Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Walk Through Jenin
    By Kathy Kelly

On April 17, we entered the Jenin camp for a third time, accompanied by Thawra.

We had met Thawra the night we first entered Jenin. She came into the crowded, makeshift clinic organized by Palestinian Medical Relief Committee workers, cradling Ziad, an 18 day old infant born on the first night of the attack against Jenin. Like most of the young Palestinian workers volunteering with the Medical Relief Committee, she wore ahijab and blue jeans. She had slept very little in the past ten days, working constantly to assist refugees from the camp. Her fiancee, Mustafa, was missing. Many people whispered to us that they were sure he was killed inside the Jenin camp, but that Thawra still hoped he was alive.

Today was Thawra's first chance to find out what had happened to her home. She and her family lived on the first floor of a three story building. Mustafa lived on the third floor.

Entering the camp, we noticed spray painted images that Israeli soldiers must have made the night before. On the entrance gate to one building, in blue paint, was a stick figure image of a little girl holding the Israeli flag... Next to it was a star of David with an exclamation point inside the star.

We passed Israeli soldiers preparing to leave the house they had occupied. Five soldiers and an Armoured Personnel Carrier positioned themselves to protect a soldier as he walked out of the house carrying the garbage. "Five soldiers and an APC to take out the trash," said Jeff. "That's a sure sign that something is radically wrong."

Most of the homes at the edge of the camp are somewhat intact, although doors, windows and walls are badly damaged by tank shells and Apache bullets. Each home that we entered was ransacked. Drawers, desks and closets were emptied. Refrigerators were turned over, light fixtures pulled out of the walls, clothing torn.

I thought of the stories women told me, earlier that morning, about Israeli soldiers entering their homes with large dogs that sniffed at the children as neighbors fled from explosions, snipers, fires and the nightmare chases of bulldozers.

Recovery will take a very long time.

As we climbed higher, entering the demolished center of the camp where close to 100 housing units have been flattened by Israeli Defense Forces, we heard snipers shooting at a small group of men who had come to pull bodies from the rubble. Covered with dust and sweat, and seemingly oblivious to the gunshots, the men, all residents from the camp, pursued the grim task. With pickaxes and shovels, they dug a mass grave. They pulled four bodies out of the rubble, including that of a small child. Little boys stood still, silently watching. One of the many soldiers who stopped us as we walked into Jenin City, several days earlier, told us there were no children in the camp during the attack. That was a lie. But now I wonder if it may have become a strange truth. The concerned frowns on the little boy's faces belonged to hardened men.

An older boy, perhaps 10 or 11 years old, helped carry his father's corpse to the mass grave.

Jeff sat down on a rock and shook his head. "After September 11, I drove toward New York City, and all along the highway carloads of volunteer firemen sped past me, coming from all over the country, to help at Ground Zero. Here, bullets paid for by US taxpayers are being fired on people simply trying to bury their dead."

A family trudged single file, silently, uphill through the debris, carrying their belongings on their heads. Their faces were wracked with grief. One woman carried an infant in her arms. No one spoke as they approached the hilltop. At the top of the hill, in front of a house that was still somewhat intact, a large family was seated as though posed for a family photograph, surrounded by devastation.

Thawra led us to what was once her home. The house is still standing, but every other house in the area is completely demolished. She quickly collected some clothes, then went to the third floor and returned holding Mustafa's blue jeans in her arms. Her eyes welled with tears. We began to wonder if she had lost all hope of finding Mustafa.

Outside her home, we met 8 year old Ahmad. He had found six shiny, small bullets which he showed to his neighbor, Mohammed Abdul Khalil. Mohammed is a 42 year old mason, also trained as an accountant. Having worked in Brazil and Jordan, he now speaks four languages. In Spanish, he told me that he built many kitchens in this area. Mohammed nodded kindly at Ahmad.

A few feet away, Hitan, age 20, and Noor, age 16, dug through the debris with their bare hands to retrieve some few belongings. Hitan found a favorite jacket, torn and covered with dust. She fingered the pockets, then set it aside. Noor laughed as she unearthed a matching pair of shoes. Then Hitan saw the edge of a textbook and the sisters began vigorously digging and tugging until they pulled out five battered and unusable books. Noor held up her public health textbook. Hitan clutched The History of Islamic Civilization.

"You see these girls, they are laughing and seem playful," said, Mohammed, again speaking in Spanish. "It is, you know, a coping mechanism. How else can they manage what they feel?" Hitan stood and pointed emphatically at the small hole she and Noor had dug. "You know," she exclaims, "underneath here, there are four televisions and two computers! All gone. Finished."

Thawra stared sadly, then persisted with her search for information about Mustafa.

I asked Mohammed if he knew a man sorting through a huge mound of rubble next to where we stood. 'He is my cousin. That was our home. He wants to find his passport or his children's documents." Mohammed's cousin then sat down on top of the heap that was once his home, holding his head in his hands.

An army surveillance plane flew overhead.

"We are clear," said Mohammed. "We are not animals. We are people with hearts and blood, just like you. I love my son. I want the life for my family. What force do we have here? Is this a force?" He pointed to the wreckage all around us. "Do we have the atomic bomb?" "Do we have anthrax?"

As we walked away, Jeff pointed at another bone sticking out of the debris. We stepped gingerly around it. Thawra dipped down to pick up a veil lying on the ground, then paused a moment and placed it over the bone.

=========================

Kathy Kelly and Jeff Guntzel help coordinate Voices in the Wilderness, a campaign to end the economic sanctions against Iraq. They traveled to Israel /Palestine in response to calls from the International Solidarity Movement and other organizations working to reduce violence in the region and nonviolently resist Israeli Occupation of Palestine. They can be reached at: info@vitw.org
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by S. Kroeze

It is amazing how well you are able to express the emotions of the Palestinians. They have been living for some 35 years under ghetto-like circumstances.
      Wrong.
      They were under occupation, but their quality of life, comparing to the rest of the Arab world is very high.

They cannot travel abroad, marry or even dig a well without permission of the Israeli government.

Only in the last 1.5 years. Before that, they could do everything they want.

And most of them are willing to die.....

Many, not most.

Should the British have tried to continue their empire in India, though this is a far more -less desert, more mineral resources- alluring country?

But not vital for survival.

I suspect you never read newspapers. Otherwise you would know that European Muslims are frequently despised, not the Jews.

I'm talking about a situation in which the anti-semitic attacks are much more widespread than today. This is unlikely, but not less likely than nuclear holocaust.
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

• Great article Che. The first part really shows how difficult urban warfare in such dense area is.
        The second part is a simple appeal to emotions, they ignore the fact that there was a huge underground bomb factory near the child's house and that in this area there were more bombs than square meters.
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

• I know Kathy Kelly personally. I can say, without hesitation, she is the best human being I've met in my life. She is anti-war, period, so her article isn't about who's right or wrong, it's about war is wrong.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            She is anti-war, period, so her article isn't about who's right or wrong, it's about war is wrong.
            Then I guess there are more then enough articles of her from Israeli cafes, discos and hospitals.

Comment

• It's possible, but the Israelis have enough press of their own. She tends to go where the mainstream press won't.

Comment

• Also, it is not enough to show the suffering of one side to show war is wrong. I would've agreed with her if the article had also contained info about the booby trapping of civilian bodies and homes, the Palestinian snipers, the use of human shields, etc.

Comment

• An interesting report. Surprisingly, it comes from an Arab newspaper.

The 'engineer'

An engineer of the fiercest battle waged by the Palestinians during the invasion of the West Bank spoke to Jonathan Cook about the days of defiance in Jenin

Omar sits restlessly on his chair in the safe-house. He is an "engineer" from Jenin refugee camp: one of the revered bomb-makers from the City of the Bombers. To the Israelis he is the most lethal, and wanted, of terrorists. The poison from the Cobra's head.

We meet late last Thursday, hours after he escaped from the camp as Israeli soldiers took control of the area. We are still close enough to Jenin that we can see the constant stream of illumination flares, three launched by the army at a time, that light up the soldiers' dark work in the city below.

But Omar will not be staying here long. He is going to ground deeper in the West Bank before regrouping with his comrades from Jenin.

There may not be too many. Even according to Israeli army sources, at least a hundred fighters were killed and hundreds more wounded and captured during the eight days of savage fighting.

Omar will not give his name or age. He is slim, in his mid-20s, with a closely cropped beard. He is a member of Islamic Jihad, but says in Jenin all the factions were loyal to only one cause: liberation or death.

Visible beneath a blue bomber jacket is the tightly bandaged stump of his right arm, the end of which he rubs distractedly.

How did he lose it? During the previous invasion of Jenin by the Israeli army several weeks ago, he says. He was hiding with only his arm visible as he tried to throw a 'kwa' -- a home-made pipe bomb -- at a tank. Shrapnel from a shell severed it, he says.

But as a bomb-maker, one of the most highly respected positions in the Palestinian resistance, he could equally have lost the arm in less glorious circumstances: in one of the explosions that are a professional hazard of his job.

Omar admits he is one of only a few dozen fighters not to emerge either dead or in plastic handcuffs from the fiercest battle waged by the Palestinians during the Israeli army's invasion of the West Bank.

Of his group of 30 gunmen, only four escaped from the camp on Wednesday, after the Palestinian arsenal ran dry. Most of the others were shot dead.

"Of all the fighters in the West Bank we were the best prepared," he says. "We started working on our plan: to trap the invading soldiers and blow them up from the moment the Israeli tanks pulled out of Jenin last month."

Omar and other "engineers" made hundreds of explosive devices and carefully chose their locations.

"We had more than 50 houses booby-trapped around the camp. We chose old and empty buildings and the houses of men who were wanted by Israel because we knew the soldiers would search for them," he said.

"We cut off lengths of mains water pipes and packed them with explosives and nails. Then we placed them about four metres apart throughout the houses -- in cupboards, under sinks, in sofas."

The fighters hoped to disable the Israeli army's tanks with much more powerful bombs placed inside rubbish bins on the street. More explosives were hidden inside the cars of Jenin's most wanted men.

Connected by wires, the bombs were set off remotely, triggered by the current from a car battery.

According to Omar, everyone in the camp, including the children, knew where the explosives were located so that there was no danger of civilians being injured. It was the one weakness in the plan.

"We were betrayed by the spies among us," he says. The wires to more than a third of the bombs were cut by soldiers accompanied by collaborators. "If it hadn't been for the spies, the soldiers would never have been able to enter the camp. Once they penetrated the camp, it was much harder to defend."

And what about the explosion and ambush last Tuesday which killed 13 soldiers?

"They were lured there," he says. "We all stopped shooting and the women went out to tell the soldiers that we had run out of bullets and were leaving." The women alerted the fighters as the soldiers reached the booby- trapped area.

"When the senior officers realised what had happened, they shouted through megaphones that they wanted an immediate cease-fire. We let them approach to retrieve the men and then opened fire.

"Some of the soldiers were so shocked and frightened that they mistakenly ran towards us."

On Wednesday, after the fighters ran out of ammunition, he says, armoured vehicles roamed the streets calling out to them in Arabic: "You are finished and can't win against us. We are more powerful than you. Surrender."

He saw one fighter who went down to the street with his hands in the air shot dead by snipers. He chose to flee the camp, although he will not say how.

Using his left arm, Omar shot a revolver during the gun battles.

With a new intensity on his face, he leans forward to ask a question. Do I think the doctors will be able to give him a strong new artificial arm with fingers he can operate. I don't know, I say. Why?

"Because I want to be able to hold a heavy rifle again. That way I can kill more Israeli soldiers. It's that or become a suicide bomber."

Comment

• One thing I don't understand...while there have undoubtably been noncombatent deaths, they are more on the Scale of US's campaigns in Iraq, Somalia, and Afghanistan(regardless of what that woman's studies "professor" in New Hampshire says).

So why are people acting as if Jenin is a Grozny? And why are they being indignant about Jenin, while the Russians have killed perhaps tens of Thousands of Chechens in the past year?

I mean, I do not think the US Armed forces could do any better in flushing out militants in Jenin than the IDF did (in fact, given the IDF's experience, I doubt we could do just as well) so why do people act as though the IDF woke up one fine day and decide to blast Jenin to the ground?(as the Russians did to Grozny?)
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lonestar
                      One thing I don't understand...while there have undoubtably been noncombatent deaths, they are more on the Scale of US's campaigns in Iraq, Somalia, and Afghanistan
                      There are no rescue teams digging through the rubble of Jenin, so right now, it is impossible to say how many civilians are dead under the rubble. As in the massacre at Kibbyah, it is probably higher than you want to believe (and hopefully lower than I fear), since you cannot flee your house during a battle, and have no place to which to escape when the bulldozers come.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

There are no rescue teams digging through the rubble of Jenin, so right now, it is impossible to say how many civilians are dead under the rubble. As in the massacre at Kibbyah, it is probably higher than you want to believe (and hopefully lower than I fear), since you cannot flee your house during a battle, and have no place to which to escape when the bulldozers come.
                        While there may be no *Palestinian* teams, if there aren't any rescue teams at all, I'll eat my hat.
                        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

• There are no rescue teams digging through the rubble of Jenin, so right now, it is impossible to say how many civilians are dead under the rubble.

I guess then that the 40 bodies the palestinains report to have dug up, just walked up themselves??

IDF found ~50 bodies, and the pals ~40 so far.

As in the massacre at Kibbyah, it is probably higher than you want to believe (and hopefully lower than I fear), since you cannot flee your house during a battle, and have no place to which to escape when the bulldozers come.

Erm... most people actually did escape in advance - you could see it in the small temporary camps, and in the fact the news report of "refugees returning to Jenin".

And it is quite hard to compare the misfortunate bombing of a building in which people hid, in Kibya, to a battle which calimed much warrior lives on both sides.

Comment

• There are no rescue teams digging through the rubble of Jenin
                            yes there are. just saw them on TV.

anyway, the BBC has reprorted the numbers of Palestinian deaths are not nearly as high as the ones the palestinians claim.

this seems to go in the right direction for Israel.

And when the UN committee will decide , I will listen carefully , and make my own conclusions about the situation in the world.. as always.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

• So did a guy on CNN. Said that he was allowed to go wherever and saw many signs of property destruction, but no evidence of a masacre.

The PLO claimed the same thing in Lebanon, but it turned out to be BS.

We are only sensitive to this because of the Serbs, and the Serbs are utterly different from Israeli's.

Comment

• The ultimate proof?

Palestinian fighter describes 'hard fight' in Jenin

JERUSALEM (CNN) --A senior member of Palestinian Islamic Jihad who surrendered to Israeli forces in Jenin described the battle as "a very hard fight" in which both sides took on casualties, but he said he didn't see "tens of people" killed by the Israeli army.

Tabaat Mardawi spoke Monday to CNN from the Israeli prison where he was taken after his surrender. His comments were some of the first from a Palestinian fighter from the battle at the Jenin refugee camp, which was the scene of Israel's most fierce offensive during Operation Defensive Shield.

Palestinian officials claim hundreds died in what they are calling a massacre at the camp during Israel's military offensive. Israel vehemently denies the charge, saying deaths -- including 23 of their own soldiers -- came during fierce fighting. The United Nations has formed a fact-finding team to investigate the events at the Jenin camp.

Palestinian Islamic Jihad is a militant group dedicated to the creation of an Islamic Palestinian state and the destruction of Israel.

Mardawi said he and other Palestinian fighters had expected Israel to attack with planes and tanks. He spoke enthusiastically about Israel's decision to send in infantry.

"It was like hunting ... like being given a prize. I couldn't believe it when I saw the soldiers," he said. "The Israelis knew that any soldier who went into the camp like that was going to get killed."

He added: "I've been waiting for a moment like that for years."

Israel Defense Forces spokesmen have said that the decision to use infantry to spearhead the attack – rather than using air power and artillery – stemmed from a desire to limit civilian casualties, even at the risk of higher IDF casualties.

The decision to take the crowded refugee camp – with its narrow streets and alleyways – block by block did prove costly to the Israeli forces. In the worst single incident, Palestinian gunmen ambushed an Israeli unit on April 9 and killed 13 reservists and troops sent to rescue them.

Mardawi drew a map of the camp and talked about the course of the battle. Their weapons were guns and crudely made bombs and booby traps -- "big ones" for tanks and "others the size of a water bottle." He estimated 1,000 to 2,000 bombs and booby traps were spread through the camp.

"It was a very hard fight. We fought at close quarters," he said, "sometimes just a matter of a few meters between us, sometimes even in the same house."

He said there were about 100 Palestinians in the battle -- 60 to 70 fighters from the camp and 20-30 members of the Palestinian security forces.

That figure is not so different from what Israel has said. The Israel Defense Forces has said as many as 200 fighters were in the camp but that about 100 surrendered during the fighting.

Asked about the allegations of a massacre, Mardawi said, "By my own standard, what happened there was a massacre. But if you are asking, 'Did I see tens of people killed?' Frankly, no. In my group, we were in an area with no other people. Three fighters with me were killed. Later when we started to move from place to place, we saw destroyed houses and could smell bodies."

He eventually surrendered when infantry forces disappeared and armored bulldozers appeared.

"The huge bulldozer came in, and we were in destroyed houses," he said. "There were no soldiers or tanks. ... There was nothing I could do against that bulldozer."

"What could I do? I either surrendered or stayed to be buried under the rubble."

Israel has said the use of bulldozers was a tactical necessity to end the fighting and that the devastation of the camp was unfortunate collateral damage.

The U.N. fact-finding team team, headed by former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari, will report its findings about Jenin to U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, who will present them to the Security Council.

Ahtisaari said the team should reach the Jenin camp later this week. No timetable was given for its work.

"Our intention is to meet as soon as possible," he said. "We will, of course, go after all the necessary information" at the camp.

The Palestinian Authority applauded the decision to send the team: "The Palestinian Authority and its leader [Yasser Arafat] welcome the appointment of a fact-finding committee."

In Washington, former Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu criticized the U.N. investigative effort in Jenin "when we've had dozens of proven massacres by Arafat when they didn't lift a finger."

"It's irrelevant, unjust, unfair," Netanyahu told the American-Israel Public Affairs Committee in a speech Monday night. "We should discard [the findings of the U.N. team], the United States and Israel together."

Comment

Working...
                                X