Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Theory of Evolution Should have never been a part of this game!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LordAzreal

"Evolution!", "No, CREATION.", "Evolution" "no, CREATION DAMN IT!!!", "uhm... Evolution", "YOU MAKE ME SICK!!! YOU GO TO HELL!!! YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!!!"

Yeah I noticed there was an unusual amount of that. Even for a Creation vs. Evolution thread. Mostly it was because Draco had so little understanding of what he was copying from the Creationism sites.

Leave them to live in their dream world back in the dark age. Let them have blind faith. Its their problem, not anyone else's.
    If only that were true. It isn't. The Creationist keep trying to sneak their religious beliefs into the US school systems.

They won't change to your way of thinking because they are unmovable. And when they give you crap about what you believe, just turn and walk away, pay no attention, and get a restraining order of them if necessary.
    Actually I HAVE changed peoples minds upon occasion.

Besides I LIKE argueing. Its entertainment for me. The only problem is that it can be addicting.

If nothing else I have vastly improved my language skills and my typing speed. Not my spelling unfortunatly and I keep leaving words out. Sometimes when I look at something I wrote a while ago I wonder what the heck I had intended to say. Other times I wonder how I managed to say it so well. I am trying to increase the latter and decrease the former.

Comment

• Originally posted by Provost Harrison
      Messing with a loophole in the human psyche, that is all religion really is.
      I couldn't agree more. Being a partial Deist, I see little value in revealed religion. If those sad sods want to sell their souls, minds and individuality to a revealed religion, by all means, that's their problem. Just don't expect people with healthy minds to follow suit.
      Last edited by Jethro83; April 19, 2002, 08:09.
      "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
      "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
      "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by Ethelred
        If only that were true. It isn't. The Creationist keep trying to sneak their religious beliefs into the US school systems.
        Both creation AND evolution need to be taught, in order to help people to make up their own minds. When I was at high school, there was no effort to teach creation whatsoever. This matter shouldn't be allowed to go one-sided EITHER way.

Besides I LIKE argueing. Its entertainment for me. The only problem is that it can be addicting.
        Oh yeah. Arguments are an addictive form of amusement. Even when you are a third party observer.
        "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
        "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
        "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by Zachriel
          Remember Galileo, a devout Christian who confronted the Inquisition because of his love of the truth.
          PS. Galileo was found "judged vehemently suspected of heresy." Digest that phrase for a while.

Comment

• Woah, Creationism should certainly not be taught in a conventional manner is is evolution! Perhaps in RE learning about Genesis it'd be okay to bring it up, but not on any level similar to evolution. The Flat Earth Society would no doubt start whingingmabout being included in the syllabus

Comment

• Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              Well if it is acknowledged that most of the bible is bull**** (I have no qualms with this being an atheist myself), then surely that undermines the whole of Christianity anyway. Why do they bother? Messing with a loophole in the human psyche, that is all religion really is.
              The worst enemies of Christianity are "Christians."

Comment

• "The Flat Earth Society is meeting here today, singing happy little lies"
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by Ethelred
                  If nothing else I have vastly improved my language skills and my typing speed. Not my spelling unfortunatly and I keep leaving words out. Sometimes when I look at something I wrote a while ago I wonder what the heck I had intended to say. Other times I wonder how I managed to say it so well. I am trying to increase the latter and decrease the former.
                  Don't worry about it - your English seems pretty good for a non-native speaker.

The problem with creationism is that you can never disprove it. No matter what evidence you can come up with for evolutioin, the creationist can always turn round and say that God created it that way just to fool us. Therefore arguing against creationists in terms of factual evidence seems a bit pointless.

It is better to agrue with creationists from the viewpoint of philosophy. Evolution would seem to be a marverlously elegent way for God to go about the creation process.

'And God said "Let there be electromagnetic radiation": BANG!'

Comment

• Originally posted by Gibsie
                    Woah, Creationism should certainly not be taught in a conventional manner is is evolution! Perhaps in RE learning about Genesis it'd be okay to bring it up, but not on any level similar to evolution. The Flat Earth Society would no doubt start whingingmabout being included in the syllabus
                    Absolutely right. As a Christian, I know that religion does not belong in the science classroom, and that includes Creationism. When I mix chemical-A and chemical-B the solution turns blue, "because God made it so," is not a scientifically helpful answer.

By trying to cloak their religion with scientific trappings, they are hurting the Church, they are hurting science, and they are hurting their children. The truth matters, and it should matter most to Christians of all people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogan Josh
                      'And God said "Let there be electromagnetic radiation": BANG!'
                      That is a very interesting rephrasing of Genesis and may actually be an accurate statement. Indeed, quantum physics states that all particles in the universe have a "connection" from the moment of creation, and apparently this "connection" is instantaneous (Bell's Inequality Experiment) and stretches across the entire universe. Very interesting indeed.

Of course, this is just philosophical musings, and not a scientific assertion. There are many unknowns.

Comment

• why not just agree to disagree?
                        Draco, that's your opinion. However, the fact is that, whether or not the theory of evolution is true, it DID have a large impact on society. Hence it is a wonder. The END. Wonders are excuses to make some cool stuff happen in the game. Nothing Else. The end. Even if Wonders had to be true somehow, the programmers obviously felt that this part of the fame should be put it in. Call them evolutionists who ignore the truth if you like. don't buy the game if you feel so strongly about it.
                        Last edited by Zevico; April 19, 2002, 08:49.
                        "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

• I must say that I don't think it should be a Wonder in the game anyway- it's not really a tangible thing, but then, neither is Magellen's Expedition. I'd be much happier if it were a philosophy-like advance that gives whomever discovers it first an additional advance or two whilst also opening up several other technologies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zevico
                            Draco, that's your opinion.
                            Only problem is, his opinion is based on a load of creationist bull**** with no basis in real science. It scares me to think someone might believe in this (though this is just a dumb troll).

Comment

• Double post
                              Last edited by Ethelred; April 19, 2002, 09:26.

Comment

• Originally posted by LordAzreal
                                Both creation AND evolution need to be taught, in order to help people to make up their own minds. When I was at high school, there was no effort to teach creation whatsoever. This matter shouldn't be allowed to go one-sided EITHER way.
                                Creationism is a purely religous idea. The US public school system has no business teaching religion except perhaps in a comparitive religions class and I don't think the christians would be thrilled with the results of that sort of class.

You might as well be insisting on Flood theory so the students can decide for themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X