all other species should be intermediate forms because no species is as of yet perfect. Until every species is perfectly suited to their environment they're not really a fully formed species. Did you know that Caucasians have been getting gradually taller? Back in antiquity they were on average much shorter, very interesting.
              I never know their names, But i smile just the same
              New faces...Strange places,
              Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
              -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

It's because of fluoride. No, seriously, I think it is because of more meat and milk.

Comment

The Compromise

To this subject I always offer a compromise for MYSELF: World is created by a creator, but evolution occured after the world is CREATED.

Scientifically, Evolution CAN be proven. Otherwise, why would it survive this long? You r asking laypeople, common Civ3player who have no in-depth training in the Theory of Evolution, so of course we cannot offer u scientific prove. But if you try any University library, there are a lot of test and experiments etc. that can prove the existence of evolution.

Scientifically u cannot prove Creation. I am SURE you know that. But Sicentifically u can prove Evolution. Living things evolve. That's a fact. BUT REMEMBER: Theory of Evolution only covers the evolving part. THERE WAS NO MENTION OF how everything started in the first place in Darwin's original On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection. Darwin is a Christian himself.

In my AP Biology text book (although i hv to admit is overly sided with Evolution) offers some insights on the evidence for evolution:

1. fossil record
                  Fossil records and rock strata shows that different animals appear during different time periods. For example, u might find a butterfly fossil from the 3rd stratum up, but not below.
                  Another example: Whales evolved from four-legged land mammals that lived some 55 million years ago. Whales nowadays have forelegs in the form of flippers but lacked hind legs, altough they do have small, functionless hind-leg and foot bones that do not extend from the body. Just a few years ago, paleontologists digging in Egypt and Pakistan found fossils of extinct whales that actually had hind legs.

2. Biogeography
                  Biogepgrahy is the geographical distribution of species. Darwin nted that, although the environment of the Falapagos was moe like that of certain tropical islands in distant parts of the world than like the mainland environment of the nearby South America, animals there nonetheless resembled species of the mainland more than they resembled animals on similar but distant islands. The logical explanation was that the Galapagos species evolved from South American immigrants.

3. Comparative Anatomy
                  This is the comparison of body structure in different species. Anatomical similarities among many species give signs of common descent. A great example: same skeletal elemnts make up the forelimbs of humans, cats, whales, and bats, all of which are mammals. the functions of these forelimbs differ. A whale's flipper doesn't do the same hob as a bat's wing, so if these sturctures had been uniquely enigeered, we would expect that their basic designs would be very different. However, their structural similarity would be unsurprising if all mammals descented from a common ancestor with the same basic limb elements.

4. Comparative Embryology
                  This is the study of structures that appear during the development of diff. organisms. This is similar to Cpmparative Anatomy, only this concerns the embryo of living things. Similar evidence can be found.

5. Molecular Biology
                  This is the study of molecular basis of genes and gene expression. I DO hv some examples on this subject, but I'm running late for my English class... so... sorry...

I hope this helps. Again I believe in both Creation and Evolution. and I just thought that to completely reject a theory just because you do KNOW any information / evidence / support for it is kinda... well... childish. Yes, some scientists reject the theory of evolution and natural selection, but far more scientists reject the OTHER EXPLANATION OFFERED. In other words, Theory of Evolution is the most commonly accepted explanation not just in the scientific community, but the whole world.

There. Have a nice evening everyone!

Spicytimothy
                  Image is just your imagination. Reality is rarely revealed. - Geri Halliwell

Comment

evolution is dumb. 'nuff said

Which is cooler. A long drawn out process of ugly hairy, apes turning into men. Or an all powerful supreme being raining fire and water from above creating the earth in 6 days, and creating hot naked chicks.

Which do you think is cooler?

Comment

• Ugly hairy apes can turn into hot naked chicks too!
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Re: Theory of Evolution Should have never been a part of this game!

Lets look at the different stages that a new concept must go through to become a working law of nature. First the concept must be presented and asked. It becomes a hypothisis, it makes a good point and deserves some time to test. After it has been tested in a number of different situations and posibilities and it holds true, it becomes a Theory. After better evaluation and experiments it continues to be true in all situations it becomes law.
                        Close but not quite.

1) Hypothesis is an idea, possibly based on the apparent evidence, but not always. BTW, a perfect example of this is that God exists. See Theory as to why.

2) Theory is a Hypothesis that has repeatable (ie others can get the same result) empiric evidence that it is true. That isn't to say that it has been proven true, just that all the available repeatable empirical evidence supports it. Note that this means accepted evidence, and empirical evidence. Anyone can claim to have evidence to the contrary (ie creationists against evolution), but is not accepted because it is not believable or repeatable. Interestingly enough, God's existance has never made it to this stage due to a lack of repeatable empirical evidence, but at the same time can't make it to the next one either.

3) False Hypothesis or Theory. One that has repeatable empirical evidence that proves it is not true. One that note, I would point out that there is no repeatable empirical evidence that the Hypothesis of God's existance is false.

Now, given that you say:
                        {Evolution is} FALSE.

Evolution is the root of our social problems today.
                        I say, nice Hypothesis (ie that evolution does not occur). Now where is your empirical evidence to turn that into the Theory of Non-evolution?

Edit: Alternately, if you accept that evolution is a theory, please present your empirical evidence that disproves that.
                        Fitz. (n.) Old English
                        1. Child born out of wedlock.
                        2. Bastard.

Comment

• OK if we are going to get technical, obviously im not going to get anywhere with just my opinoin.

Ok i see we have some dissagreements between the Evolutionists. i think most of you would say that Evolution takes millions of years correct? but i heard one person say that the changes from one creature to another happened abruptly LOL
                          ok for the sake of argument lets say that it takes millions of years for evolution to be possable.

That would mean that the earth is very very old, some where along the lines of what? 4 billion years.

Ok then explain this. (note, this information is from various books. if you would like to know which books i can post that too)

Numerous methods have been used to determine the earths true age. Taken as a whole, they give a more reliable indication. Consider some of them:

Magnetic Feild Intensity
                          The earths magnetic field is rapidly decreasing in strength. Assessing the rate of decrease tells us about the planets age. Dr. Thomas Barnes, one of the most respected magnetic field physicists in the world , explains:

If we went back about ten thousand years, the earth;s magnetic field would have been as strong as the field in a magnetic star. A magnetic star is like our sun; it has a nuclear power sourse. Surely our earth never had a magnetic feild stronger than that of a star. That would limit the age of the earth to ten thousand years (taken from william JJ Glashouwer and taylor, "the earth, a young planet?" quoting Thomas Barnes)

Concentration of Ocean salt
                          The concentration of salt in the oceans is steadily growing. Yet the oceans are not nearly salty enoughh to have existed for billions of years. even with generous allowances, the salt concentration suggests they could be no more than 62 million years old at the most.

Preserved red blood cells
                          Preserved red blood cells and hemoglobin have been discoverd in unfossilized dinosaur bones. Evolutionists dated the dinosaur as living 65 million years ago. However, Research shows that such cells could not survive more than a few thousand years. The dinosaur must have.

Absent Supernova
                          Supernova is the name given for the tremendous explosion of a star. It creates a brief light far briger than any other object in a galaxy. Calculations show that the remains of supernovas continue shining for hundreds of thousands of years. yet oservations of our own milky way galaxy do not show any old supernova. This fact suggests the galaxy has not exixted long enough for these to have occurred.

Helium concentration
                          Helium concentration in our atmosphere is gradually increasing. Yet the current amount is only about 1/2000 of what we'd expect if the atmosphere were billions of years old. The helium concentration suggests a younger atmosphere.

World population growth
                          World population growth is esimated by many population experts to be an average of about 2 percent per year. To be very conservative, if the population only increased one half percent per year (allowing generously for plagues, wars, starvation, etc ), in one million years ( the evolutionists gereral estimate of the age of man on planet earth) there would have been 10 to the 2100 power people somehow stacked on earth. (that number of people would actually fill countless trillions of entire universes.) even if an almost zero growth rate of population were assumed, in a million years the earth would have housed 3000000000000 people up until the present age. There is no cultural or fossil evidence for numbers anywhere near that level.
                          At the one have percent growth rate. it would take about 4000 years to produce today's population from a single couple.

Topsoil depth
                          there is an average of seven or eight inches of topsoil that sustains all of life on earth, while the earth beneath the topsoil is as dead as rock. Scientists tell us that the combination of plants, bacterial decay and erosion will produce six inches of topsoil in 5000 to 20000 years. IF the earth had been here for 5 billion years, we should have much more topsoil than the seven or eight inches; more on the order of 56 miles thick!

Earth-moon distance
                          Measurements show that the moon is slowly withdrawing from the earth. Each year, the distance increases by about 1 and half inches, though the rate was likly greater in the past. Calculations show that even if the moon had been in contact with the earth, it would have taken only 1.37 billion years to reach its present distance. This gives a maximum possible age of the moon, not the actual age. This maximum age is still far to young for evolution to have had time to occur, and much younger than the radiomentric "dates" assigned to moon rocks. Since the precise distance of the moon from the earth is critical for regulating ocean tides, the age must be a fraction of that amount of time.

Absent Meteorites
                          Where are the meeorites in the multi billion year old geological column? While most meteors burn up before they reach the earths surface, many (up to 60 tons each day) land on earth. If the supposed geological layers were laid down over millions of years, where are the meteorites in the layers? no such meteors ahve been found in the geological layers.

Short Period comets
                          Our solar system has an abundance of short period comets, that is, comets whose life span averages only 1 500 to 10000 years. yet if the universe is billions of years old, these comets would have disintegrated long ago. evolutions have had to scramble to try and explain their existance.

Our shrinking, self consuming sun
                          It just makes sense to suspect that as the sun burns its fuel, the sun gets smaller. This can give us clues about its true age. Dr. Join A. Eddy, an astrophysisct at the harvard smithsonian high altitud observatory in boulder, colorado, observes:

Dozons of independent studies from the Royal Greenwich Observatory and studies done independently at the US Naval Observatory suggest that the suns diameter is shrinking at the rate of six feet per hour, DR eddy's Studies suggest a solar diameter shrinkage of approximately ten miles per year.

Dennis Peterson applies this information to its logical conclusion:

How does one reconcile the earth being billions of years old, and yet the sun being in contact with the earth only 20 million years ago? whats more, over 99.8 percent of the earths supposed multi billion year history, the earth would have been exponentially to hot to support any hope for life.
                          "Its a great day for Hockey"
                          - Badger Bob Johnson -

Comment

• I think it arrogant to believe any theory is right, be it evolution, creationism or whatever. Of course, some things are more misguided than others.

Assymptotic approach to the truth is the best we can get.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Ok there is only part of the evidence that disproves evolution, there is plenty more.
                              "Its a great day for Hockey"
                              - Badger Bob Johnson -

Comment

• Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Working...
                                X